PDA

View Full Version : For Great Twinking, Move Zig!

Amujala
2007-05-23, 01:58 AM
I was interested to know if anybody had any really cool ideas for characters or strategies that they wouldn't mind me ripping o- I mean reading over and sharing with friends...:wink:

In the interest of Quid Pro Quo,

You may have already heard of it but anyway, Ray of Enfeeblement + Web or Entangle = Not going anywhere for a while. Cast Create Snickers Bar.

Or a concept I thought could be pretty cool.

-Two Weapon Fighting + Improved Shield Bash + Weapon Focus/Specialization (Shield Bash) + Shield Specialization (Large Shield) + 2-Weapon Defense + Dodge + Expertise.

I don't know if there is a rule against using 2 shields but if there isn't you can make your fighter's AC stupid with this combo.

Lets say with a 16 Dex score for example using full expertise and Breastplate.
+7 Armor, +6 Shield, +3 Dex, +2 Dodge, +5 Dodge(Expertise) = AC 34!
Granted you are at a -7 to all of your attacks but all you really have to do is sit there and wait for sweet 20 while your opponent hopelessly tries to hit you. My DM let me play this for one session...and never again.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-23, 02:02 AM
Shield bonuses don't stack.

They are named bonuses with the same name.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-05-23, 06:42 AM
I don't know if there is a rule against using 2 shields but if there isn't you can make your fighter's AC stupid with this combo.

I seem to remember a ~70AC Duelist build somewhere...

Amujala
2007-05-23, 12:25 PM
Damn. So you mean if I wear 7 layers of Leather armor, the bonuses don't stack?

I kind of figured the shield trick wouldn't work.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-23, 12:33 PM
Asking for "character strategies" is a bit broad to get answers. There are many many very powerful builds out there, but you need to say what you're trying to achieve really.

Quietus
2007-05-23, 12:34 PM
Damn. So you mean if I wear 7 layers of Leather armor, the bonuses don't stack?

I kind of figured the shield trick wouldn't work.

Yeah, unfortunately; I tried to run this past my DM before and he gave the same answer. You know, 'cause I'm not burning a ridiculous number of feats to do it or anything...

I still want to make a Gnome fighter with dual sheilds though.

Amujala
2007-05-23, 01:28 PM
In response to what Ikkitosen said:

I was more curious to know if anyone had a build they were particularly proud of (such as a dual-shield wielding gnome). The sharing of thoughts, ideas and experiences between fellow gamers is what helps us develop and learn. If I can learn anything at all from reading a character build, spell combo or memorable story scenario then this thread as accomplished what it set out to do.

So, What does everyone think of this:

I once ran a Modern D20 campaign. It was called Resident Evil: Edmonton. My group and I are originally from Edmonton Alberta and we figured it would be cool to do a modern campaign post-apocalyptic style right out of our own hometown. The best part was we used ourselves as models for the characters right down to the ability scores and skills. Effectively we started out as a bunch of 0-level teenagers with ability scores varying between 8 and 12, no weapon or armor proficiency and skills directly linked to our personal interests. It was totally pathetic.

So here we are, in the city, a bunch of worthless teenagers when suddenly, zombies! Grab that fake sword you bought or the axe you had kicking around in your basement. We all banded together to try and fend off the undead hordes, hiding out at the local high school or drugstore waiting for rescue all the while becoming more efficient and more adept. In time we would become far greater than our former teenage selves gaining prowess in whatever area suited us.

The great part about that campaign (the reason everyone thought it was so much fun) was the active leveling system I put together. All of the characters leveled up and gained skills based on the actions they performed throughout the session. I removed ALL of the prerequisites for feats and classes and rather gave such things as rewards for exemplary action in-game. People who tried to sneak, got better at it. People who spent a lot of time in melee, got better at it. My PC's found the system more enjoyable than the norm because they spent less time leveling up and being concerned about what their next feat would be and just concentrated on playing. It's neat to see how players act when they really get into their character and stop worrying about the metagame.

Ultimately, word got out about my campaign and after 3 sessions our numbers grew to 9 players who never missed a session. Even after a year we never had less than 7 PC's. And I have never in my life seen more teamwork and cooperation than I did in that campaign. It was gaming at it's finest.

Matthew
2007-05-31, 08:56 PM
It sounds like fun, but I am a bit confused as to how that interacts with the original question?