PDA

View Full Version : Blade Caster [class]

drawingfreak
2007-05-23, 01:49 AM
I had been looking for a class that casted magic spells via their weapons, and though there were a few, I just couldn't find one that fit what I wanted. Thusly, I created this using this fancy little PDF (http://www.dndworld.com/3e/classes/classconstruction.pdf) I found. Now, I know that it is technically used for 3E (where I work in 3.5) but, eh. Close enough for what I wanted at the time. Further assistance to bring it all the way to 3.5 would be appreciated.

Blade Caster
Legend tells of warriors so attuned to their weapons, that it is almost as if they dance with them. The Blade Caster is one of these warriors. Through the almost religious practice of spiritually bonding steel to flesh, the Blade Caster's dance calls for his spells as he attacks his enemies.
Adventures: A Blade Caster goes where he wishes, fights for what he believes in, and attacks his enemies head on. They are suited for everything, be it a short dungeon crawl, or a full out war.
Characteristics: For at least an hour a day, a Blade Master must meditate upon his weapons and practice their dance. Otherwise, he might grow weak in spirit and lose his ability to cast.

Game Rule Information
Abilities:Dexterity is needed to Weapon Channel. Strength is also good for basic melee attacks. Wisdom is used to cast their spells.
Alignment:Any Chaotic. A Blade Caster acts according to his own wishes, whether they be noble or evil.
Hit Dice:d8

Class Skills
Balance, Climb, Concentration, Disable Device, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, Tumble
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4+INT modifier)x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+INT modifier

{TABLE]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Weapon Channeling, Armored Casting (light), Bonus Feat
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|---
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|---
4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Bonus Feat
5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|---
6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|---
7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|Bonus Feat
8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|---
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|---
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|Bonus Feat
11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|---
12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|---
13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4|Bonus Feat
14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|---
15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|---
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|Bonus Feat
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|---
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|---
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|Bonus Feat
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|---
[/TABLE]

Class Features
Weapons and Armor Prof.: A Blade Caster is proficient in all Simple and Martial Weapons and Light Armor.
Weapon Channeling: A Blade Caster has the ability to cast spells using his weapons to direct and damage the target. All spell components are replaced with somatic dancing with the Blade Caster's weapon/s of choice. A Blade Caster also has the ability to enchant his weapon/s with a spell of his choosing. Doing so takes a full round action. Spell effect is added to weapon damage. (Certain spells would seem ridiculous to enchant a weapon with. Ask your DM ahead of time if a certain spell can or cannot be enchanted onto your weapon.) If the Blade Caster does not have the Weapon Finesse feat, then he must first succeed a Perform skill check using his Dexterity Modifier rather than his Charisma, before making an attack roll. DC determined by DM.
Armored Casting (light): Ignore the Armor Spell Failure for all light armor.
Bonus Feats: At 1st, 4th, 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th levels, the Blade Caster gains one feat from the Fighter Bonus Feats list.

Spells
The Blade Caster uses spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list.
{TABLE]|Spells Per Day|||||||||
Level|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1st|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
4th|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
5th|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
6th|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
7th|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-
8th|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-|-
9th|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-
10th|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-|-
11th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
12th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-
13th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
14th|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-
15th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-
16th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-
17th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1
18th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2
19th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3
20th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/TABLE]

{TABLE]|Spells Known|||||||||
Level|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1st|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2nd|5|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3rd|5|3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
4th|6|3|1|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
5th|6|4|2|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
6th|7|4|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-
7th|7|5|3|2|-|-|-|-|-|-
8th|8|5|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-
9th|8|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-|-
10th|9|5|4|3|2|1|-|-|-|-
11th|9|5|5|4|3|2|-|-|-|-
12th|9|5|5|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
13th|9|5|5|4|4|3|2|-|-|-
14th|9|5|5|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
15th|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|2|-|-
16th|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|2|1|-
17th|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|2|-
18th|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|2|1
19th|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|3|2
20th|9|5|5|4|4|4|3|3|3|3
[/TABLE]

Matthew
2007-05-24, 08:30 PM
This seems quite overpowered to me. What Spell List does this Base Class select from?

drawingfreak
2007-05-25, 08:25 AM
This seems quite overpowered to me. What Spell List does this Base Class select from?
The Sorcerer/Wizard spell list. Putting it in now.

The J Pizzel
2007-05-25, 08:29 AM
So it's a Duskblade with fewer class abilities and extra feats. Cool.

Edit - just saw the spell progression. Maybe a little overpowerd but I still like it.

jp

drawingfreak
2007-05-25, 08:37 AM
Spell progression was an afterthought at the time of creation. Suggestions?

Hefty Lefty
2007-05-25, 08:48 AM
Why the long jump between Bonus Feats at 13 and 17? They were increasing by two and then suddenly changed.

drawingfreak
2007-05-25, 08:50 AM
I had a reason at the time...can't remember. I think it had something to do with the class construction guide I was using.

Edit: Hmm, upon looking at the pdf again, i didn't give the class and alignment constriction at the time. If I calculate that in, then I can gain an extra feat to even it out. Doing so now.

Edit 2: Made some changes to the Weapon Channeling ability.

Akennedy
2007-05-25, 09:18 AM
Okay, in all honesty I like the idea and have looked at different classes or paths via classes and prestige classes, however...

Personally, I find this class extremely overpowered. Fighter's base attack bonus, some fighter feats, d8 hit die, wizards spells per day, sorcerers method of casting, 4+int for skills, and can cast in light armor, medium with the battle caster feat.
So, remind me again, why play a sorcerer? this way, you get all the benefits of casting including his spell list, and a fighter's bab and cleric's hd and wear decent armor. This is the better arcane equivilent of a cleric!
Weapon Channelling - Uh? Perform check? What's the DC (determined by DM? How about 15{or 20} + [1.5*spell level]). Weapon Finesse??? It only applies to light weapons! So I can only weapon channel with light weapons?

So just to prove how good he is, he can have a mithral +5 full plate of major fire resistance, have a +5 spell storing flaming burst greatsword cast a fireball into spell storing, and use weapon channelling to put in another fireball, then hit something for 2d6+1d6+10d6+10d6?

Overall, too good. Just saying, it would be too TOO good compared to base classes. Also, for the bonus feats, he should also be able to choose from the wizard bonus feat list too. Also, More fluff would be nice :)

drawingfreak
2007-05-25, 09:27 AM
So, remind me again, why play a sorcerer?
Funny story, the character I created the class for started as a Sorcerer.

Thanks for the input. I will do what I can when I find the time. (Finals suck)

Akennedy
2007-05-25, 03:15 PM
Finals do suck >_<

drawingfreak
2007-05-26, 08:05 AM
Hmm...mayhaps he should be upgraded to prestige?

Legoman
2007-05-26, 08:57 AM
Hmm...mayhaps he should be upgraded to prestige?

Or, y'know, just use the Duskblade out of PHB II...

drawingfreak
2007-05-26, 09:18 AM
Or, y'know, just use the Duskblade out of PHB II...
Like I said earlier, it just didn't have what I thought I needed for a class.

Ceiling009
2007-05-26, 01:12 PM
You could lower the BAB, and it be a lot like the Psychic Warrior... or make the spell progression less, like cut it down to 6th level spells while keeping the BAB, seriously though, who plays sorceror all the way through? It's an interesting alternative to the Duskblade, and I like it...

Akennedy
2007-05-26, 02:46 PM
You could lower the BAB, and it be a lot like the Psychic Warrior... or make the spell progression less, like cut it down to 6th level spells while keeping the BAB, seriously though, who plays sorceror all the way through? It's an interesting alternative to the Duskblade, and I like it...

Well, the Battle Sorcerer (from unearthed arcana) should be taken into consideration. Cleric Bab, d8 hd and (sorcerer spells known and spells per day) - 1. If you wanted a benchmark, I would suggest that.

Ceres
2007-05-26, 07:00 PM
As others have mentioned, it is way too overpowered. Take some time and compare it's power relative to the other classes.

And as another note, this class has a "flaw" that was very common in 3.0 classes. It's most powerful ability is given at lvl 1, which means that other classes could benefit a lot from taking a level "dip", getting one more bab, d8 HD, some spells, not having to use other spell-components than somatic, and so on. Fixing this will probably not be as easy as moving the ability up a few levels, as this would take away the flavour at low levels, but you certainly have to do something.

Keep up the good work, and thank you for helping the community :)

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-26, 07:05 PM
It just really doesn't feel like you put enough thought into this.

It's a sorcerer with Full BaB and bonus feats, and Spell Channeling (The ability that breaks Duskblades. For the record, they're a terrible example of how to build a class, they're horribly overpowered.)

It lacks a real defining concept outside of just being a "better sorcerer/fighter"

Vuzzmop
2007-05-26, 07:11 PM
Another gish? Ick.

weenie
2007-05-28, 04:39 AM
Well, the Battle Sorcerer (from unearthed arcana) should be taken into consideration. Cleric Bab, d8 hd and (sorcerer spells known and spells per day) - 1. If you wanted a benchmark, I would suggest that.

I concur. I'm currently playing a battle sorcerer and he's quite a destruction machine. Well, of course it's not as strong as a fighter, and doesn't have such a large spell selection as a regular sorcerer, but he's still strong enough to make a decent warrior and a good spellcaster. On the other hand, the blade caster is a ****ing tank and an efficient spellcaster at the same time. Ok, he does get 2 spell slots less for each level than a sorcerer would get, but with a full BaB you don't really need all that casting.. I would never allow a player to play such an overpowered class in my campaign. The other characters would simply look weak compared to this one. Just compare it to a friggin' bard for God's sake!

Ok, but let that be for the moment. Making a class weaker is not a hard thing to do. Here are the other things that bugged me the most:

- Saving throws. It's just the opposite of what I would have used.

- The Weapon channeling ability doesn't seem completley in line with the character. Don't really know about you others, but I really can't picture such a powerfull character performing around in order to channell a spell with his weapon.

- Why would someone need wisdom to cast spells from the sorcerer/wizzard list the exact way a sorcerer does?

drawingfreak
2007-05-28, 01:36 PM
- Why would someone need wisdom to cast spells from the sorcerer/wizzard list the exact way a sorcerer does?
I can at least answer this one atm...

Each spell has a certain "dance". It's different from person to person so knowledge/INT of "steps" is useless. It's also not trying to be impressive or "shiny" so CHA seems ridiculous to use. The Blade Caster has to feel deep down within himself for the "steps" to the "dance". Therefore, I chose WIS.

weenie
2007-05-28, 04:01 PM
Each spell has a certain "dance". It's different from person to person so knowledge/INT of "steps" is useless. It's also not trying to be impressive or "shiny" so CHA seems ridiculous to use. The Blade Caster has to feel deep down within himself for the "steps" to the "dance". Therefore, I chose WIS.

Ok, I may be getting a bit annoying over here, but "shiny" is used three times in the definition of the word "dance". If someone has a power that comes from within, that is completley unrelated to all the other things and beeings around him it simply has to be charisma based. A cute example:

Clerics and druids are the two core base classes that use wisdom for spellcasting. And there is completley nothing that comes from within to their spells. Both classes have to pray to their diety for spells and even if some are capable of tapping their own soul to recieve spells, that is an exotic scenario and would require us to bend rules that have been already bent, therefore I would'n suggest it. Now bards on the other hand(we've used the sorcerer for comparisons long enough) cast their spells with their music, something that comes naturally to them and that they weren't granted by anyone, and they are completley charisma powered. I think I made my case :smallsmile:

Catch
2007-05-28, 04:27 PM
No. No. No. No.

You've basically taken a fighter and a wizard, smashed them together and called it a class. That's in no way balanced or even innovative. As an rule, you do not mix a full BAB progression with full casting. Why play a wizard? Why play a fighter? You can't have it all.

The whole point of a gish is to dabble. A little spellcasting to enhance your bladework, a little martial prowess to back up your spells. You draw from both styles of combat, and you're passable at both, but a master of neither. That's how the dichotomy works.

As an example, the Duskblade from the PHB II is a passable gish that doesn't involve multiclassing, and it's probably closer to what you're trying to emulate. As far as multiclassing is concerned, a simple build is something like Fighter 1/Wizard 6/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 10/Archmage 2. More complex builds look somewhat like this: Paladin 2/Bard 7/Eldritch Knight 1/Sublime Chord 2/Eldritch Knight 3/Sacred Exorcist 4/Eldritch Knight 6.

Seriously, no more gish base classes.

Overlord
2007-05-28, 11:49 PM
No. No. No. No.

You've basically taken a fighter and a wizard, smashed them together and called it a class. That's in no way balanced or even innovative. As an rule, you do not mix a full BAB progression with full casting. Why play a wizard? Why play a fighter? You can't have it all.

The whole point of a gish is to dabble. A little spellcasting to enhance your bladework, a little martial prowess to back up your spells. You draw from both styles of combat, and you're passable at both, but a master of neither. That's how the dichotomy works.

As an example, the Duskblade from the PHB II is a passable gish that doesn't involve multiclassing, and it's probably closer to what you're trying to emulate. As far as multiclassing is concerned, a simple build is something like Fighter 1/Wizard 6/Spellsword 1/Eldritch Knight 10/Archmage 2. More complex builds look somewhat like this: Paladin 2/Bard 7/Eldritch Knight 1/Sublime Chord 2/Eldritch Knight 3/Sacred Exorcist 4/Eldritch Knight 6.

Seriously, no more gish base classes.

Agreed on all points.

Except one: a Paladin 2/Bard 7/Eldritch Knight 1/Sublime Chord 2/Eldritch Knight 3/Sacred Exorcist 4/Eldritch Knight 6 would be a 25th level character. :smallbiggrin:

drawingfreak
2007-05-29, 10:39 AM
Been looking at the "How to Homebrew" or whatever that thread is called that is stickied at the top...

IDEAS/Notes!

Make BaB average
Spells known dropped to Archivist-like
Bad Fort, Good Ref, Good Will
Possible HD reduction
custom Spell list
Note to self: set DCs, stupid
Mayhaps seperate weapon enchantment from weapon channel

I like the abilities...I don't wanna change them and you can't make me. *stamps foot and storms off* :smalltongue:

D Knight
2007-05-29, 11:23 AM
there are a few problems that need to be addressed like mithril med armor becomes light armor even if you do not take battle caster. also make bounes feats come a little slower like every 4 lv's. but from that it rocks great job