PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Feats for a Swashlock

Edgerunner
2015-10-16, 03:14 PM
The long term plan is Swashbuckler7 /Archfey Bladelock13.

At first lvl and got Variant Human so in need of a Feat, and a plan for future feats.
I will not be going Bladelock until after I hit Swash3 then I will drive for 5 before I go back to Swash.

After Rolls and +'s my ability's are-
Str 11
Dex 18
Con14
Int 8
Wis 13
Cha 16

All told I will get 5 total ASI, including my starting feat, and I plan on using 3 of them for Dex and Cha 20.

I plan on using the character for hit and run tactics in melee mixed in with some spell sniping from range. The tactics may not be optimal but it sure looks FUN.
The DM gave me the OK to use the Duelist fighting style as it seemed to fit the character well so that gives me a free hand for spells and +2 to damage.
As per Fancy Footwork if I attack a creature it cannot make opportunity attacks against me for
the rest of my turn.
As per Toujours l’Audace I will be getting to add my Dex and Cha bonuses to my initiative.

Now it's time to pick my first, and future feats.

Alert seems good but may be redundant with Toujours l’Audace
Defensive Duelist might work but it seems better for higher lvls not lower.
War Caster... some folks love it and some hate it.
Mobile may be a plus.
Lucky is always a good feat but do I need something else more?
Resilient is never a bad idea but will it enhance the character or just shore it up.
Magic Initiate may or may not be redundant.

What should be my first feat and what will enhance or shore up weak points in the build later on?

EDIT: If I go Swash8 /Bladelock12 I get another ASI but lose a spell so it may be a trade-off I will need to make.

JakOfAllTirades
2015-10-17, 02:05 AM
Based on my experience (so far) playing a 10th level Fey pact BladeLock:

Alertness stacks with Toujours L'audace (ultimately giving you a +15 Initiative score) and also prevents you from being surprised.
War Caster isn't absolutely necessary for this build.
Defensive Duelist isn't as useful as it looks because you'll have other/better uses for your Reaction. (Misty Escape, Hellish Rebuke)
Resilient (Con) would be useful.
Lucky is a good feat for anyone, and thematically appropriate for both Fey-oriented and Swashbuckling characters.
Elemental Adept would let you bypass Resistance with your fire spells. You don't have many, but you could grab more with...
Magic Initiate (Sorcerer) for Fire Bolt, Greenflame Blade, Burning Hands, etc. (Assuming GFB might not be on the Warlock cantrip list.)
Inspiring Leader will make your character really popular with his allies.

Paeleus
2015-10-17, 02:40 AM
Ugh, I hate to say it, but the Dual Weilding Feat? This lets you have 3 attacks with SA damage. Running away to pop off an EB next round? Use your interact with an object to sheath your off hand weapon. I think the Swashbuckler was meant to dual wield seeing as how they gave it the Mobile feat as a class feature to work around not being able to use Cunning Action while dual wielding.

CNagy
2015-10-17, 05:00 AM
I've always felt that Sentinel was thematically appropriate for a Swashbuckler. You have the freedom to hit and move, but you deny it to others. The Swashbuckler is a larger-than-life presence, and you punish anyone who attempts to focus their attention (attacks) elsewhere. It's like always getting the last word, punctuated by puncturing your opponent with a sneak attack even if he attempts to Disengage.

JakOfAllTirades
2015-10-17, 10:41 AM
Ugh, I hate to say it, but the Dual Weilding Feat? This lets you have 3 attacks with SA damage. Running away to pop off an EB next round? Use your interact with an object to sheath your off hand weapon. I think the Swashbuckler was meant to dual wield seeing as how they gave it the Mobile feat as a class feature to work around not being able to use Cunning Action while dual wielding.

For a single class Swashbuckler, I'd agree 100%. When multi classing with BladeLock, not so much. I've found it's best to keep a hand free for spellcasting; my character fights with his pact blade in one hand and his arcane focus in the other. Note that this would still allow Edgerunner's character to get the damage bonus for Dueling fighting style.

Edgerunner
2015-10-17, 12:29 PM
Here are my best options as I see them after listening to suggestions.

Lucky- I have never used it before but it does look like a pretty solid Safety Net.
Actor- Not exactly a needed feat but Incredibly Useful
Magic Initiate- My DM warned me that If I take it I will not have access to it until I get my first lvl of Warlock. Extra cantrips and an extra 1st lvl spell may not be a bad thing at lowwer lvls.

If I do take Magic Initiate I am looking at Bard since it meshes well with Cha Spells and gives me......
Vicious Mockery looks to fit right in with Swash and I never get to 9th lvl for Panache.
Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation because I have to take Eldritch Blast and both of those cantrips are very useful.