PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Hiding in Plain Sight Help

ThespisGuardian
2015-10-16, 11:34 PM
Alright. So I have recently made a character (3.5 & 3.0 mix), and convinced my DM to allow me use of the Dark Template (ToM). I am playing a sniper-type character and would like some clarification.

The Dark template allows me the Su use of Hide in Plain Sight. I read somewhere that this makes you effectively considered invisible. Is this true?

Curmudgeon
2015-10-16, 11:39 PM
The Tome of Magic Dark template offers the poorest, Extraordinary version of Hide in Plain Sight in D&D. It gives you a bypass on the "not being observed" requirement to Hide, but does nothing for the cover/concealment requirement. And it outright fails to work in daylight.

But if you are successfully hidden, then yes, you have the same benefits as someone who is visually undetectable though other means such as invisibility: +2 to attacks, and those who can't see you are denied their DEX bonus to AC.

ThespisGuardian
2015-10-16, 11:42 PM
Ah. What would you recommend, other than the Shadowdancer dip?

SangoProduction
2015-10-17, 02:41 AM
Ah. What would you recommend, other than the Shadowdancer dip?

Dark Template on page 172 of Cormyr, The Tearing of the Weave.

It lets you get away with having none of the requirements of normal hiding. You still need to be in less than daylight conditions (or shadows, I forget). And you still must actually hide in order to count as "invisible".

If your DM is crazy, or mean, then taking the Shadow template for just another +1 LA makes you permanently under the effects of Total Concealment while in less than daylight conditions. No hiding. Works through attacks you use. Even Glitterdust doesn't counter it, though Fearie Fire still does by getting rid of concealment.

Curmudgeon
2015-10-17, 03:45 AM
The Dark template in Tome of Magic is the general version. The one in Cormyr: The Tearing of the Weave is specific to Forgotten Realms. If your campaign is set there, use that version; it's superior in being Supernatural and not needing cover/concealment. If your campaign is not in FR, you're probably going to need something which creates cover/concealment to satisfy the other Hide skill use requirement. The Mithralmist Shirt (Complete Arcane, pages 142-143) would be my recommendation.