PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next dragon totem+feats Idea for barbarians

CrispyKingPin
2015-10-17, 01:13 AM
okay so I'll go ahead and lay it out, I am a orc barbarian, We are playing the Rise of Tiamat module at the moment. I'm playing a barbarian, and me and the blue dragon had a rivalry pretty hard. I'm a hunter, so I skinned him, I now wear his pelt, and his head as a helmet.

Our characters have become really close, this last session my orc decided to reveal himself to the party as a orc, everyone was chill mostly, some taken back a tad, but mostly chill.
Now I am a bear totem aspect, because I am the teams tank. However They have taken to calling me dragonslayer now. So that's a cool bit that's happening.

However this is my dilemma, we are lvl 4 and I want a good rage feat, however none exist in 5th edition yet. So any good ideas or links are appreciated.

I talked to my dm, and he thinks a Dragon totem aspect would work, because I don't have a true deity and bahamut is looking pretty happy about all the tiamat cult slaying we are doing. Plus my character is really really starting to respect the primal nature of dragons. We also have the idea that the half dragon he slayed could become some sort of spirit for me since he was more of a vegeta rival at the end of it all.

Any ideas are great, however what I really need is a balanced yet fun and flavorful stating of the levels and abilities for that totem.
All ideas welcome, nothing to be ruled out, hit me with ideas.

weaseldust
2015-10-17, 09:06 AM
I'm guessing you don't want to change your level-3 bear totem ability, so you only want ideas for a dragon totem from level 6 onward?

The level 6 ability is non-combat oriented for the other totems. I would suggest: you learn Draconic, you have advantage on charisma checks to interact with dragons, and you are immune to being frightened.

The level 10 ability is Commune with Nature for the other totems, but I would suggest you change it to Commune, so you can ask Bahamut questions.

The level 14 ability is rage-related for the other totems. I would suggest gaining one use of the blue dragonborn's breath weapon when you enter rage.

You might also want to swap out the rituals you get at level 3, Speak with Animals and Beast Sense, since they aren't so relevant to a dragon-themed Barbarian. There are no obvious dragon- or lightning-themed rituals, so you want some other abilities useful for exploration and investigation. I'd suggest that you get a dragon's darkvision (out to 120 feet) and the ability to cast Alter Self on yourself as a ritual, since dragons with magic are typically shapechangers, and since it lets you grow claws or scales, or survive underwater like a dragon.

Satyrnine
2015-10-17, 12:30 PM
I found myself in a very similar position OP and have spent the last couple of weeks agonizing over a solid dragon totem line. Feel free to try my Dragon Totem post, I'm too green to link it here but it should show up in the homebrew forums.

That being said, everything weaseldust said was gold, so maybe go with his ideas. I'm going to take his note on level 10.

Submortimer
2015-10-18, 05:28 PM
I found myself in a very similar position OP and have spent the last couple of weeks agonizing over a solid dragon totem line. Feel free to try my Dragon Totem post, I'm too green to link it here but it should show up in the homebrew forums.

That being said, everything weaseldust said was gold, so maybe go with his ideas. I'm going to take his note on level 10.

I'm always up for a bit of self promotion...

Path of the Dragon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?420199-Barbarian-Primal-Path-Path-of-the-Dragon)