PDA

View Full Version : Fighter 4 / Paladin 16

Snig
2015-10-15, 08:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some thoughts on my Paladin build. Originally I was going to go full on Paladin till 20, taking resilience con at first level for my Con proficiency, but it's such a boring feat.

Then I got to thinking, about starting as a fighter. That would net me str / con proficiency, and free me up to take heavy armor master. With the +1str from that feat my stats will remain the same, and I get a cool feat. Also I'd get two fighting styles, which I would take defense and gwf, since they go great together.

After fighter 1, I'd probably take either 8 or 12 Paladin levels, then maybe 3 more fighter levels for action surge, archetypes and full ASI.

I hate being a level behind, and I'm wondering if it's worth trading Paladin saving throws for fighter? But not having to take resilience con, gaining an extra fighting styles, second wind, and eventually action surge and battle master seems like a reasonable tradeoff?

Any thoughts?

Sigreid
2015-10-15, 09:03 PM
IMO this is a waste. You're charisma bonus to all of your saves will make the proficiency in con and str saves not really necessary. I think you're trading 4 levels of paladin and not really getting anything worthwhile for it.

MaxWilson
2015-10-15, 09:46 PM
I don't agree with Sigreid though about Resilient (Con) being redundant/unnecessary. There's a big difference between a +5 Con bonus and a +11 Con Bonus, even against relatively weak things like a DC 13 Banshee wail or Drow sleep poison. Having both aura and proficiency will be handy.

Therefore, starting as Fighter 1 sounds okay to me for the fighting style and Con save proficiency, but I'm not sure that Fighter 2-4 would feel worth it. At that point you're delaying your best Paladin stuff like Aura of Vitality (Paladin 9) and Aura of Protection (Paladin 6) and whatever your subclass is giving you. I'd say start with Fighter 1 and then hit Paladin 6 ASAP and go by feel from there.

You may discover that you don't even want to stick with Paladin at all past level 9 or so. Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian and even Fighter are pretty front-loaded in 5E.

Corran
2015-10-15, 10:46 PM
My advice is to do what you initially intended. Start as a paladin and take the boring (but absolutely necessary) resilient(con) feat. Starting as a fighter means (beyond being constantly one level behind, which is huge) that you lose that all important wisdom save proficiency. Heavy armor master feat is only good at first levels, then it starts lose in value, avoid this feat (unless you are the only melee char of the group or sth like that, and even then, maybe you should still avoid taking that feat). There is a reason most guides recommend that feat as first pick choice for paladins. If there was ever such a clever way to go around it (such as starting as a fighter, which I ll say, it is tempting but a trap if you plan on advancing significantly in the paladin class), I guess we would have heard by now.

Malifice
2015-10-15, 11:14 PM
Yeah agree.

Go Paladin first and ride it out to 6th. Take resilient con at 4th.

Then dip Fighter for 3 levels (Action surge, an extra fighting style, Second wind and BM manouvers gives you constant/ short rest recharge abilities that are worth it).

Then back into Paladin and ride it out to 11th or 12th.

From there, I prefer 5 levels of sorcerer or Lore bard, but thats just me.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-10-15, 11:41 PM
At that point you're delaying your best Paladin stuff like Aura of Vitality (Paladin 9) and Aura of Protection (Paladin 6) and whatever your subclass is giving you. I'd say start with Fighter 1 and then hit Paladin 6 ASAP and go by feel from there.

You may discover that you don't even want to stick with Paladin at all past level 9 or so. Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian and even Fighter are pretty front-loaded in 5E.Well, if you're already at level 9, I'd get to 11 (auto-smite) or 12 (ASI) and maybe then multiclass.

I would go straight Paladin to get the relevant features ASAP and to maintain spell progression. You're not actually getting that much from Fighter beyond Action Surge and the Con proficiency.

MaxWilson
2015-10-15, 11:54 PM
Well, if you're already at level 9, I'd get to 11 (auto-smite) or 12 (ASI) and maybe then multiclass.

I would go straight Paladin to get the relevant features ASAP and to maintain spell progression. You're not actually getting that much from Fighter beyond Action Surge and the Con proficiency.

De gustibus non disputandum est. Personally I don't like Improved Smite enough to give up two levels specifically for it. It's a meager amount of extra damage (maybe 6 points of damage per round on average, unless you're a Polearm Master or a dual wielder who get about 9 points of damage). If you're going for pure damage you'd be better off using those two levels to multiclass in Warlock and getting Agonizing Blast and Hex, and then spending that ASI on Crossbow Expert. 3 attacks for d10+d6+5 (14) damage each trumps 2 attacks for d8+d8+5(14), and it also means you don't have to pump Str or Dex, and you have an extra invocation and some spells like Expeditious Retreat and Armor of Agathys to go with it. Meanwhile, that Hex allows you to be better at other Paladin things like tanking, e.g. Hex an enemy and use your two attacks to Grapple/Prone him (disadvantage on his Strength checks) and then commence smashing his face in at advantage with your shield on the following turns.

In short, Improved Smite is more of a fringe benefit than something I would deliberately aim for. Paladin 9/Sorc 9/Warlock 2 is pretty awesome though, starting at level 6 and from every level after that. Not what the OP is looking for though.

Malifice
2015-10-15, 11:59 PM
De gustibus non disputandum est. Personally I don't like Improved Smite enough to give up two levels specifically for it. It's a meager amount of extra damage (maybe 6 points of damage per round on average, unless you're a Polearm Master or a dual wielder who get about 9 points of damage). If you're going for pure damage you'd be better off using those two levels to multiclass in Warlock and getting Agonizing Blast and Hex, and then spending that ASI on Crossbow Expert. 3 attacks for d10+d6+5 (14) damage each trumps 2 attacks for d8+d8+5(14), and it also means you don't have to pump Str or Dex, and you have an extra invocation and some spells like Expeditious Retreat and Armor of Agathys to go with it. Meanwhile, that Hex allows you to be better at other Paladin things like tanking, e.g. Hex an enemy and use your two attacks to Grapple/Prone him (disadvantage on his Strength checks) and then commence smashing his face in at advantage with your shield on the following turns.

In short, Improved Smite is more of a fringe benefit than something I would deliberately aim for. Paladin 9/Sorc 9/Warlock 2 is pretty awesome though, starting at level 6 and from every level after that. Not what the OP is looking for though.

Disagree. Its one of the tastiest 11th level abilities in the game for mine, and about the only reason to ever take more than 6 levels in paladin.

An extra d8 damage on every single attack you ever make that doesnt use concentration and stacks with Hex/ hunters mark?

Your polearm fighting vengance paladin gets 4d8 damamge per round tacked on here.

Sign me up.

MaxWilson
2015-10-16, 12:14 AM
De gustibus.

Polearm Master Vengeance Paladin is sacrificing AC (no shield because Polearm Master), defensive spells (no Sanctuary because Vengeance Paladin), and ASIs (because MAD on Strength) in order to convert his bonus action and reaction into medium-ish attacks. I can't see myself ever wanting to make that trade. If I wanted to be a Polearm Master I'd just be a GWM barbearian, and not have to worry about only having advantage on one enemy per short rest. I'd only ever go paladin for sword-and-shield, although on rare occasions I might consider swapping out the shield for a free hand or a shortsword (if I wanted three attacks for a smite nova).

But then, you and I have very, very different playstyles. We knew that already.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-10-16, 12:42 AM

In short, Improved Smite is more of a fringe benefit than something I would deliberately aim for. Paladin 9/Sorc 9/Warlock 2 is pretty awesome though, starting at level 6 and from every level after that. Not what the OP is looking for though.We were talking about fighter dips, though. I'd say your build is more of a spellcaster than a paladin, just looking at the level distribution, though we're quibbling at this point. I do like that Sorcadins are still viable in this edition.

RE: Polearm Master
PM is glorious on a (melee) paladin, in large part because of the reaction attack people ignore (and it's not just you; guides that are supposed to be about optimization ignore it, grumble grumble). GWM Barbs actually get less out of PM (though I'd still take it), since the bonus action attack has some overlap with GWM's bonus action, which happens not only when you crit but whenever you drop a mook with that high damage hit. Yes, two handers miss out on some AC, but you're trading off some AC for a significant damage boost. Also, PM means more opportunities to crit and go nuts with smite on a powerful enemy.

Honestly I would take PM over Shield Master unless I wanted the shield as a style choice. If I wanted a caster-y paladin I might take your Sorcadin build (or just roll a Cleric), but that's a very different character.

djreynolds
2015-10-16, 01:04 AM
Pros to starting out as fighter strength saves, there are a few, and con saves. Better skill selection. Fighting style.

Cons, wisdom is an important save. Behind on class features. Heavy Armor Master, why? Its good for low levels, at higher you'll have stoneskin access, AFB.

Why fighter? Why have two martial characters on the same chassis though. Action surge, IMO, is here and gone in less than 6 seconds. 4 levels for some battle-master maneuvers that will disappear quickly.

Just plain old sorcerer is actually pretty good period on top of the paladin chassis as is bard, and warlock for a ranged option. 4 level of either one will put you into the 6 level spell range, slot at least.

For me, IMHO, if you want fighter than just take 2 levels period and that's it. Grab your action surge at 2nd and leave it. The paladin's class features are too good to wait on.

But really a fighter is more than likely going to grab resilient wis and shield master for shove and evasion.

If you're sword and board paladin you're just gonna grab resilient con and shield master, so its really the same thing.

So why put off paladin class features, you have powerful spells at your disposal that will compete with smite as it is, but holding off your spell progression will make it even more difficult to choose.

So just go straight paladin for now, and later if you feel you need some oomph

grab some sorcerer levels. And grab extend for your buffs, IMO.

Or for melee grab bard for expertise and spell levels.

Or grab warlock for a ranged option, though you should be closing the distance instead of firing off EB.

Citan
2015-10-16, 04:53 AM
Personally I don't like Improved Smite enough to give up two levels specifically for it. It's a meager amount of extra damage (maybe 6 points of damage per round on average, unless you're a Polearm Master or a dual wielder who get about 9 points of damage).

If you're going for pure damage you'd be better off using those two levels to multiclass in Warlock and getting Agonizing Blast and Hex, and then spending that ASI on Crossbow Expert. 3 attacks for d10+d6+5 (14) damage each trumps 2 attacks for d8+d8+5(14), and it also means you don't have to pump Str or Dex, and you have an extra invocation and some spells like Expeditious Retreat and Armor of Agathys to go with it. Meanwhile, that Hex allows you to be better at other Paladin things like tanking, e.g. Hex an enemy and use your two attacks to Grapple/Prone him (disadvantage on his Strength checks) and then commence smashing his face in at advantage with your shield on the following turns.

Hi, I also disagree with you. Not on the fact that this build is good, on the fact that it's always better than going straight Pally 11.
1) For a Vengeance Paladin, Hex is mostly redundant with Hunter's Mark.
2) Armor of Agathys is nice when cast at upper levels. For a Pally lvl 7+, it's a waste of a slot in most cases (you have much better spells to cast or you keep slots for smiting).
3) AEB fully requires to max your CHA and take a Feat to be really great, in addition to the 2-level dips. Huge investment.
4) AEB cannot benefit from magical weapons nor smites, whereas Improved Smite stacks with everything (weapon-buffing spells cast from ally, own's Hunter's Mark, Oath of Vengeance, Improved smite, magic weapons, extra attack).

>>> It can be great if you plan it from the start or for a "solo dedicated" build. Otherwise, it is always a nice alternative (trading better mechanic efficiency for a good ranged attack and lvl 1 spell slots) but not "mechanically better" than straight Pally.

@OP: If you're hesitant, I'd recommend you start Paladin and just play and roleplay your character. You should have plenty of fun already, you can always multiclass later (and maybe you will want to multiclass into something else than Fighter ^^).
EDIT: Also fully agree on djreynolds comments. :) I tend to love Sorcerer as multiclass for additional slots/spells and Metamagic ("liberating" the Warcaster feat, or ensuring enemy fails the save throw, or double buff/debuff...).
Bard is my other love because if you multiclass early, you can still use Magic Secrets to cherry pick the best Paladin spells nearly "as early" as straight Pally.
Never go less than Pally 6 (or 7 for Ancients/Oathbreaker) anyways. :)

Snig
2015-10-16, 05:14 PM
I'm wondering why everyone is saying that heavy armor master is a bad feat to take? Everything i've read seem to think it's a great feat. I have read that it tapers off a bit at higher levels, but still remains a good boost to survivability, expecially against multiattackign enemies.

Even the paladin guides i've read rate it at blue, and sky blue (for variant humans).

Keep in mind I am a variant human, and instead of taking paladin at first level with Resilience Con, i'm taking fighter with HAM.

What I gain is
- +1 AC from Defense fighting style
- STR and CON saves
- Second Wind
- Heavy Armor Mastery Feat

What I lose
- 1 level behind on paladin progression
- WIS and CHA saves

I really think the benifits of HAM and the +1 AC from a 2nd fighting style will really help me in the defense department, since i'm going GWF+GWM and don't have a shield or shield master.

After Fighter 1 i'll probably get to at least Paladin 8-11 ASAP, then i'll probably take my 2nd level in fighter.

Sigreid
2015-10-16, 06:34 PM
I don't agree with Sigreid though about Resilient (Con) being redundant/unnecessary. There's a big difference between a +5 Con bonus and a +11 Con Bonus, even against relatively weak things like a DC 13 Banshee wail or Drow sleep poison. Having both aura and proficiency will be handy.

Therefore, starting as Fighter 1 sounds okay to me for the fighting style and Con save proficiency, but I'm not sure that Fighter 2-4 would feel worth it. At that point you're delaying your best Paladin stuff like Aura of Vitality (Paladin 9) and Aura of Protection (Paladin 6) and whatever your subclass is giving you. I'd say start with Fighter 1 and then hit Paladin 6 ASAP and go by feel from there.

You may discover that you don't even want to stick with Paladin at all past level 9 or so. Paladin/Ranger/Barbarian and even Fighter are pretty front-loaded in 5E.

I did say not necessary. Higher numbers are always useful.

bid
2015-10-16, 06:54 PM
I'm wondering why everyone is saying that heavy armor master is a bad feat to take? Everything i've read seem to think it's a great feat. I have read that it tapers off a bit at higher levels, but still remains a good boost to survivability, expecially against multiattacking enemies.
It is ok, but it loses all value at higher levels:
- it does nothing for magical weapons or anything magic really.
- defensive duelist saves way more hp by stopping one hit every few round.
- inspiring leader gives 25 thp per character, with 4 characters in your party you'd will be dead before coming close with HAM.

It's just as un-sexy as resilient, but it works fine until the mid levels.

Sigreid
2015-10-16, 07:39 PM
- inspiring leader gives 25 thp per character, with 4 characters in your party you'd will be dead before coming close with HAM.

It will continue to help with situations where low level mobs are ganging up on you. And most of the higher level monsters I've looked at don't have magic attacks. 3hp per hit isn't huge, but can add up pretty fast.

Rhaegar14
2015-10-16, 08:46 PM

Emphasis mine. This is a borderline irrelevant point. Defensive Duelist requires Dexterity 13, which is a stat most Strength Paladins are not going to have above a 10, and almost no Dexterity Paladin is going to multiclass, since their multiclass requirements include Strength 13.

You're also directly comparing the benefit of Heavy Armor Master, a half-feat (it includes +1 Strength), to full feats. Of course the full feats are gonna be stronger, but if you have an odd Strength score, HAM also gives you a +1 to attack and damage.

@OP: I've thought about adding Fighter levels to my Paladin after level 12, but it does cost you some of your coolest spells. Personally, I would go with Champion rather than Battle Master. The expanded crit range has really nice synergy with Smite.

bid
2015-10-16, 08:49 PM
It will continue to help with situations where low level mobs are ganging up on you. And most of the higher level monsters I've looked at don't have magic attacks. 3hp per hit isn't huge, but can add up pretty fast.
I wasn't quite replying to you, but since you seem to know about this... Could you give a concrete example on under which condition is HAM as good as inspiring leader at say... level 10?

Rhaegar14
2015-10-16, 09:01 PM
I wasn't quite replying to you, but since you seem to know about this... Could you give a concrete example on under which condition is HAM as good as inspiring leader at say... level 10?

Admittedly I'm not the one being addressed, but here's my answer to that question:

On its best day, Inspiring Leader will give YOU +39 hp, assuming Charisma 16. This means that, over the course of a day where you took two short rests and still saw combat after the last one (so 8-10 encounters), if you are hit by at least 14 nonmagical attacks (again, over the entire day) then Heavy Armor Master does more to keep YOU alive than Inspiring Leader. If you have, say, Sentinel, then your personal longevity is more important than everybody else's (though maybe not to the tune of 39 hp per person, admittedly), because enemies will focus their attention on you. Whether the attacks are nonmagical depends entirely on what enemies you're fighting, but even at this level a common NPC is not going to have a magical weapon in all likelihood, since they're optional in this edition.

Plus, you know, rounding up an odd Strength score. See above.

Sigreid
2015-10-16, 09:18 PM

The easiest example is kobolds are unlikely to do more than 1hp damage even on those rare occasions they hit. beyond that, any situation where you can survive 9 hits by a being or group of beings that do not have a magic attack but rely on slashing, piercing or blunt. Closing on a group of archers also comes to mind.

It's not the be all end all of feats but I think you'll always occasionally find situations where you'd enjoy finding it.

bid
2015-10-16, 09:31 PM
First, I'm answering "why everyone is saying that heavy armor master is a bad feat to take". Don't shoot the messenger.

Emphasis mine. This is a borderline irrelevant point. Defensive Duelist requires Dexterity 13, which is a stat most Strength Paladins are not going to have above a 10, and almost no Dexterity Paladin is going to multiclass, since their multiclass requirements include Strength 13.
Well it shows why HAM is considered weak by some, as compared to its Dex-equivalent (as fighters see it) and Cha-equivalent feats (as bards see it).

You're also directly comparing the benefit of Heavy Armor Master, a half-feat (it includes +1 Strength), to full feats. Of course the full feats are gonna be stronger, but if you have an odd Strength score, HAM also gives you a +1 to attack and damage.
In that sense, it could be compared to racial features since you get +2/+1 with that half-feat. Or even the half-elf package which is +2 stat, darkvision, fey ancestry and a skill compared to the full feat.

Another reason why it is a "bad" feat is the MADness and the 3-4 ASI it requires. I think resilient, shield master, sentinel and inspiring leader are more popular picks. That relegates HAM to second tier.

bid
2015-10-16, 09:47 PM
On its best day, Inspiring Leader will give YOU +39 hp, assuming Charisma 16. This means that, over the course of a day where you took two short rests and still saw combat after the last one (so 8-10 encounters), if you are hit by at least 14 nonmagical attacks (again, over the entire day) then Heavy Armor Master does more to keep YOU alive than Inspiring Leader. If you have, say, Sentinel, then your personal longevity is more important than everybody else's (though maybe not to the tune of 39 hp per person, admittedly), because enemies will focus their attention on you. Whether the attacks are nonmagical depends entirely on what enemies you're fighting, but even at this level a common NPC is not going to have a magical weapon in all likelihood, since they're optional in this edition.
Thank you, that is a clear and factual answer.

I admit I just don't see how tanking can work when a single mob can take one for the team and allow the rest to zerg the back line. I feel the DM has to cheat against the rule to bring back that heroic fantasy feel, as if the mobs didn't know there was a single reaction per round. But mechanically you won't take more than half the damage if only because you shouldn't be out of resources/HD when the others are still fresh.

PoeticDwarf
2015-10-17, 06:14 AM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some thoughts on my Paladin build. Originally I was going to go full on Paladin till 20, taking resilience con at first level for my Con proficiency, but it's such a boring feat.

Then I got to thinking, about starting as a fighter. That would net me str / con proficiency, and free me up to take heavy armor master. With the +1str from that feat my stats will remain the same, and I get a cool feat. Also I'd get two fighting styles, which I would take defense and gwf, since they go great together.

After fighter 1, I'd probably take either 8 or 12 Paladin levels, then maybe 3 more fighter levels for action surge, archetypes and full ASI.

I hate being a level behind, and I'm wondering if it's worth trading Paladin saving throws for fighter? But not having to take resilience con, gaining an extra fighting styles, second wind, and eventually action surge and battle master seems like a reasonable tradeoff?

Any thoughts?

If you have decent stats, better go just 3 fighter for level 5 spells, then it is not a bad choice at all.

numerek
2015-10-17, 09:42 AM
A few people have mentioned multiclassing with sorcerer but they don't mention that it gives constitution saving throw proficiency. (I mention this because they also mentioned multiclassing into other classes that don't give constitution saving throw proficiency)

Draconic allows a dex paladin to get heavy armor level AC.

Storm provides a way to disengage which would work with paladin smite spells and therefore not take up your normal action.

Plus it gives access to shield which has been very strong in the campaign I've been playing in.

Another good first level spell is thunderwave if your party can cast walls that damage when someone enters them which the designer have confirmed that it doesn't matter if they entered willingly or were forced in. Plus useful if the terrain contains hazards.

Magic missile is also good for enemies that are hard to damage any other way.

Rhaegar14
2015-10-20, 02:51 AM
Thank you, that is a clear and factual answer.

I admit I just don't see how tanking can work when a single mob can take one for the team and allow the rest to zerg the back line. I feel the DM has to cheat against the rule to bring back that heroic fantasy feel, as if the mobs didn't know there was a single reaction per round. But mechanically you won't take more than half the damage if only because you shouldn't be out of resources/HD when the others are still fresh.

Sentinel does not, in any way, give you the ability to lock down an entire battlefield, but the punishments it creates for ignoring you do make you a priority target. Besides, from an in-character perspective, there are many types of enemies that aren't going to have the tactical sense to realize that you can only punish one of them (though this could go both ways, and some enemies simply may not care), and others that are selfish (such as your archetypal cowardly goblins) and are not gonna volunteer to get slammed by the Paladin so their buddies can go past.

Malifice
2015-10-20, 03:54 AM
Under no circumstance would I dop fighter at 1st.

It gives you nothing but Con saves and delays divine smite, extra attack and divine grace by a level.

Get to 6th as Paladin. Do not pass go, do not collect 200gp.

If youre that worried about concentration saves at low level go vuman and take resilient [con] or warcaster or pick it up at 4th. At sixth level youre adding your charisma bonus to your con bonus so expect Con saves of +5 at least from that point onwards anyways. Its something to pick up later on in my view.

Paladin is one of those classes that doesnt need GWM or shield master to be a good melee damage dealer.

djreynolds
2015-10-21, 02:23 AM
Very, very true. Paladins and barbarians hardly need feats. But paladins cast and you have a lot of concentration spells. You will be in melee getting hit. Resilient in Con is almost better than war caster, because your shield can be your holy symbol. But both are better.

Heavy Armor master is good, but not great. If you have rolled all 18's take it, otherwise you will want 20 in strength and sentinel is a game changer. Really that powerful.

You have 5 feats, but let's forget the one at 19th level and just say 4. 5 human variant. Take resilient con, good advice there. At 4 I would say sentinel, but strength or charisma is good as well. At 8, you just got some good spells so war caster is beneficial. You have smites for damage. If your worried about grappling or being grappled, bard is a nice multiclass and is also a full caster. Meaning more smites and they have charisma synergy.

Malifice
2015-10-21, 02:39 AM
Very, very true. Paladins and barbarians hardly need feats. But paladins cast and you have a lot of concentration spells. You will be in melee getting hit. Resilient in Con is almost better than war caster, because your shield can be your holy symbol. But both are better.

They dont cast that much, using spells for smites as often as not. From 6th level they add Cha to their Con saves anyway (being 2 of their best three stats).

They can kind of get away with not being proficient in Con saves.

djreynolds
2015-10-21, 03:34 AM
I would take 12 paladin and 8 sorcerer. Can't go too wrong with this build.

Malifice
2015-10-21, 03:57 AM
I would take 12 paladin and 8 sorcerer. Can't go too wrong with this build.

Paladin 11/ Lore Bard 9 is tasty too. Expertise in 2 skills, proficiency in another 4, half in the rest (and +3 to initiative). Bardic inspiration, song of rest, cutting words, solid spell selection of 5th level spells (and choice of 2 at 6th).

Good Warlord/ Marhsal flavor.

Gwendol
2015-10-21, 04:26 AM
Fighter 1 when going for paladin is not recommended. Better to get spells and other class abilities early is my experience. Paladin 1 is not a very exciting character to play, and so try to get that level out of the way asap.