PDA

View Full Version : Using Tarot Cards for Encounters

Chained Birds
2015-10-16, 11:29 PM
Recently, I was chosen to DM for the weekend due to our current DM having to deal with work. Because of last weekend's positive experience from both players and I, I will most likely be switching off and on with our main DM so he can play characters and get a break.

The campaign is based off of exploration of a dead zone area that has never been properly explored, so literally any encounter can be possible there within reason. The setting is also something whipped up with just enough information to build backstories and lore for the PCs. Although with the prospect of "anything can happen", I sometimes find myself too inspired and just can't choose what cool encounter I really want to go with next.

So, I thought of incorporating Tarot cards to determine what the theme of the encounter might be. And using the Minor Arcana (Just regular deck of cards) separate from the Major Arcana to determine factors about the encounter.

Here is what I have so far:
0 - The Fool: Side Quest
1 - The Magician: Option of Power
2 - The High Priestess: Mystery
3 - The Empress: Resources (Over Time)
4 - The Emperor: Figure of Authority
5 - The Hierophant: Religion Building
6 - The Lovers: Relationship Building
7 - The Chariot: Champion
8 - Strength: Skill Challenge
9 - The Hermit: Character Building
10 - Wheel of Fortune: Chance (50/50 Good/Bad)
11 - Justice: Consequences of Actions
12 - The Hanged Man: Obstacle
13 - Death: Dramatic Change
14 - Temperance: Restoration or Healing
15 - The Devil: Encouragement of Behavior
16 - The Tower: Disaster
17 - The Star: Guidance
18 - The Moon: Incluence (Good or Bad)
19 - The Sun: Good Fortune (Jackpot!)
20 - Judgement: ... (Got Nothing For This One)
21 - The World: World Building
Coins (Diamonds): Reward Level
(1-6) = Common
(7-10) = Uncommon
(Jack-King) = Rare
(Ace) = Legendary
Wands (Clubs): Arcane Influence
(1-6) = Cantrips - 2 Level
(7-10) = Cantrips - 6 Level
(Jack-King) = 5 - 8 Level
(Ace) = 7 - 9 Level
Cups (Hearts): Divine Influence
(1-6) = Cantrips - 2 Level
(7-10) = Cantrips - 6 Level
(Jack-King) = 5 - 8 Level
(Ace) = 7 - 9 Level
Swords (Spades): Enemy Difficulty
(1-6) = Regular Enemies (By the Book)
(7-10) = Advanced Enemies (Increased Stats, New Abilities, Etc.)
(Jack-King) = Class Levels
(Ace) = Tucker's Kobolds Level of Nefariousness

Joker - Draw a Major Arcana (Replace or Add effects as appropriate)

Is this idea flawed or can it work out?

Also... Still looking for a suggestion for Judgement, as that one is kind of confusing to put in "Encounter" building terminology.

Talyn
2015-10-17, 09:45 AM
"Judgement" can be "the consequences of the PC's previous actions come back to them, for good or for ill."

Maybe the guy they cheated back at Level 1 has become guildmaster and wants revenge - ill. Maybe the fairy you rescued from the witch's hut tells you a secret path to an enchanted grove where the fruit acts like potions of healing - good. Maybe the Count you rescued from rakshasa assassins wants the Paladin to marry his daughter and make him his heir - whether that's good or bad is up to the Paladin (and the daughter!).

Chained Birds
2015-10-17, 10:04 AM
"Judgement" can be "the consequences of the PC's previous actions come back to them, for good or for ill."

Kind of using this idea for Justice, seeing as they are very similar. Unless there is a better use for Justice?