PDA

View Full Version : The Well Rounded Champion Fighter

Alikat
2015-10-16, 05:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm bringing a new character into an ongoing level 11 campaign and had a great opportunity in how I build them: I'll be starting with two magic items and know exactly what they are. The character will be joining the party as the result of a jailbreak they staged last session. As such he will have no starting equipment when the rest of the party has several items by this point, to make up for this, our DM let me choose a +2 tome that the character read years ago (middle aged human). I'll also be receiving gauntlets of ogre strength from the barbarian who no longer needs them.

Anyways, this is what he's looking like and I'm loving it so much I had to share:

Starting stat array, 27 point build, variant human, custom background.
8 str
13 dex (+1 vhuman)
14 con (+1 vhuman)
10 int
15 wis
12 cha

Lvl 1 vhuman feat: Dual wielder
lvl 1 DM granted feat (all players) resilient dexterity
lvl 1 & 10 fighting styles: TWF and Defensive
lvl 4 ASI: +1 dex + 1 con
lvl 6 ASI: +2 dex
lvl 8 feat: resilient wisdom.
Gauntlets of Ogre strength set str to 19
+2 Dex tome already read

Lvl 11 stats:
19 str
20 dex
16 con
10 int
16 wis
12 cha

Because of the level 7 champion ability remarkable athlete I've put all his skill proficiencies into mental stat skills; Insight, intimidation, medicine, perception, and performance. And thieves tools proficiency taken from his background, giving me the following modifiers:

Saves:
+9 dex
+8 str
+7 con
+7 wis
+1 cha
+0 int

Raw ability checks:
+7 dex
+6 str
+5 con
+3 wis
+1 cha
+0 int

Skills:
+9 thieves tools
+7 acrobatics
+7 insight
+7 medicine
+7 sleight of hand
+7 perception
+7 stealth
+6 athletics
+5 intimidation
+5 performance
+3 animal handling
+3 survival
Then 0's and 1's in the rest of the knowledge and social skills.

Background: A human slave taken from the surface by drow raiding parties as a child. He was trained as a gladiator and became a well known champion in his younger days competing in the fighting pits, and almost as well known for his numerous unsuccessful escape attempts. (think, Steve McQueen in the Great Escape). He calmed down as he grew older and took up a role as a trainer for other young fighting slaves. After almost a decade of laying low as a slave in a drow martial house he lead a small rebellion, once again ending in his capture, but this time scheduled execution, which is where he meets up with the rest of the party.

So he'll be at 19ac, 127hp, do 4d8+20 dmg a round at +9 to hit at lvl 11 and have a huge range of ability, skill, and save proficiencies.

I've wanted to make a champion fighter to take advantage of the huge amount of ASI's to build a batmanish character for a while and I think this ones going to turn out very well. The campaigns going all the way to 20, so I'll have 4 more feats to spend, I want to keep him non magic though so no magic initiate or ritual caster. But I'll be picking up feats like alert, mobility, defensive duelist, and healer I think.