PDA

View Full Version : eldritch blast questions..

animewatcha
2015-10-16, 03:19 PM
Warlock x / cleric x / eldritch disciple x / hellfire warlock x .

Healing blast.. Can it be combined with the Hellfire blast to get the eldritch blast to heal more damage? Can you attach the eldritch chain invocation to healing blast and affect more than one target? What about Healing blast + hellfire + chain?

The delivering of touch spell ability. Do you use it with eldritch blast range so wind up delivering a inflict x wounds spell at range or what?

Psyren
2015-10-16, 03:24 PM
"Fear not my ally! Be soothed by the wondrous healing powers of HELL!!"

(Yes, this works as written.)

For delivering a spell via Eldritch Blast, that is an ET ability not an ED ability. ED lets you add an essence to a touch spell or ranged spell.

animewatcha
2015-10-16, 03:47 PM
This would mean that the spell would need to have reach / chain to be useable at range then? What eldritch essences are useful for adding then when dealing with clerics and what situation?

Troacctid
2015-10-16, 03:52 PM
Premier eldritch essences include Vitriolic Blast to bypass SR, and Noxious Blast or Incarnum Blast to apply a save-or-lose.

And you can use it on ranged touch attacks too, so you don't necessarily need Reach Spell.

Necroticplague
2015-10-16, 03:56 PM
No, this wouldn't work. Healing Blast lets you turn an Eldritch Blast into a Healing Blast. Hellfire lets you turn an Eldritch Blast into a Hellfire Blast. You can't combine them because once one has been applied, it's no longer a valid target for the other ability (a Hellfire blast isn't an Eldritch Blast, so healing Blast can't be applied, and a healing blast isn't an eldritch blast, so Hellfire Blast can't be applied).

Troacctid
2015-10-16, 03:57 PM
No, this wouldn't work. Healing Blast lets you turn an Eldritch Blast into a Healing Blast. Hellfire lets you turn an Eldritch Blast into a Hellfire Blast. You can't combine them because once one has been applied, it's no longer a valid target for the other ability (a Hellfire blast isn't an Eldritch Blast, so healing Blast can't be applied, and a healing blast isn't an eldritch blast, so Hellfire Blast can't be applied).

Hellfire Blasts are Eldritch Blasts. It works.

JoranShadeslayr
2015-10-16, 11:57 PM
It works only at epic levels and only if you have the eldritch sculptor epic feat. Healing blast and hellfire blast are basically like essence invocations and you can't use more than one essence invocation on a single eldritch blast at pre-epic levels. It wouldn't let you heal more damage though. Half the blast would be a healing blast and the other half would be a hellfire blast so they would just cancel each other out.

Troacctid
2015-10-17, 12:03 AM
Hellfire Blast is not an eldritch essence. You can use it alongside any eldritch essence you like. There's no conflict, and it does not interact with Eldritch Sculptor.

JoranShadeslayr
2015-10-17, 12:25 AM
I didn't say it was an essence invocation. I said it was LIKE an essence invocation. Specifically in the way it's applied to eb and how it interacts with other invocations that alter eb.

Psyren
2015-10-17, 03:23 AM
Hellfire Blast is not an eldritch essence. You can use it alongside any eldritch essence you like. There's no conflict, and it does not interact with Eldritch Sculptor.

Troacctid is correct; it's not an essence and therefore does not interfere with any essences. It's just a different type of base eldritch blast you can fire.

Folks here can houserule otherwise if they wish but the text of the ability says nothing about it being or even behaving like an essence.

animewatcha
2015-10-18, 12:20 AM
How would vitriolic blast fit in with healing blast?

FocusWolf413
2015-10-18, 12:49 AM
How would vitriolic blast fit in with healing blast?

It heals you, and the next round you take acid damage. Then you wonder why you took an epic feat to allow you to do something so useless.

Kesnit
2015-10-18, 06:43 PM

The language used to describe the change a standard essence makes is the same as the language used to describe a Hellfire blast - you "change your eldritch blast into" the essence you are using, whether it is Brimestone, Beshadowed, Hellrime, Hellfire, etc.

Troacctid
2015-10-18, 06:59 PM
The language used to describe the change a standard essence makes is the same as the language used to describe a Hellfire blast - you "change your eldritch blast into" the essence you are using, whether it is Brimestone, Beshadowed, Hellrime, Hellfire, etc.

Okay. It's still not an eldritch essence.

TheifofZ
2015-10-18, 07:19 PM
The wording on Hellfire Blast very specifically never includes the term "essence" (Except in the paragraph detailing the Con damage using it deals, and then refers to 'your essence' instead. Meaning not Eldritch Essences).
It does not function like, apply, or include any Eldritch Essences. It also never mentions how exactly it interacts with them.

Exact wording is: "Whenever you use your Eldritch Blast, you can change your Eldritch Blast into a Hellfire Blast."
And that is literally all it has to say on the matter of what a Hellfire Blast actually is. Everything after details damage, damage type, and the exact interaction of the Con Damage.

I personally would say it's not an Essence, and does not prevent the application of Eldritch Essences, nor things that replace or modify the Eldritch Essence 'slot' on an Eldritch Blast (Such as Healing Blast), because there is no language in the section of those rules that specifically mentions such a thing.

elonin
2015-10-18, 09:02 PM
I don't understand the mechanics of warlock blasts. Reminds me of a notion I had about using sneak attack with a wand of cure light to deal sneak damage as extra healing. But there was a ruling somewhere about how that doesn't work.

Psyren
2015-10-18, 10:59 PM
I don't understand the mechanics of warlock blasts. Reminds me of a notion I had about using sneak attack with a wand of cure light to deal sneak damage as extra healing. But there was a ruling somewhere about how that doesn't work.

You can sneak attack with inflict wounds. But cure doesn't do damage, except to undead (who are immune to sneak attack in 3.5 anyway.) Sneak Attack only triggers on spells, attacks and other abilities that do damage.

Eldritch Blast does damage and requires an attack roll, thus you can SA with it.