PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wyvaran Wizard Metamagic Question

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-16, 02:26 AM
I am looking at the favored class bonus for wizard under Wyvaran. It says
Wizard: The wizard can reduce the number of level increase required to use a metamagic feat by 1/4 (to a minimum of +0). You must select this ability 4 times to reduce the level increase required by 1.

So....what would happen if I was to use this on say, heighten spell? Could it be used that way?

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-16, 06:29 AM
Well, you can't apply a metamagic twice, so basically you are adding one to all your save DC's. This isn't a horridly overpowered thing to do.

This looks like a 3rd party rule though, so ask your DM.

Psyren
2015-10-16, 08:34 AM
This looks like a 3rd party rule though, so ask your DM.

Correct, this FCB is from a 3rd-party book. (http://shop.d20pfsrd.com/collections/jon-brazer-enterprises/products/book-of-heroic-races-advanced-favored-class-options-pfrpg) OP, you'd have to ask them if it's meant to work with Heighten, and how.

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-16, 01:03 PM
Correct, this FCB is from a 3rd-party book. (http://shop.d20pfsrd.com/collections/jon-brazer-enterprises/products/book-of-heroic-races-advanced-favored-class-options-pfrpg) OP, you'd have to ask them if it's meant to work with Heighten, and how.

The race was approved, so it seems if there is no real ruling on it I will just have to ask it seems. It was just a passing thought tho. I am however looking at reach spell. For 3 levels worth of reduction I can cast any spell with a range of touch, close or med as long, and then have enough left over to enlarge for free as well. 800+80ft/lv touch spells and close spells matters a whole lot. Just need the dex or spell bonus to hit with them and I will have the ultimate god wizard never ever being in range and always able to support.

Also looking at free swift spells too.

So lets ask this then, with 5 free levels of metamagic, what would you do with it? I can see quite a few combos, but I have not thought too deeply about it.

Also @Fouredged Sword save DC's matter a lot if you are focused. If you take spell focus feats, + high ability score, and assuming this class feature could be used on said metamagic, you would have a save DC of 10+INT+14+2(spell focus feats) so that is 26+INT mod, prolly gonna be 10+ by level 20 so a save of 36 to whatever school of magic you want to abuse. In pathfinder, being immune to mind effecting is a bit more rare then 3.5, so Illusion and Enchantment are both good choices. You almost would never have an issue ever you could not solve with very simple spells. Also there are other spells of note. Dark spells are countered by light spells of the same level or higher. By its wording, A darkness spell cast with heighten spell would not be its original level, but its new level, meaning it would be a lv 14 darkness spell. There are other spells like this I am sure too.

Psyren
2015-10-16, 01:11 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear - the race itself is 1st-party (ARG 238), only this FCB for it is third-party.

As for what you could do with 4 free levels of metamagic - well the clear answer is "a lot," which is why this FCB isn't particularly well-balanced. At best it should be for a single spell (possibly changeable to another spell as you gain levels), and even then I would not be in favor of allowing it.

legomaster00156
2015-10-16, 01:14 PM
As for what you could do with 4 free levels of metamagic - well the clear answer is "a lot," which is why this FCB isn't particularly well-balanced. At best it should be for a single spell (possibly changeable to another spell as you gain levels), and even then I would not be in favor of allowing it.
Free Quicken Spell by level 16, just in time to use on L9 spells at level 17.

Psyren
2015-10-16, 01:18 PM
Free Quicken Spell by level 16, just in time to use on L9 spells at level 17.

And that's before traits (e.g. Metamagic Master.) So you could get your Quickened Wish on even earlier.

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-16, 03:39 PM
And that's before traits (e.g. Metamagic Master.) So you could get your Quickened Wish on even earlier.

Free quicken is indeed a top contender. That is 2 spells a round, or full round spells cast on your turn. That can come with really nasty combos such as true strike + any touch/ranged touch spell, but that is mostly used for debuffing or death. It is a sure fire way to blow through all your spells in a hurry tho, but of course by the time you get this you have no real shortage there.

Dazing Spell + Concussive Spell would allow you to quite literately shut down an entire army for quite a while.

I am looking at Elemental Spell. It looks like a reworded addmixture from 3.5.
Elemental Spell (Metamagic)

You can manipulate the elemental nature of your spells.

Benefit: Choose one energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may replace a spell’s normal damage with that energy type or split the spell’s damage, so that half is of that energy type and half is of its normal type.

Level Increase: +1 (an elemental spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.)

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you must choose a different energy type.

Looking at the wording, if I was to take this metamagic 4 times, would it stack on the same spell? Its not looking like it since it says it replaces the damage and not adds it, however the "or" gives another choice. Since you cant have "half" 4 times, maybe this use of it would make it 50%base +50% each element - thus, giving it a rather large damage boost? Its pushing the wording a bit, but it may work.

also trying to think of uses for Lingering Spell. There has to be some nasty spells to mix that with.