PDA

View Full Version : Class selection help

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-16, 03:46 AM
So the DM warned me that for plot reasons my character will go away probably in a 4-6 weeks. So I was rolling up my stats and came up with this beauty:
5, 11, 11, 12, 12, 18.
So I am looking at options: a caster would make sense here, but our party make up is:
Lesser svirfneblin rogue 7 with no ACFs. Just pure rogue. He focuses on range.
A warlock 3/wilder 4 into a homebrew PrC that theurges the two (he has taken no levels yet). He tends to fire rays during his turn.
A Binder 6/KotSS 1 of Eurynome that charges in heedlessly every combat and has a tendency to win initiative.
A favored soul 7 with no ACFs. She just joined so I know little of her yet but she stated she pretty much wants to do nothing but healing.

Right now I am a master of many forms and do a lot of the melee work, so we will have a definite hole when I go. However, I don't want to use Dragonfire Adept much (I have often in the past) and am not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-16, 04:41 AM
Maybe a Crusader? 18 Str, heavy armor and a +Con race and you should be fine in melee.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-16, 04:51 AM
Maybe a Crusader? 18 Str, heavy armor and a +Con race and you should be fine in melee.

I was also considering using necropolitan to eat that 5.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-10-16, 05:13 AM
I was also considering using necropolitan to eat that 5.
Or you could make a literal idiot crusader but also yes that's a really good idea.

Nifft
2015-10-16, 10:38 AM
Since you're currently a Master of Many Forms, does that mean Druid is not a valid choice for your next character? It would certainly be one way to make your physical stats irrelevant, and also to handle melee plus utility casting.

Necropolitan Anima Mage might be a neat choice. Perhaps Binder 1 / Wizard 3 / Anima Mage 3, and be a very different type of Binder from the KotSS melee character. How does Alter Self interact with being a Necropolitan? Can you get good physical stats that way?

How about being a summoner instead of a direct melee fighter? Gnome Cloistered Cleric (Trickery, Illusion, Knowledge) 5 / Malconvoker 2, maybe. Put the 5 in Strength, so you have literally 3 Strength, and make your Cohort carry you around.

prufock
2015-10-16, 04:42 PM
Seems like you have archer, archer, melee, healer so far. Why not go with wizard or sorcerer and focus on debuffs?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-16, 05:08 PM
I'll second Druid.
The animal companion with a buff or two is enough melee presence for most situations, you can spontaneously summon even more melee and Wild Shape means you can fly above the battlefield raining down control spells and destruction without worrying about most of your stats.

You could also melee, but personally it's not something i'd do with 12 Con. It's also not necessary unless you want to.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-16, 05:36 PM
With one good stat Druid is my usual go-to answer. Alternatively, if your party needs damage dealt, then maybe a Human Wizard with Knowledge Devotion and the 6 creature-related Knowledges maximized, plus Collector of Stories skill trick. (Human lets you also put points into Spellcraft.) Use Fiery Burst reserve feat and you'll be able to blast adjacent enemies without using up any prepared spells. Add Searing Spell and you're good even against foes immune to fire. Scorching Ray requires a ranged touch attack, and the bonus to hit from Knowledge Devotion will improve your hit percentage. As a significant bonus, at the same time you're determining your Knowledge Devotion bonuses you're determining how much information you get about your foes: it's all in the relevant Knowledge skill check. So you can clue your party members into any particular enemy strengths or weaknesses.

Thurbane
2015-10-16, 08:07 PM
If Necropolitan is on the table, maybe Necropolitan Gray Elf Wizard?

Str 10 Dex 14 Con -- Int 20 Wis 11 Cha 11

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-17, 08:31 AM
If Necropolitan is on the table, maybe Necropolitan Gray Elf Wizard?

Str 10 Dex 14 Con -- Int 20 Wis 11 Cha 11

This is the most tempting, although I am not sure how I would keep a party that fragile alive. Druid is always solid but if I cannot keep my old character a bigger change in pace may be nice.