PDA

View Full Version : Is there any obvious flaw with this build?

Spacehamster
2015-10-17, 07:54 AM
12 levels champion fig, 4 levels hunter ranger and 4 levels bear totem barb. Two handed style and the climb/swim speed style from champion and archery style from hunter. With horde breaker you most of the time get a shot at a extra attack.

You got hunters mark for extra damage when not raging and amazing lasting power when you do rage + some extra dmg. Polearm master + sentinel gives plenty of extra attacks and great weapon master possibility of better bonus attack and the -5/+10 thingy.

It gets especially good if you have rolled good stats so you can take more feats. But that is same for all builds ofc. Prob best with half Orc.

Dontdestroyme
2015-10-17, 08:04 AM
Yes the problem is you need 3 for hunter to be online, 4 for the ASI, 3 for barbarian, 4 for the ASI, and neither of those includes extra attack which you need, so you need to go either:

Fighter 5 then tech to the other two, so you won't come online until level 11 at the earliest, and you'll have only one ASI at fighter 4. Maybe you could go fighter 5 and go quick to one of the other two at 4, that way you get your second ASI only a level behind, but now you're waiting until level 12 for your idea to happen.

I guess luckily you'll be fighter 5, hunter 4, barbarian 4, and then after your 3rd ASI at 13 you get a 4th the very next level at fighter 6. So after getting your three feats you can finally bump your strength to 18.

This whole thing will take forever to work.

Assuming you're playing hotdq or something which goes to 15... Which is generous that you'll make it to the end... You're going to spend months and months building to your build coming online, and at that point you basically traded fighters extra extra attack for the ability to rage twice a day and the ability to cast hunters mark a few times.

If I was you I would pick which was more important, barbarian or ranger and try one out. Just think about the reality of getting to the point you want to get to.

At best you won't play a hunter barbarian champion without gimping yourself by not hitting power milestones at 5 and 11 AT THE EARLIEST at fighter 5 ranger 1 barbarian 1, and that's half he game gone by practically. And you'd be kind of weird to alternate barbarian and ranger every other level like that.

Why not just go barbarian 5 to ranger? Or vis versa? Do you need fighter in the mix? Can you just play an outlander fighter?

Mara
2015-10-17, 08:09 AM
The style feature is not likely to stack. So pick your top two styles.

Keep in mind that you are losing survivor, 18-20 crits, Two uses of indomitable, One use of action surge per short rest, One ASI, and that 4th attack at the very end.

I'm going to say that levels 17, 18, and 20 are better for the pure fighter than anything you'll get from multiclassing. That leaves levels 13, 14, 15, 16, and 19 to make up for that lost. That first level of barbarian is probably better than one use of indomitable. It will be tough to beast the ASI at 14 with either second level barbarian or first level ranger. Superior crit is not all that amazing, multiclassing with end up ahead pretty easily. 16 is a wash, both get an ASI unless you mixed in multiple classes by this point. At 19 fighters get an ASI, while yours is coming at 20.

I would drop ranger. It multiclasses better with more casting builds than what you have planned out. 8 levels of barbarian combo fairly well with 12 levels of Fighter. Well enough to make up for the lost high level fighter features.

Spacehamster
2015-10-17, 08:10 AM
Won't be behind in power at all go fighter 6 have two attacks two feats, then finish prob barb then ranger, no gimping anywhere on the way and you get useful things all the way through.

Spacehamster
2015-10-17, 08:12 AM
The style feature is not likely to stack. So pick your top two styles.

Keep in mind that you are losing survivor, 18-20 crits, Two uses of indomitable, One use of action surge per short rest, One ASI, and that 4th attack at the very end.

I'm going to say that levels 17, 18, and 20 are better for the pure fighter than anything you'll get from multiclassing. That leaves levels 13, 14, 15, 16, and 19 to make up for that lost. That first level of barbarian is probably better than one use of indomitable. It will be tough to beast the ASI at 14 with either second level barbarian or first level ranger. Superior crit is not all that amazing, multiclassing with end up ahead pretty easily. 16 is a wash, both get an ASI unless you mixed in multiple classes by this point. At 19 fighters get an ASI, while yours is coming at 20.

I would drop ranger. It multiclasses better with casting builds than what you have planned out. 8 levels of barbarian combo fairly well with 12 levels of Fighter. Well enough to make up for the lost high level fighter features.

Don't see how hunters mark does not stack well with 5 possible attacks on your turn and 1 possible reaction attack? ;)

Mara
2015-10-17, 08:26 AM
Don't see how hunters mark does not stack well with 5 possible attacks on your turn and 1 possible reaction attack? ;)

1-3 hunter's marks vs 1-2 extra rages a day. Sure a possible 5d6 pump in damage, but overall less than what an extra action surge is going to grant you. I'd rather have some of the mid level barbarian features like not being surprised, moving faster, and another totem power.

Spacehamster
2015-10-17, 08:39 AM
1-3 hunter's marks vs 1-2 extra rages a day. Sure a possible 5d6 pump in damage, but overall less than what an extra action surge is going to grant you. I'd rather have some of the mid level barbarian features like not being surprised, moving faster, and another totem power.

Doubt anyone would level pure fighter longer then 11 or 12, at least I never would since on its on its such a boring class. :) but hey to each their own and yes I would love the barb advantage on initiative and so on but I rather have horde breaker, archery style, hunters mark(v nice with 1hr duration vs rage 1min).

Spacehamster
2015-10-17, 09:09 AM
And sorry if I seem defensive but really do not see the get "online late" problem for this built, at 6 which is the lvl we start the core idea of the build is already online(sentinel and polearm master feats) letting you hit 3 times on your round and possible reaction attack that stops target in its track if it hits. Every level after improves in one way or another on how good I am at doing this, lvl 7 grants rage for a possible + 8 damage per turn if all attacks hits + adds some survivability, also get unarmored defense. Lvl 8 grants reckless attack, lvl 9 grants 3rd rage and bear totem awesomeness, lvl 10 grants ASI/feat, and so on. :)

Mara
2015-10-17, 09:14 AM
Doubt anyone would level pure fighter longer then 11 or 12, at least I never would since on its on its such a boring class. :) but hey to each their own and yes I would love the barb advantage on initiative and so on but I rather have horde breaker, archery style, hunters mark(v nice with 1hr duration vs rage 1min).

You are probably in the minority on most fighters multiclassing out, but probably correct that few people get to level 13 fighters because a lot of games end early.

Spacehamster
2015-10-17, 09:22 AM
You are probably in the minority on most fighters multiclassing out, but probably correct that few people get to level 13 fighters because a lot of games end early.

Might be, kinda always had a multi class obsession lol, anyways sorry if I came off as rude, that were not my intent. :)

Mara
2015-10-17, 09:40 AM
Might be, kinda always had a multi class obsession lol, anyways sorry if I came off as rude, that were not my intent. :)It's fine :)

I think you're character will be fine but I'm unsure if it will be as good as pure fighter.

Spacehamster
2015-10-18, 05:24 PM
So decided that it is the build that I want to go, but after 6 champion its best to go barbarian right, for the survivability it adds? :)