PDA

View Full Version : I'm joining a new group.

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-23, 05:15 AM
So far, the group consists of a Fighter who's going to be using the UA retraining rules along with story events to become a Knight, a Rogue, and a Druid. I'm here, trolling for suggestions as to what the party still needs, so I can figure out what class to pick. If you have a specific class recommendation, please name the book it's in; I don't have them all memorized off the top of my head.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Corncracker
2007-05-23, 05:28 AM
A Cleric and be good for buffing up and healing.

As a fourth member, Bards are always helpful.

Seems fairly solid Melee wise with a Druid, Fighter, and Rouge. Both Cleric and Bard can assist with Melee a bit as well. Bard can do those songs to buff everyone and has some decent magic.

Cleric can keep the healing up and continue to help with the Melee along with the Druid.

Some Arcane offense can always help out here as well, since you seem lacking in ARcane prowess. So either a Wizard or Sorcerer. I'd suggest a Wizard, and get a bunch of Necromancy crap. Libris Mortis is fun for Necromancers. May not be one of the optimum character builds, however focusing on undead is fun. And moves like Ray of Enfeeblement are always helpful for backing up the front liners.

B!shop
2007-05-23, 05:38 AM
Yeah, it seems you definitely miss an healer-type.
Clerics, a Paladin maybe if you like to be in the middle of a fight.

Arcane caster missing too, but I value more the healing prowess over the arcane might if I must choose.

Corncracker
2007-05-23, 05:40 AM

Arcane caster missing too, but I value more the healing prowess over the arcane might if I must choose.

Druid generally can do the healing pretty well. Though yes, a Cleric, Paladin, or Bard can help with the healing. Not so much the bard, but I like Bards.

Hallavast
2007-05-23, 05:46 AM

I thought a Druid was a "healer-type".

I would suggest an arcane caster. Beguiler, wizard, sorcerer, and bard come to mind (beguiler is in the PHB2). Someone with buffs, debuffs, and utility can do a lot to add some "zing" to the group (that and it completes the typical 4 man group of tank, heal-bot, skill monkey, and batman).

B!shop
2007-05-23, 05:46 AM
Ups... totally missed the druid presence in party :smallbiggrin:

I love bards too, so go for bard :smalltongue:

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-23, 05:50 AM
Well, there are a few Bard PrCs I wanted to try out. Plus, it has the added bonus of not being a preparation caster. </3 prepared casters.

Any more opinions of stuff that may be fun?

Last_resort_33
2007-05-23, 06:04 AM
Well you don't have an arcane caster. They are quite useful.

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-23, 06:16 AM
The bard is an arcane caster. EDIT: Reading too much into what you said. Gah.

You know, I had an idea a while back that I thought was cool. There was a Magic: the Gathering setting called Mirrodin. Everything had metal in it there. Nothing was purely organic. Even people had metallic bits, poking out through the flesh in places. And one of the cards from Mirrodin Block (Steelshaper's Gift) or something like that featured shaping steel, which could be molded as if it was clay, and tended to replicate the appearance of any artifacts near it. And I thought, "why not combine the two?" Have a character that could reshape his own internal metal.

Melee combat? He could turn his arm into a sword. Ranged? Throw instant darts. Needing to defend? Grow your own shield. Can't jump over that chasm? See if you can make a wingspan long enough to glide. And so on.

While I'm fairly certain DnD has nothing that could outright replicate this, does anyone know of a class that could imitate something similar mechanically, so I can rework the flavor?

purple_smurf
2007-05-23, 06:24 AM
Be a Warforged if you want something like that (ECS) the Artificer class in that book is good too. You might need to wait a while before you can make all that stuff, but if you or your DM are willing to make more warforged components it could work.
Hope that helped,
purple_smurf

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-23, 06:28 AM
Not quite what I'm looking for. That's more "permanent installation", while what I'm looking for is spur-of-the-moment, "hey look I have wings, wait, not any more, don't need them right now" stuff.

Though I suppose it could work with some adaptation...

Telonius
2007-05-23, 10:51 AM
... Warforged Druid, maybe? :smallconfused: I don't think there's any restriction on their Wild Shape, is there?

B!shop
2007-05-23, 11:01 AM
Melee combat? He could turn his arm into a sword. Ranged? Throw instant darts. Needing to defend? Grow your own shield. Can't jump over that chasm? See if you can make a wingspan long enough to glide. And so on.

If I remember well, 2nd Ed. AD&D Psionics have "Psychometabolism" (or something similar) that give them the power to shape parts of their body.
That could fit in what you look for, if there's still something similar in 3.x

Tellah
2007-05-23, 11:23 AM
The bard is an arcane caster. EDIT: Reading too much into what you said. Gah.

You know, I had an idea a while back that I thought was cool. There was a Magic: the Gathering setting called Mirrodin. Everything had metal in it there. Nothing was purely organic. Even people had metallic bits, poking out through the flesh in places. And one of the cards from Mirrodin Block (Steelshaper's Gift) or something like that featured shaping steel, which could be molded as if it was clay, and tended to replicate the appearance of any artifacts near it. And I thought, "why not combine the two?" Have a character that could reshape his own internal metal.

While I'm fairly certain DnD has nothing that could outright replicate this, does anyone know of a class that could imitate something similar mechanically, so I can rework the flavor?

I'm thinking Warforged Psychic Warrior focusing on natural weapons. MoI's totemist could work really well for this, too. You could also do a Druid with the shapeshifting variant from PHBII and use that as a route to the Warshaper PrC from Complete Warrior.

hewhosaysfish
2007-05-23, 11:28 AM

War-shaper? From Complete Warrior. Pre-reqs basically boil down to being able to shape-shift in some way (oh, and a BAB requirement). Class features only work when your not in your natural form.
Lets you grow natural attacks like claws, tentacles, horns... or replace an existing attack with a bigger one. Fast healing. Immunity to criticals because you can more your vital organs around your body.
Not sure what would be sued to qualify for it... Warforged Urban-variant Druid maybe? Does anyone know if the half-golem template has an LA because half-iron-golem could be good.

EDIT: Curses, ninja'd!

Shatenjager
2007-05-23, 02:05 PM
Sounds like either a warforged or a stonechild with either druid levels or just alter self.

BardicDuelist
2007-05-23, 02:16 PM
Well, I don't know how to incorporate the metal into it, but a fey'ri (RoF) or any race with alter self (though changeling might work) and the warshaper prestige class (CW).

Changeling was in Eberron.

Playing a wizard or sorcerer would work too with polymorph and alter self.

lumberofdabeast
2007-05-24, 02:50 AM
As long as I can get the crunch right, fluff doesn't matter. Metal doesn't actually have to be involved.