PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Classes for Cleric of Fire Build

creakyaccordion
2015-10-16, 10:43 PM
Hey guys! I've had a character idea rolling around in my head for no campaign in particular, I think I'm going to use it for whatever I play next though. I want to play a Cleric of Aurifar (Neutral Sun god in the Sandstorm splatbook) with the Domains of Fire and Sun (Maybe Light), I generally want to do a lot of summoning of fire outsiders and as much fire damage as I can put out as a cleric (not a lot but I really would rather do divine than arcane, I'm not big on optimization), and my endgame is I want to build a city on the sun for fire creatures. I was wondering if there are any good prestige classes that would fit with this build, since sticking with Cleric for anything past first level doesn't matter as long as you take a PrC with full spellcasting progression. I was considering Warpriest if there's nothing else I can find that's better even though it doesn't have full progression, though I was considering Contemplative too. I'm not huge on either of these though for what I'm going for, and I was wondering if there's anything else that I couldn't find that you all know about that'd work better. Thanks!

SangoProduction
2015-10-17, 01:25 AM
Pathfinder:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/divine-scion
Good news: Full caster progression, and you can be a scion of Sun or Fire or whatever. Bad news: The class features suck. Stick to single-class Cleric.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/darkfire-adept
Good news: It's mentions fire and is about summoning. Evil news: it's also about evil and demons.

So, conclusion: you've got no decent prestige class options from first party Paizo products for your concept, unless you like demons (and even then....). Straight cleric is powerful regardless, though.

In 3.5...you've probably got a good chance of finding something, due to the massive amount of content, but it isn't as easy as looking through Paizo's prestige classes, which were listed alphabetically and had links to their descriptions. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes

So...yeah. Here's hoping someone helps you with that.

Nifft
2015-10-17, 01:34 PM
Sanctified One (from Complete Champion) of Kord gets you a nice Fire perk.

Radiant Servant of Pelor is more Light-centric than Fire, but the Sun domain has a lot of Fire contents, so it's somewhat related.

If you're focused on summoning, you can't do much better than Malconvoker + Thaumaturgist.

In terms of feat support, if you're summoning Fire Elementals, then the feat Initiate of Kossuth is pretty decent. It also adds some nice Fire spells to your Cleric list. Similarly, the feat Initiate of Amaunator allows spontaneous Fire spellcasting, and Initiate of Garyx gives you a free daily Empower on a Fire spell plus adds some higher-level Fire spells to your list. (Initiate of Tiamat gives you two high-level spells which grant multiple energy damage types, including but not limited to Fire.)

TheifofZ
2015-10-17, 04:38 PM
Hey guys! I've had a character idea rolling around in my head for no campaign in particular, I think I'm going to use it for whatever I play next though. I want to play a Cleric of Aurifar (Neutral Sun god in the Sandstorm splatbook) with the Domains of Fire and Sun (Maybe Light), I generally want to do a lot of summoning of fire outsiders and as much fire damage as I can put out as a cleric (not a lot but I really would rather do divine than arcane, I'm not big on optimization), and my endgame is I want to build a city on the sun for fire creatures. I was wondering if there are any good prestige classes that would fit with this build, since sticking with Cleric for anything past first level doesn't matter as long as you take a PrC with full spellcasting progression. I was considering Warpriest if there's nothing else I can find that's better even though it doesn't have full progression, though I was considering Contemplative too. I'm not huge on either of these though for what I'm going for, and I was wondering if there's anything else that I couldn't find that you all know about that'd work better. Thanks!

Unfortunately, WotC has a huge hard-on for Arcane casters, so Divine casters have a much more limited selection of options to work with in terms of PrCs within 3.5e. And even within those limited selections, none of them are that good: The ones for cleric tend to be sub-par except for super-niche specializations (Radiant Servant of Pelor and Winterhaunt of Iborhigu spring to mind). You want something broad with more than just a little power in the things you want to do, so you'll lose a lot more than you'll gain.
Honestly, if you went Arcane and said 'screw optimization' you could have at least 3 PrCs for either option, but as it is, you're... kind of SoL.
Your best bet is to just go full cleric and dabble in both using feats and spell-selection, instead. That, or try to get an Arcane Spellcaster PrC reskinned and refluffed to function for Divine instead.

Temotei
2015-10-17, 04:51 PM
An adaptation of the jade phoenix mage in Tome of Battle to work with divine magic might do it if your DM is okay with it. Pretty easy adaptation--just replace all instances of "arcane" with "divine."

kelmir osue
2016-09-16, 03:59 PM
Hey, I have the answer for you, although it is a hombrew prestige class, it should fit your stile. I call it the Flame Priest, it is an awsome fire based prestige class that you should give a try. It is on dandwiki.

ShurikVch
2016-09-16, 05:00 PM
My 2 cents:
High Elemental Binder (Player's Guide to Eberron)
Hearfire Fanner (Dragon #314)

Anthrowhale
2016-09-16, 07:22 PM
There are some pretty good Cleric [Fire] Spells.

1) Take DMM(Persistent Spell), Energy Admixture[Fire], Sudden Maximize, Sudden Empower, and Searing Spell using it on Darkfire to get iterative ranged touch 60+5d6 searing fire attacks all day long.
2) Use the L9 cleric spell 'Erupt' (Serpent Kingdoms) to do some monstrous damage.

Consider Elemental Savant and Thaumaturgist as prestige classes.

The Viscount
2016-09-18, 03:05 PM
I'm going to recommend the rarely discussed Elemental Archon from Faiths and Pantheons. It's 7/10ths, gives some elemental related features, but the big draw here is the mephit underlings. There's a lot you can do with 3 intelligent outsiders, and they're very expendable because they return the next day at no penalty.

weckar
2016-09-19, 05:14 AM
Away from book, but isn't Wanderer in the Waste cleric compatible, and deal mostly with heat effects?

Inevitability
2016-09-19, 06:19 AM
Hey, I have the answer for you, although it is a hombrew prestige class, it should fit your stile. I call it the Flame Priest, it is an awsome fire based prestige class that you should give a try. It is on dandwiki.

Thread necromancy: I guess it happens. Sometimes people make mistakes: no big deal.

Thread necromancy combined with dandwiki references, though? BURN FOUL NECROMANCER!

Fizban
2016-09-19, 06:47 AM
Having taken a look I'll second that vote for Elemental Archon. Those aren't just disposable mephits, they're disposable mephits with scaling companion benefits, familiar evasion and save replacement, and an empathic link that means they won't screw up your orders. They can also drop a solid combat buff on your and absorb lethal attacks.

Losing three casting levels is bad, but Clerics don't get much in the way of high level fire spells anyway. All you need is Practiced Spellcaster to absorb the lost caster levels, then you can pile on more caster level boosts and the all-important free metamagic via the method of your choice.

The main catch is that you said you want to summon fire outsiders for combat, which will get worse. But clerics are already bad at that since they have to use Summon Monster instead of Summon Nature's Ally (which gets elementals a full tier better as well as Salamanders).

Edit: oh snap, should have expected necromancy after the corpse I saw earlier.