PDA

View Full Version : Racial Bonus to charisma

Malik
2007-05-23, 06:53 AM
I am just starting up a new campaign with some of my mates and he wants to play a bard, now that isnt a problem the problem is he wants a race that has a racial bonus to charisma but without a level adjustment.

The only one i can find is the spellscale out of races of the dragon, are there any others out there, he would rather play an elf variant but i cannot find one with a charisma bonus.

If you know of one please let me know.

squishycube
2007-05-23, 07:06 AM
Obviously there's the who's-your-daddy elf with +2 int and +2 cha for a -2 str and -2 con.
Joking aside, there are non in core as far as I know. The Aasimar is still a very good option though.

Malik
2007-05-23, 07:14 AM
Yeah i thought the Aasimar were pretty good option too except for the level adjustment, what would you suggest for slightly modifying the Aasimar so it doesnt have the level adjustment?

Edit: Was thinking of maybe a half aasimar, i dont know if there is one in core but i was thinking drop the wis bonus keep the cha, change darkvision to low light, no resistances, keep +2 to spot and listen. Any good?

Talya
2007-05-23, 07:25 AM
Sub-race of LA+0 elves out of forgotten realms (Unapproachable East) is the "Star Elf." -2 con, +2 cha, favored class bard. No elven weapon proficiencies, but they automatically "Ghost Touch" all weapons and armor they use.

Malik
2007-05-23, 07:32 AM
so they are the same as normal elves just without weapon proficiencies and a different bonus set, thanks very much.

squishycube
2007-05-23, 07:32 AM
Sub-race of LA+0 elves out of forgotten realms (Unapproachable East) is the "Star Elf." -2 con, +2 cha, favored class bard. No elven weapon proficiencies, but they automatically "Ghost Touch" all weapons and armor they use.
I told you there was the Who's-Your-Daddy elf :P

Droodle
2007-05-23, 03:08 PM
You could also allow him to buy the LA from Aasimar off at level 3. With LA buyoff, the LA for Aasimars is actually not a big deal.

JaronK
2007-05-23, 03:16 PM
The Lesser Asimar is basically the same as the normal one, except he's not an outsider and is LA 0.

JaronK

Darrin
2007-05-23, 10:55 PM

"Otherworldly Touch" isn't automatic, it only works between sunset and sunrise, and only while worn or carried in hand. The nice thing about them is even though they're in a FR-specific sourcebook, they're extra-planar and thus could reasonably be found anywhere outside of Faerun.

If that doesn't work, see if you can track down Dragon #306. Use the "Magic-Blooded" racial template to add +2 Cha/-2 Wis to any base race (LA = 0) (check the 3.0 Templates on Crystalkeep for the details).

Otherwise, there's a couple ways to play a LA 0 Aasimar. You can use the half- or non-outsider version from one of the FR sourcebooks. Or use the LA 0 Aasimar on the WotC site and either put off taking your racial level or just never take it:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

ocato
2007-05-23, 10:58 PM
Now, you say magic blooded pertains to base races only, so you couldn't be a Magic Blooded Star Elf, could you?

TheOOB
2007-05-23, 11:08 PM
Yeah i thought the Aasimar were pretty good option too except for the level adjustment, what would you suggest for slightly modifying the Aasimar so it doesnt have the level adjustment?

Edit: Was thinking of maybe a half aasimar, i dont know if there is one in core but i was thinking drop the wis bonus keep the cha, change darkvision to low light, no resistances, keep +2 to spot and listen. Any good?

With LA buyback an Aasimar doesn't have LA +1 for long, they can buyback their LA at ECL 4 which would make them a level 2 character. Given thats pretty weak at that time, but by level 6-7 they will have closed the gap for the most part.

Stevenson
2007-05-24, 05:09 AM
Chaos gnome. And it gets a whole slew of other bonuses too. I love them.

I believe (don't feel like looking it up).....

+2 CHA, +2 CON, +2 DEX, -2 STR. I think.

And it gets Entropic Shield, Flare, Daze, and Prestigitation as Spell-like abilities.

And it's immune to confusion.

And it's able to re-roll one dice a day.

All for +1 LA.

Darrin
2007-05-24, 06:14 AM
Now, you say magic blooded pertains to base races only, so you couldn't be a Magic Blooded Star Elf, could you?

I said nothing of the sort. Applying a LA 0 Template to a LA 0 race should be fine by RAW.

A Magic-Blooded Star Elf would be +4 Cha, -2 Con, -2 Wis.

Person_Man
2007-05-24, 09:48 AM
The great list of all LA 0 races (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=697653).

DaMullet
2007-05-24, 10:04 AM
Wizards.com has a nice Racial Level for Aasimar and Tiefling at LA+0.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Bauglir
2007-05-24, 08:40 PM
You could always go Hellbred, if you don't mind being Good aligned. Fiendish Codex 2. +2 Cha, -2 Con, and some nifty senses. On the other hand, there really are better races out there.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-05-24, 09:03 PM

I like that!!!