View Full Version : Optimization Witcher D&D 5e Class

Baxter2072
2015-10-16, 03:22 AM
I have this witcher class that I downloaded of the Wizard of the Coast Forums. The Thread seemed dead So I want to ask you all is it balanced or not. I making a monster hunter character and I was originally going to use the homebrew witch hunter class that Critical Role DM Matthew Mercer is releasing soon. However I am intrigued at the prospect of using this class instead. The reason I even made this PC was because I was inspired to create a monster after playing Witcher 3.

Doof
2015-10-16, 03:44 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/39811h/made_geralt_from_the_witcher_no_homebrew_full/

any close?

Baxter2072
2015-10-16, 03:48 AM
Kinda I might just go with that Homebrew Witch hunter class honestly. The more I read the witcher class PDF the more complicated it gets. Do you know of any threads about things you can make with alchemy. With the character I am making I was going to have him be good at making alchemy potions and that is why I was drawn to this homebrew Witcher class but it might be a little too complicated for my tastes.

Baxter2072
2015-10-16, 04:28 AM
I actually found a really cool wither class that isn't that complicated

Baxter2072
2015-10-16, 04:32 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z7ZsrO9VLBZHI1c1o1LTc2cFU/view

I am only referring to the section on the witcher class

Baxter2072
2015-10-16, 05:10 AM
You know what I am starting to think the witcher them just doesn't fit well. I am not a hundred percent sure but our last campaign by this DM was in the forgotten realms. I honestly think he might allow the class ,but I am not sure it fits thematically with the Forgotten realms. I might be wrong however.

Kryx
2015-10-16, 06:23 AM
Matt Mercer from critical role made a "Witch Hunter". He had it on dropbox a just recently. He'll soon post it publicly.

It's really good and balanced imo. We'll see the final product.

Mara
2015-10-17, 03:36 AM
What are the important aspects of the witcher you wish to emulate?

I think a race component is important to make the alchemy work. Witcher potions aren't hard to make but they only work on witchers. Maybe +1 two stats -2 cha (lower emotions), toxin tolerance(witcher potions work), disease immunity, long life span, proficiency perception, minor magic: bonus cantrip.

A Background would also be important. I think survival, investigation, and alchemy skills are a must. We could leave out the last tool/language prof to buff the background feature to be, "you know how to make witcher potion, oils, and bombs".

Lastly you have to pick a witcher school which could be represented by class selection. I feel that EK works pretty good here. Bladeward, firebolt(igni), thunder clap, charm person/friends, The trap sign may require homebrew.

The need for dual sword depends on monster stats.

MrConsideration
2015-10-17, 06:05 AM
Maybe give the Witcher a Silver Sword at character creation, which ignores damage resistance on monstrosities and undead but otherwise does half damage. Swapping swords is a bonus action.

Submortimer
2015-10-17, 08:25 PM
I have this witcher class that I downloaded of the Wizard of the Coast Forums. The Thread seemed dead So I want to ask you all is it balanced or not. I making a monster hunter character and I was originally going to use the homebrew witch hunter class that Critical Role DM Matthew Mercer is releasing soon. However I am intrigued at the prospect of using this class instead. The reason I even made this PC was because I was inspired to create a monster after playing Witcher 3.

I built something for this express purpose, but it might be too strong for normal play. Check it out here: Witcher Class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420965-Witcher-Class-(WIP)&p=19388260#post19388260)