PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Best Adventure Path for New Players

FooBot
2015-10-16, 03:42 PM
I am looking for advice for a good Adventure path to run for a group that will most likely consist of new players or at least inexperienced ones.
I am not particular on whether it is 3rd party of published by Paizo. I was considering running Way of the Wicked by Fire Mountain Games, but I didn't know if starting players in an evil game, even a well written one, would be a good idea. I have run new players through a good chunk of Rise of the Runelords before, and was actually quite disappointed with the lack of real cohesion between each module. I felt like I was just sort of leading the players around to vaguely related adventure areas. Does anyone have a good experience with an adventure path that they think might be a good place to start for people who are new to the game?

CockroachTeaParty
2015-10-16, 04:15 PM
Kingmaker might be a decent choice, especially if you think attendance might be sporadic. It's easy to write-off missing characters/players being back in the kingdom doing stuff, and the adventure is relatively episodic. The rough 'one encounter a day' is pretty forgiving for newbies that might not know how to expend resources properly. I would suggest using the 'kingdom in the background' variant so that they don't have to worry too much about the silly kingdom-making rules on top of everything else.

Vhaidara
2015-10-16, 04:17 PM
The two big recommendations you're likely to get are RotRL (because people don't like reading the first post and it's really popular) and Curse of the Crimson Throne. I haven't gotten very far into it at any point, but from what I've seen, CotCT is a REALLY solid AP. With one glaring flaw.

The man who all of the campaign traits revolve around, Gaedran Lamm? He's the fight that puts you to level 2. And he never comes up again. The Player's Guide sets him up as being this big bad villain person, and he's literally the tutorial mission. I saw half a group of players (myself included) writing characters for whom bringing him down was meant to be a defining character moment. And then he just dies and is never mentioned again.

But BESIDES that. It's good.

Kira_the_5th
2015-10-16, 04:35 PM
The two big recommendations you're likely to get are RotRL (because people don't like reading the first post and it's really popular) and Curse of the Crimson Throne. I haven't gotten very far into it at any point, but from what I've seen, CotCT is a REALLY solid AP. With one glaring flaw.

The man who all of the campaign traits revolve around, Gaedran Lamm? He's the fight that puts you to level 2. And he never comes up again. The Player's Guide sets him up as being this big bad villain person, and he's literally the tutorial mission. I saw half a group of players (myself included) writing characters for whom bringing him down was meant to be a defining character moment. And then he just dies and is never mentioned again.

But BESIDES that. It's good.

Seconding Crimson Throne. The only other thing I'd mention is that it can get a bit "cut-scene-y" at times, but for new players, that might not be quite as much of an issue if the players are just learning how to play. Still, I'd probably keep the part where
Iloesa kills the leader of, I think it was the Sable Company, during a speech
as an event the party hears about second-hand, rather than being in a position where they have the option to intervene and potentially TPK.

CockroachTeaParty
2015-10-16, 05:30 PM
You'll have to convert Curse of the Crimson Throne, though, since it was written under 3.5 rules.