PDA

View Full Version : The two surviving soldiers

Atheist_Cleric
2007-05-23, 05:43 AM
In 455, it appears that only two regular soldiers, one male and one female, escape along with Hinjo and the OOTS. Seeing as though both had sort of one-panel moments that made note of their existence (the guy grabbing Hinjo and the Girl telling Durkon to hold the door oprn for her), I have a feeling there's something in store for these two. Thoughts, anyone?

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-23, 05:51 AM
They'll be killed in some dramatic way or other.

THE END

The Black Prince
2007-05-23, 05:52 AM
It seems quite possible, maybe they are the only survivors of the battle. Maybe they will join the OoTS. Or more likely The Giant will just forget about them. Bad Giant!

Green Bean
2007-05-23, 05:57 AM
Hinjo will make them honorary paladins. Then, they'll get married and have fifty kids. :smallbiggrin:

happyturtle
2007-05-23, 06:28 AM
They will turn out to be hobgoblin ninjas in disguise.

LordVader
2007-05-23, 06:29 AM
Or just normal ninjas. I predict they become meat shields wizard protectors.

Wych
2007-05-23, 06:35 AM
They are actually brother and sister, John and Jane Redshirt.

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-23, 06:49 AM
Come to think of it what happened to the green haired soldier from 417....

HAIR DYE!!

Gavin Sage
2007-05-23, 08:29 AM
They are actually brother and sister, John and Jane Redshirt.

Which is bad because then they'll have to die to prove the situation is serious. How much more serious can it get!

Though on a side note there should be other soldiers about they just don't happen to be with Hinjo at the moment.

Ronald_saveloy
2007-05-23, 08:49 AM
They seem to be the typical redshirts to me. Though, didn't the goblins have a redshirt too? :amused: My bad, that guy is wearing a red cloak. :redcloak:

Grendita
2007-05-23, 09:01 AM
They are the Two soldiers that are going to repopulate Azure City once the Hobgoblins have left.

lord_khaine
2007-05-23, 09:09 AM
maybe they are going to survive, because the giant wants to make fun of the red-shirt thing?

Finn Solomon
2007-05-23, 10:14 AM
Let 'em get married, I'm a sucker for sentimentality.

chibibar
2007-05-23, 10:49 AM
I got two words...

Red Shirt.

archon_huskie
2007-05-23, 11:27 AM
Roy is Dead.
V is out of spell and invisible.

The two soldiers are Roy's player and V's player playing nameless NPCs. This is so they do not get bored while waiting for the other players to finish the battle.

Roy plays the male solider and V plays the female solider. (Beause V is a female.)

warmachine
2007-05-23, 11:38 AM
As the extras have been briefly noticed, they are no longer background, cannon fodder. More most be known about them before they reach the status of supporting characters and their deaths can have any meaning. They are simply plot devices, main character setting or environment setting. In the first case, merely to show a leader who's thinking heavily about a losing situation. In the second, merely to remind that the PCs and the Sapphire Guard aren't the only good guys.

Friv
2007-05-23, 11:47 AM
I think they're incredibly lucky. ;)

In all seriousness, they may or may not survive to the end of this, but they probably aren't amazingly important. Just a reminder that there are other folks around getting battered too.

PsyBlade
2007-05-23, 12:01 PM
I agree with whoever said that they're being played by Roy and V's players. So they might just make it.

the_tick_rules
2007-05-23, 12:44 PM
probably end up dying eventually, or just fade away.

moleytov
2007-05-23, 12:48 PM
Roy is Dead.

The two soldiers are Roy's player and V's player playing nameless NPCs. This is so they do not get bored while waiting for the other players to finish the battle.

Roy plays the male solider and V plays the female solider. (Beause V is a female.)

Nuh-uh.
:elan: Roy has boobs.
V is a guy.

Rincewind
2007-05-23, 01:04 PM
Roy is Dead.

This is the kind of comment that keeps D&d soul alive! :wink:

You win an internet stick sir; here it is: O======+++=======O

Ellisar
2007-05-23, 02:06 PM
Come on, those two would be so cute together! After att he horrible buchering of random soldiers we have seen, it would be a real novelty if something non-horrible or perhaps even nice happened to these two brave souls.

But nah.

I bet they will die in some spectacular way.

Rhyeira
2007-05-23, 02:07 PM
Yep... you made my day, too.

And besides, it *does* sound quite convincing.

Accountant
2007-05-23, 03:30 PM
Roy is Dead.

I would have to agree with this.

Even still though, they probably don't do anything especially noteworthy, but have to play some kinda role, since the giant bothered to point them out.

Maybe they'll turn out to actually be above 5th level, or something.

Shatteredtower
2007-05-23, 04:39 PM
Nah, nah. Archon_Huskie has a nice idea, but I'm afraid it doesn't work.

See... the one that grabbed Hinjo is obviously the Snarl. That's why we haven't seen Xykon or the others in so long.

Meanwhile, the second one, the one that called out, "Wait for me!" is obviously the MitD. Obviously, she dropped her umbrella in her haste to catch up with Redcloak. The proof is in the fact that she doesn't have a mount!

David Argall
2007-05-23, 04:50 PM
They could have any of a variety of purposes, including simply taking space when the artist found himself with some white to fill.

The most likely case is they provide flexibility. The most common story is that this strip is not deeply planned out, which means having a couple of NPCs around to take any role not suited for a PC is a good idea. Unfortunately, a lot of such roles involve fatalities, so I wouldn't go around trying to sell them life insurance. However, there are other possibilities.

nimby
2007-05-23, 05:15 PM
We'll get a backstory comic about them.

It'll turn out he used to pick on her in elementary school, got a crush on her in high school, they shortly dated, but she crushed his heart by cheating on him with his cousin (who is now hob food) as revenge for her childhood trauma. They'll continuously try to get each other killed during their short period travelling with the OotS, succeeding during the pivotal battle between the hobs and OotS.

Or maybe they're just won't get mentioned again :tongue:

Duke Malagigi
2007-05-23, 05:23 PM
I'd like to see them survive the battle, get married, receive full military honors, have plenty of children (maybe upwards of 14), live to an advanced age, probably in the 70's, then buried next to each other after they die of old age. That would be nice.

Elliot Kane
2007-05-23, 05:24 PM
I think they serve two purposes:

* They show there are other survivors beside the OOTS

* The provide great cannon fodder for later on.

I can't see them making it out of the battle alive.

Sir_Banjo
2007-05-23, 07:25 PM
They'll be killed in some dramatic way or other.

THE END

Nah, their shirts are not red;)

They'll get a bunch of xp from hanging around the PCs and become the army's new generals.

EvilElitest
2007-05-23, 07:28 PM
Dude, am i hte only one who regonizes them?

The girl is the archer who Haley gave her moral speech to before talking with O-Chul
The boy is the one who tossed V the scroll.

Their point, i think they need to fill the gap as extra characters who we know only a little bit about
from,
EE

Dolash
2007-05-23, 07:34 PM
Just to clarify, the gentleman above is merely pointing out that because the soldiers are all 'cookie cutter' there's no way to tell who's who and for all we know the same NPC soldier might have shown up in every scene where an NPC soldier was present and he keeps moving around. It's odds on that by the next comic we wouldn't even be able to tell which ones are them once Hinjo and the rest of the Order get moving and meet more soldiers.

archon_huskie
2007-05-23, 08:51 PM
Nuh-uh.
:elan: Roy has boobs.
V is a guy.

Of course! Why didn't I see it.

I am now naming the unnamed female solider. I will use the feminie verison of Roy.

Let's see, I also need to follow naming patterns for girls in Azure City.
How about Roijo (ROY-jo) . Yes, that is.

EvilElitest
2007-05-24, 04:57 PM
Just to clarify, the gentleman above is merely pointing out that because the soldiers are all 'cookie cutter' there's no way to tell who's who and for all we know the same NPC soldier might have shown up in every scene where an NPC soldier was present and he keeps moving around. It's odds on that by the next comic we wouldn't even be able to tell which ones are them once Hinjo and the rest of the Order get moving and meet more soldiers.

However, bear this in mind

The giant went out of his way to show us these two

The Giant went out of the way to show that female soilder interact with OOTS

The giant went out of his wen to show the male soilder interact with V

The Giant has not shown anyone other random soilder who did anything important, so it is safe to assume these guys are the ones
from,
EE

Deckmaster
2007-05-24, 05:13 PM
Maybe these guys are important because they have low-level PC classes, most likely Fighter, and aren't your typical Warriors.

I could be completely wrong, though.

Rasumichin
2007-05-24, 05:39 PM

Roy's player plays Hinjo.
V's player plays both soldiers simultaneously, having no elf available but still being unable to make a decision about PC gender.

EvilElitest
2007-05-24, 05:59 PM
Roy's player plays Hinjo.
V's player plays both soldiers simultaneously, having no elf available but still being unable to make a decision about PC gender.

I like my idea better :smalltongue:
from,
EE

The Wanderer
2007-05-24, 10:47 PM
I got two words...

Red Shirt.

They say great minds think alike. Apparently so do Chibibar's and mine. :smallwink:

The girl is the archer who Haley gave her moral speech to before talking with O-Chul

Their point, i think they need to fill the gap as extra characters who we know only a little bit about

I can't say about the girl, But I'm pretty certain that the guy who tossed V the scroll is dead. First off, he was pretty far down the wall, so it would be strange for him to just be there with Hinjo suddenly. Secondly, he would have been at the breach from when it was first created, so he probably would have been caught in the wake of the Death Knight's fireball. (If he wasn't one of V's giant soldiers). Then if he somehow lived past that, he would have had to live past the fighting when the hobgoblins and ghasts managed to get through the breach, then either desert his post, (yet suddenly change his wind and return to combat right with the commander in chief of the army), or he was one of the soldiers trying to hold the breach... and we know what happened to those guys.

So, all in all, that's pretty unlikely.

oball
2007-05-25, 01:22 AM
The women that Haley was talking to in #417 were all archers. This woman has a sword and shield.

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-25, 06:23 AM
The women that Haley was talking to in #417 were all archers. This woman has a sword and shield.

Plus she had green hair.

MaxKaladin
2007-05-25, 09:41 AM
I can't say about the girl, But I'm pretty certain that the guy who tossed V the scroll is dead. First off, he was pretty far down the wall, so it would be strange for him to just be there with Hinjo suddenly. Yes, it would. :elan: DUN Dun dun!

Secondly, he would have been at the breach from when it was first created, so he probably would have been caught in the wake of the Death Knight's fireball. (If he wasn't one of V's giant soldiers). Then if he somehow lived past that, he would have had to live past the fighting when the hobgoblins and ghasts managed to get through the breach, then either desert his post, (yet suddenly change his wind and return to combat right with the commander in chief of the army), or he was one of the soldiers trying to hold the breach... and we know what happened to those guys.I like to think he was the guy who rallied the troops to make that last stand. I also think he was the guy we see still alive with his eyes open when getting trampled with in the last panel of that strip. Of course, I have absolutely no proof...

Setra
2007-05-25, 12:09 PM
I hope they don't die.. I've grown attached to one of them.

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-25, 12:35 PM
I hope they don't die.. I've grown attached to one of them.

But they've only appeared in one strip...I expect an "I've grown attached quickly" response promptly

MReav
2007-05-25, 01:14 PM
But they've only appeared in one strip...I expect an "I've grown attached quickly" response promptly

Hey, ninja waitress had her own fanclub back when the fanclub silliness was at its height.

Setra
2007-05-25, 04:17 PM
Actually, yes. I tend to grow attached quickly, doesn't mean I like the person.

I just get less attached as time goes on.

Gavin Sage
2007-05-25, 05:10 PM
Dude, am i hte only one who regonizes them?

from,
EE

No they have stock appearences. You can see a bunch of them all across the comics. Unless the girl is hauling around and using a halberd, spear, bow, and sword and shield and has some high move rate.

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-25, 08:43 PM
No they have stock appearences. You can see a bunch of them all across the comics. Unless the girl is hauling around and using a halberd, spear, bow, and sword and shield and has some high move rate.

Well you never know, maybe AC has all its troops supplied with bags of holding and drills them in travelling around the city?

Bugbear_
2007-05-25, 09:45 PM
What in the Nine Hells is a red shirt?

MReav
2007-05-25, 09:52 PM
What in the Nine Hells is a red shirt?

It's a term used to refer to expendable extras on the original Star Trek, where the guy that died almost always wore a red shirt.

the mysterian
2007-05-25, 09:54 PM
they will set off a booby trap or get killed in some ironic way

inky13112
2007-05-25, 09:59 PM
Hmm. To those saying you've grown attached and that the Giant went out of his way to show them, that really means nothing. Look at Samantha and her dad. they had a whole story arc, and people grew quite attached to them (them=the dad and only the dad) yet the Giant killed them in cold blood. (if you go back to the forums around then, you wouldn't believe the number of people complaining they were killed off) Being shown, and being noticeable enough to be liked by the audience does not equate a shield or an important role.

Dolash
2007-05-26, 01:25 AM
Hmm. To those saying you've grown attached and that the Giant went out of his way to show them, that really means nothing. Look at Samantha and her dad. they had a whole story arc, and people grew quite attached to them (them=the dad and only the dad) yet the Giant killed them in cold blood. (if you go back to the forums around then, you wouldn't believe the number of people complaining they were killed off) Being shown, and being noticeable enough to be liked by the audience does not equate a shield or an important role.

True dat. The giant killed off ROY for goodness' sake. All bets are off at this point.

Seriously, though. Someone brought up the two dudes who helped V with the scrolls - why are these two any more likely to survive or be seen again as those two?

Gri
2007-05-26, 01:42 AM
They are gonna activate the catapult that will launch the order into the castle

Wizzardman
2007-05-26, 02:15 AM
Well, I have two ideas. Either they'll be important in some way during the story [at the very least to provide an Azure City-ite element to the story, or the other ideas that people have suggested]...

...or they're living proof that Hinjo has the Leadership feat. They're some of his lower-level followers--possibly ones he acquired mid-battle, since all of his other ones are already dead.

Erk
2007-05-26, 02:25 AM
I like the idea of them being random survivors thrown in for Roy and V to play while their characters are out of commission, although I suspect we shall be seeing V again before the day is done.

As for them being Hinjo's Leadership Feat results, that is equally appealing. They could be both... were I DMing I might allow two bored players to take up the leadership-granted NPCs provided they continued to play them in-character.

What are we doing here? It's like the opposite of metagaming. Heh. Rather than saying X is placed because of Y game-design reason, therefore Z... we are seeing Z, so the reason could be Y game-design reason, which means what is placed is X. Heh. I like it.

Nasrudith
2007-05-26, 02:30 AM
If the soldiers do end up getting married will their first child end up shunning their fighter ways and becoming an unusually high strength wizard? :smallsmile:

pjackson
2007-05-26, 02:44 AM
In the first case, merely to show a leader who's thinking heavily about a losing situation.

I think it is also a hint about Hinjo's immunity to fear.

BisectedBrioche
2007-05-26, 05:51 AM
It's a term used to refer to expendable extras on the original Star Trek, where the guy that died almost always wore a red shirt.

It is also a garment which (loosely or tightly) covers the entirety of the torso and often the abdomen as well as some or all of the arms of the wearer, which has been dyed in such a way that it mostly reflects radiation of a wavelength of 625–750 nm causing the human eye to perceive it as the colour described in English as "red".

dutch508
2007-05-26, 08:03 AM
Just another Red Shirt on an Away Mission.