PDA

View Full Version : Movies MCU Blackpanther Speculation

t209
2015-10-16, 01:58 PM
So Blackpanther/T'Challa is coming up with Civil War Movie role as member of Registration, either a group of fascists or organization trying to reduce superhero equivalent of police misconduct. But I wonder how it will be portrayed since I have a bad feeling about writers after good ol' Hudlin made him a isolationist prick unintetionally (like criticising oil dependencies while hoarding hi-tech, or developing weapons while criticising on fear on selling unobtainium). Even though Earth's Mightiest Heroes was a good show, the idea of "high-tech isolationist kingdom despite having a tribal government and implication of being a jerk for not handing out revolutionary tech" kinda bugs me as someone who have read and analyzed on Industrial Revolution and anthropology on societies.
So what idea they will go with?
- Meiji Restoration-esque story with T'Challa trying to modernize his country while preserving the traditions (like whether to go with new parliament government with risk of clan division or enlightened monarch with risk of revolt and international scrutiny).
- Marvel equivalent of Karl Franz with him trying to unify his country in coming tide of Thanos and malevolent forced.
- Comic storyline based on F4 where T'Challa invited the team as a hunting game as part of his test.
So any opinions.

TeChameleon
2015-10-17, 04:37 AM
... y'know, as long as it's not that weird Mary-Sue 'smarter than Reed Richards, a better fighter than Captain America, always right, always perfect already cured cancer but the rest of the world don't deserve to have it' version, I'll be happy enough with most stuff- the Black Panther is rather cool, but suffers Wonder Woman syndrome- very, very few writers really know what to do with him.

Oh, and if it were up to me, I'd love to see him in one of his capeless costumes with gold accents- like this one (http://comicsalliance.com/files/2011/01/blackpanther-1295575542.jpg)- it would help dodge Batman comparisons, and it's one of my favourite looks on him.

DiscipleofBob
2015-10-21, 04:49 AM
Personally I kind of hope for the MCU version of Wakanda they defy both stereotypes and just make it a developed first-world country with isolationist foreign policies and just enough of the mystic traditions to sell the Panther stuff. It would buck the trend of all of Africa being portrayed as an impoverished war-torn third world country when the reality is quite different.

Legato Endless
2015-10-21, 02:14 PM
... y'know, as long as it's not that weird Mary-Sue 'smarter than Reed Richards, a better fighter than Captain America, always right, always perfect already cured cancer but the rest of the world don't deserve to have it' version, I'll be happy enough with most stuff- the Black Panther is rather cool, but suffers Wonder Woman syndrome- very, very few writers really know what to do with him.

Oh, and if it were up to me, I'd love to see him in one of his capeless costumes with gold accents- like - it would help dodge Batman comparisons, and it's one of my favourite looks on him.

I dig the gold accents, though honestly, I'll be willing to put up with a lot so long as they keep his face covered in costume.

[URL="http://shiningstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ultimate-avengers-the-movie.jpg"]Unlike this Ultimate Avengers abomination. (http://comicsalliance.com/files/2011/01/blackpanther-1295575542.jpg[this one[/url)

T'Challa is the representative of a god on Earth, the head of a cult, a divine mandate in flesh. He's supposed to look slightly inhumanly regal and bestial. Giving a Priest-King what looks like a wrestling mask just siphons away all of that dignity.

t209
2015-10-21, 03:14 PM
I dig the gold accents, though honestly, I'll be willing to put up with a lot so long as they keep his face covered in costume.

Unlike this Ultimate Avengers abomination. (http://shiningstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/ultimate-avengers-the-movie.jpg)

T'Challa is the representative of a god on Earth, the head of a cult, a divine mandate in flesh. He's supposed to look slightly inhumanly regal and bestial. Giving a Priest-King what looks like a wrestling mask just siphons away all of that dignity.
Well, the comic version might be debatable like
- Inability to speak
- Mutant
- One time when Captain America turned out to be him.

Logic
2015-10-23, 06:28 PM
Well, the comic version might be debatable like
- Inability to speak
- Mutant
- One time when Captain America turned out to be him.

That was one of the few good and in-character things to happen in the entire Ultimates line.

I buy Steve standing in for Black Panther so T'Challa can return home. It does have a few negative connotations that I don't think the artists or writers thought of, but I don't think we would ever see something like that in a cartoon or on film.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-16, 01:21 PM
OK I am late to this party in every way. I know almost nothing about the character. I read him in a few avenger books over the years, I know he married and divorced one of my top 5 x-men, and I saw the 2nd ultimate avengers cartoon. I disliked him in seceret wars because I couldn't figure him out, but I like him in the first 2 issues of the ultimates these last two months...

I was going to come ask about him, but the opening post has this in it...

... cured cancer but the rest of the world don't deserve to have it'

please tell me there isn't really a story like that?

t209
2015-12-16, 05:21 PM
OK I am late to this party in every way. I know almost nothing about the character. I read him in a few avenger books over the years, I know he married and divorced one of my top 5 x-men, and I saw the 2nd ultimate avengers cartoon. I disliked him in seceret wars because I couldn't figure him out, but I like him in the first 2 issues of the ultimates these last two months...

I was going to come ask about him, but the opening post has this in it...

please tell me there isn't really a story like that?
https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/3948993.html#cutid1
Let's see what good ol' Hudlin did to him?

GloatingSwine
2015-12-16, 06:28 PM
Let's all just pretend that Reginald Hudlin is not a thing which happened to Black Panther, eh?

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-16, 07:26 PM
https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/3948993.html#cutid1
Let's see what good ol' Hudlin did to him?

omg... I thought they butchered stark and made him too much a villain... the entire idea of this turns my stomach...