PDA

View Full Version : Extra damages take effect one at the time or at once?

stenver
2015-10-16, 03:02 AM
Lets say we have barbarian with 5 HP left.

Lets say we have a spider who bites for 5 damage and then does 4 poison damage.

Does the character instantly take 5 piercing damage and then 4 poison damage? This means that with piercing damage the character falls and with poison damage it gets the first failed death saving throw?

Or is it separate and the character just falls, counting that he was knocked down to 0?

Doof
2015-10-16, 03:11 AM
It should all be applied the moment it hits. The spider did 9 points of damage, out of which 4 points was poison (and may be subject to resistance), but otherwise it reduces you to 0 hp, fails to kill you by massive damage, and fall unconscious.

Edit: the poor chap might be poisoned for an hour though :P

Person_Man
2015-10-16, 08:14 AM
The Devs have clarified that Poison is a secondary effect/instance/roll of damage that is triggered by a failed Saving Throw. This means that it is not multiplied on a critical hit, Resistance would apply separately to each instance of damage, and Uncanny Dodge could only be used against one of the damage rolls.

Human Paragon 3
2015-10-16, 09:05 AM
The Devs have clarified that Poison is a secondary effect/instance/roll of damage that is triggered by a failed Saving Throw. This means that it is not multiplied on a critical hit, Resistance would apply separately to each instance of damage, and Uncanny Dodge could only be used against one of the damage rolls.

But it still happens at the same time, right? He wouldn't fail a death throw because there were two types of damage on the hit, would he?

CNagy
2015-10-16, 10:17 AM

But they've left murky those poisons that simply deal poison damage with no saving throw.

Kryx
2015-10-16, 10:43 AM
But they've left murky those poisons that simply deal poison damage with no saving throw.
It's not murky. In that case it doubles on a crit.

eastmabl
2015-10-16, 11:03 AM
But it still happens at the same time, right? He wouldn't fail a death throw because there were two types of damage on the hit, would he?

It would seem reasonable that, because it was a single attack that (1) was adjudicated all at once and that (2) the damage was suffered all at once, the hypothetical barbarian wouldn't fail a death saving throw. A subsequent attack or failure of a saving throw against ongoing damage would constitute a failure.

Edit: upon further review, poison probably doesn't have ongoing damage in 5e, and I'm just getting 13th Age in my 5e.

kaoskonfety
2015-10-16, 11:19 AM
Single attack resolution = One pile of damage, regardless of the number of damage types involved.

If the posion or similar "damage over time" effect does damage AGAIN (acid arrow still does this yes?), later, that would cause a failed death save.

When in doubt, be kind to your downed PC's, they are already having a bad day.

I might, for instance, rule to break them up into seperate damage if that causes a failed death saves and near certain death, and not an instant death with massive damage. (say max HP of 12 at 1 current HP, takes 15: 10 slashing 5 poison - be kind, break them up, you are down and failed a death save, 2 to go...)

Mellack
2015-10-16, 12:04 PM
So how would damage resistance interact? For example, a paladin does a smite with their attack. Does DR only take once off the whole amount or twice, once for the weapon and again for the radiant?

Kryx
2015-10-16, 12:23 PM
So how would damage resistance interact? For example, a paladin does a smite with their attack. Does DR only take once off the whole amount or twice, once for the weapon and again for the radiant?

Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one paladin spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage.
Smite is part of the damage and would add to the weapon damage before being reduced.
Smite doesn't have a save. That's the difference.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-10-16, 12:26 PM

Well, as far as I know the only damage reducing effect is from the Heavy Armor Master feat. A quick word-search of the monster manual turned up nothing. Maybe I missed a spell?

Said feat states: "...bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take from non-magical weapons is reduced by 3." so it seems it would only apply once per weapon hit, since I can't think of a non-magical weapon which simultaneously does bludgeoning, piercing, and/or slashing damage.

Kryx
2015-10-16, 12:46 PM
He's referring to resistance.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-10-16, 12:54 PM
He's referring to resistance.

Ah, my mistake. Well that's less more of a rounding concern than any noticeable difference. Two halves added together and a total that's then halved add up to the same thing.

stenver
2015-10-17, 08:00 AM
Alright thanks

So in summary:
If the extra damage gives saving throw, it applies separately
If it does not give saving throw, it applies immediately