PDA

View Full Version : My players are flying overland with giant eagle, a basket and a portable hole.

stenver
2015-10-17, 08:07 AM
So my players are in a hurry, so they thought of ways to quickly travel overland. Here is what they came up with:
The party gets into a portable hole.
The druid puts the portable hole into a large basket in a way that they have a hole on the top where air comes in.
The druid turns into giant eagle, grabs the basket and starts flying.

The plan seemed legit, so I let them do it and gave them some xp for great idea.

Now, how can I make their trip harder?

Here is what I have thought of so far -
They are flying in cold north - have them roll constitution to avoid getting sick - its cold air out there after all, blowing in from the hole
Have giant bird predators attack them in mid-air. See how can they handle this encounter.

Any other ideas?

Shaofoo
2015-10-17, 08:34 AM
I would advise against doing this.

It would seem that you are punishing them for thinking of this idea.

Would you have let them make Con saves against sickness if they weren't inside a hole? If they know that they are going to the cold north why wouldn't they wear warm? This kind of thinking seems to me like you want to punish them.

Attacking the lone Giant Eagle is a horrible idea and could potentially lead to a TPK when the party can't assist the Giant Eagle because their only solid ground is a large bird.

Unless you planned to have an encounter already then let them go without much fanfare, if you already gave them xp then think that was the xp they could've won if they went on the ground and did some encounters.

Shining Wrath
2015-10-17, 10:34 AM
If you usually use random encounters, you need to add a "while flying" table. Aararocka, dragons, rocs, genie, etc. Then play it straight.

Daishain
2015-10-17, 10:53 AM
Aside from flying enemies, if you need them on the ground, you can always use weather and/or strange magical anomalies to ground the druid. Just don't overuse such things. We don't want to punish them for having a good idea.

Mr.Moron
2015-10-17, 11:29 AM
Aside from flying enemies, if you need them on the ground, you can always use weather and/or strange magical anomalies to ground the druid. Just don't overuse such things. We don't want to punish them for having a good idea.

Having encounters & complications really shouldn't be seen as punishment, it should be seen as making the idea a real and interactive part of the game. Sure, from an in-universe perspective sure it's better everything go smoothly and that no complications or conflicts ever happen and you achieve all your goals with no risk and minimal effort. That doesn't make for a engaging game or story though.

If it's "You get in your giant eagle basket, and you get there: Next Scene!" the whole affair is effectively not part of the game. It interacts with gameplay in no meaningful sense, and the story in only the least substantive way basically just acting as screen fade between scenes. It's no different than saying "You can teleportation spell and get there" or "You just get there, we can ignore how entirely. It don't matter."

This might be fine I guess for something like mundane wagon ride, most of your overnight camping and other stuff that's kind of ordinary and well-trodden. This is really outlandish and unsual though, it's the sort of idea that deserves to actually be a memorable and engaging part of the game. If it goes off without a hitch and the only table time it takes up is the all of 4 seconds it takes to say "and you get there", nobody is going to remember that. If there's some kind of tense or interesting moment during the trip though that's what makes it memorable, giving the idea chance to actually live & breathe in an interactive space is rewarding the idea: Getting game content that is an immediate and direct result of player initiative.

That said something like con saves vs sickness are really lame. Whatever happens shouldn't be a single save vs a debuff it should be something interactive and unique.

It also doesn't have to be negative. There are more ways to give the players something interactive with than hindering them, though that is a good way to do so. You can use positive events to call attention to the journey as well. Maybe they run into or fly over interesting enough that they have to weight looking into that rather than blitzing on to the main journey.

You could also do something relatively neutral from a goals perspective. For example: Maybe they pass through some magic anomaly that goes unnoticed by the druid, but sends the folks in the dimensional void on a trippy adventure. Not a particular risky one but one with weird imagery and wacky NPCs. It doesn't delay them because the whole affair takes all of 3 seconds of "Real Time" despite how long it seems to those in the hole. The druid player gets to invent their own NPC to play for the duration of the side-event.

stenver
2015-10-17, 11:37 AM
Having encounters & complications really shouldn't be seen as punishment, it should be seen as making the idea a real and interactive part of the game. Sure, from an in-universe perspective sure it's better everything go smoothly and that no complications or conflicts ever happen and you achieve all your goals with no risk and minimal effort. That doesn't make for a engaging game or story though.

If it's "You get in your giant eagle basket, and you get there: Next Scene!" the whole affair is effectively not part of the game. It interacts with gameplay in no meaningful sense, and the story in only the least substantive way basically just acting as screen fade between scenes. It's no different than saying "You can teleportation spell and get there" or "You just get there, we can ignore how entirely. It don't matter."

This might be fine I guess for something like mundane wagon ride, most of your overnight camping and other stuff that's kind of ordinary and well-trodden. This is really outlandish and unsual though, it's the sort of idea that deserves to actually be a memorable and engaging part of the game. If it goes off without a hitch and the only table time it takes up is the all of 4 seconds it takes to say "and you get there", nobody is going to remember that. If there's some kind of tense or interesting moment during the trip though that's what makes it memorable, giving the idea chance to actually live & breathe in an interactive space is rewarding the idea: Getting game content that is an immediate and direct result of player initiative.

That said something like con saves vs sickness are really lame. Whatever happens shouldn't be a single save vs a debuff it should be something interactive and unique.

It also doesn't have to be negative. There are more ways to give the players something interactive with than hindering them, though that is a good way to do so. You can use positive events to call attention to the journey as well. Maybe they run into or fly over interesting enough that they have to weight looking into that rather than blitzing on to the main journey.

You could also do something relatively neutral from a goals perspective. For example: Maybe they pass through some magic anomaly that goes unnoticed by the druid, but sends the folks in the dimensional void on a trippy adventure. Not a particular risky one but one with weird imagery and wacky NPCs. It doesn't delay them because the whole affair takes all of 3 seconds of "Real Time" despite how long it seems to those in the hole. The druid player gets to invent their own NPC to play for the duration of the side-event.

Yes! I agree with everything you mentioned. Thats exactly what i am looking for - memorable encounters in mid-air. Shoot me those ideas people :)

JoeJ
2015-10-17, 11:45 AM
Yes! I agree with everything you mentioned. Thats exactly what i am looking for - memorable encounters in mid-air. Shoot me those ideas people :)

Cloud kingdoms. Some clouds are solid and they are inhabited by giants, aarakocra, dragons, djinn, winged elves, or whatever else seems cool. They generally interact only with each other, so most groundlings don't even know they exist. Maybe a couple of them are at war and any strangers flying through their territory will be intercepted. This could result either in combat or in a tense diplomatic exchange to try and get permission to continue.

Shaofoo
2015-10-17, 11:53 AM

Sorry but I don't think random people from the internet can help you out there much.

The only person that can make memorable encounters is you because you know the characters, world and story. We can't help you make a memorable encounter because that is all on you. What is memorable to people can vary and what is memorable to you might be lame for me and vice versa.

You want a random idea? Have the party violate no fly rules while flying overhead a city, they are grounded and detained but eventually they get out either as a favor for the king or the resistance fighters wanting to overthrow said king.

Maybe have the druid pass a magical forest overhead and the call of the wild is too strong for him to resist and the party is now forced to adventure there.

Another thing is probably have them stumble upon a magic cloud kingdom, they don't have to stop there but they know it exists.

But you shouldn't do anything negative too soon because that can be seen as punishment for thinking outside the box, players do resent that their clever plan gets foiled due to apparent DM fiat.

The players should have also studied the risks of flying as well, flying creatures attacking in mid air should be documented and accessible to educated PCs. Warn them of any potential threats that might arise as they fly.

Mr.Moron
2015-10-17, 11:55 AM
Cloud kingdoms. Some clouds are solid and they are inhabited by giants, aarakocra, dragons, djinn, winged elves, or whatever else seems cool. They generally interact only with each other, so most groundlings don't even know they exist. Maybe a couple of them are at war and any strangers flying through their territory will be intercepted. This could result either in combat or in a tense diplomatic exchange to try and get permission to continue.

You could also wind "Clipping Through" the invisibility magic around an ancient flying kingdom you know the Zeal (http://pre01.deviantart.net/6928/th/pre/f/2011/162/d/4/zeal_by_lcaico-d3imsgr.jpg)kind of thing. Though in this case the kingdom has been fallen for ages, and the grand castle & city are ruins. The magic keeping the place flying and invisible however, are still working. The druid can easily see humanoids scurrying about on the surface of the island.

Shining Wrath
2015-10-17, 01:10 PM
What lives in the sky?

Cloud giants, air elementals, avian folk, storm giants, and flying pirates in airships. For a minimum.

Lost kingdoms that escaped their enemies by going vertical (Spock outsmarts Khan!).

Sigreid
2015-10-17, 02:09 PM
Given that a mid air encounter would mostly leave the Druid as the participant, and if the druid's giant eagle form gets killed they all wind up falling towards the ground, I don't think it's that hard. Another territorial eagle, a Chimera etc. can easily drive home that this is actually potentially a very dangerous way to travel.

Daishain
2015-10-17, 09:05 PM
Having encounters & complications really shouldn't be seen as punishment, it should be seen as making the idea a real and interactive part of the game.
The purpose of the quoted statement in question was simply to discourage throwing so many problems their way that they have strong incentive to give up on the idea. I was encouraging moderation, not advocating a perfectly smooth flight.

Mr.Moron
2015-10-17, 09:17 PM
The purpose of the quoted statement in question was simply to discourage throwing so many problems their way that they have strong incentive to give up on the idea. I was encouraging moderation, not advocating a perfectly smooth flight.

Didn't mean to imply you were saying that, though in hindsight I can see how I did. I guess the last line was just a an opportunity for me to go off on the concept of GM punishment. Frequently the conversation gets skewed so hard about avoiding even the phantom of a possibility of negative play experience tons of good space is being walled off. So often it seems when it comes to player ideas the GM didn't strictly plan for, any reaction short of a ticker tape parade is "punishment".

Taejang
2015-10-17, 11:09 PM
Now, how can I make their trip harder?

Here is what I have thought of so far -
They are flying in cold north - have them roll constitution to avoid getting sick - its cold air out there after all, blowing in from the hole
Have giant bird predators attack them in mid-air. See how can they handle this encounter.

Any other ideas?
Firstly, that's a sweet set up they have there. Totally going to remember that.

I don't like the constitution throw. I do like the predators attacking them, but from a gameplay perspective that's going to be awfully difficult to pull off without killing the party. It would probably be better to plan an encounter for when the party lands (druid Wild Shape doesn't last forever, and even if it did, the druid would still get tired). If you really want a sweet air encounter, you need to go into it from the perspective of "how can I endanger the giant eagle without killing it." It is basically a single-character encounter, and if the party can think up a way to assist their ally while still in the portable hole, kudos to them.

Stirges may be fun (if it fits the circumstances). Harpies, aarakocra, a mundane hunter NPC armed with a longbow, a witch on a broom...

Ardantis
2015-10-17, 11:19 PM
Love it. LOVE IT

oxybe
2015-10-18, 02:03 AM
Only if you have them encounter gnollish sky banditspirates (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZtTjMRxWRM).

JoeJ
2015-10-18, 02:08 AM
Gnome fighter aces flying biplanes. (http://www.amazon.com/Ballista-Creature-Crucible-Accessory-Dungeons/dp/0880387742)

Hawkstar
2015-10-18, 03:58 AM
Helorcopters - Orcs who fly by spinning giant double-ended axes above their heads.

The constitution save idea is just awful because:
1. Disease and virus are not spread by cold air, at all. What causes 'colds' to spread in winter is being locked up in close confines with very little ventilation for weeks on end.
2. The party's probably inoculated against anything they're already carrying,

Mara
2015-10-18, 04:36 AM
All you need is threats to drive the party to ground or a thief to steal the portable hole.

Otherwise let them fly unless you have ways to make the campaign more engaging by preventing flight in an engaging way.

stenver
2015-10-18, 05:58 AM
Those of you giving me ideas on how to stop this way of travel - thats notwhat i want to do at all. Thats boring and i love that they think outside of the box.

Please go read mr. Moron post - he explains it perfectly - i want to make it memorable. Cloud kingdoms and helicopters are awesome ideas

JAL_1138
2015-10-18, 07:13 AM
Sooner or later, the Druid's wildshape or Shapechange spell wears off and they have to land, yes? I'm AFB and don't recall. Wild Shape may last until the HP is depleted or something, in which case you'd have to figure something else. Check the PHB and see how long the method being used to turn into a giant eagle lasts. When they land, it's much easier to throw an encounter at them, since they'll all have room to fight or talk or whatever the encounter involves.

If nothing else, even eagles gotta sleep sometime.

So they land someplace strange, and encounter something unusual, both the location and the encounter being stuff they'd have never found if they were travelling on foot instead of by eagle.

StechusKaktus
2015-10-18, 07:32 AM
Hey,

I like the classics, makes you think back to good movies or books. So I'd have them be attacked by a big bird, maybe two if necessary. Take the basket and bring it to some cloud island where they have their nest. After they arrive the birds leave in search for food or so, leaving time for the guys in the basket to explore the island and the druid to come back and rejoin them. Have there be some kind of small adventure in the clouds or let them leave right away if they want. Maybe some old storm giant lives there (peaceful) have him spout some cryptic knowledge about their future and then turn around and go to sleep again.
This sounds so clichee and standart but I like it, I can see it in my head and it has so many memories attached that I like it :P

Also don't worry about the basket, if it drops and the other birds or your druid can't catch it, still nothing would happen. They are in another dimension. Smacking town the opening of a balloon on your table won't do anything to the egg in the baloon. But they might not know that, so it makes for an even better story if it falls and they think they are gonna die. you could even take a quick bathroom break when that happens. But I'm mean so, ... you decide.

Regards
Me

Wartex1
2015-10-18, 09:09 AM
If they're flying to a particularly militant country or region, you could always have them targeted by ballistae. Maybe they're violating a neighboring nation's airspace with this method of travel and unless they land immediately to go through customs, they'll be shot by giant arrows.

Of course, you'd make attack rolls for the ballistae, and a hit would probably force a rough landing, so the druid would take a bit of damage, everyone else would a bit less damage, but they'd have to travel by foot the rest of the way.

If they can't use magic or something to communicate the "Land or be shot with extreme prejudice", then have them use flags or something to signal it. Maybe the druid could make a History check to determine its meaning or have one of the others make the check at a disadvantage (as the druid has to relay what the flag looks like).

Shining Wrath
2015-10-18, 09:11 AM
Firstly, that's a sweet set up they have there. Totally going to remember that.

I don't like the constitution throw. I do like the predators attacking them, but from a gameplay perspective that's going to be awfully difficult to pull off without killing the party. It would probably be better to plan an encounter for when the party lands (druid Wild Shape doesn't last forever, and even if it did, the druid would still get tired). If you really want a sweet air encounter, you need to go into it from the perspective of "how can I endanger the giant eagle without killing it." It is basically a single-character encounter, and if the party can think up a way to assist their ally while still in the portable hole, kudos to them.

Stirges may be fun (if it fits the circumstances). Harpies, aarakocra, a mundane hunter NPC armed with a longbow, a witch on a broom...

If it's hard to pull off without killing the party ... in a world where things like Giant Eagles are not unknown, to say nothing of dragons ... then it's really not a good idea for the party (in-game) to do this, and in-game a warning shot across the bow is appropriate.

Kender. Flying Kender that steal the basket.

Temperjoke
2015-10-18, 09:22 AM
Rolling for disease saves isn't good, but what about the unexpected air sickness? You also can't forget to take into account the usual effect of cold climates on players, especially when they're up in the sky, they do need to make checks for exhaustion, especially the druid that's flying since he's exposed to the air directly. Another thing to consider, the dangers that they're trying to avoid by taking this route, would they be able to do anything against a giant eagle? For that matter, would they take notice of a giant eagle carrying a basket? Unless they're flying high enough to not be seen, which brings in high altitude rules, someone might see them and start shooting arrows from the ground.

One thing I'm curious about, are the players going to be able to communicate with the druid? I mean, otherwise it's going to be the druid making all the travel decisions. That means that you can put things to distract the druid in the path, things the character would be interested in for example.

Ooh, what if another air predator steals the basket and takes it back to it's lair? The players inside wouldn't know off hand that something was the matter.

Ardantis
2015-10-18, 10:19 AM
Hey,

I like the classics, makes you think back to good movies or books. So I'd have them be attacked by a big bird, maybe two if necessary. Take the basket and bring it to some cloud island where they have their nest. After they arrive the birds leave in search for food or so, leaving time for the guys in the basket to explore the island and the druid to come back and rejoin them. Have there be some kind of small adventure in the clouds or let them leave right away if they want. Maybe some old storm giant lives there (peaceful) have him spout some cryptic knowledge about their future and then turn around and go to sleep again.
This sounds so clichee and standart but I like it, I can see it in my head and it has so many memories attached that I like it :P

Also don't worry about the basket, if it drops and the other birds or your druid can't catch it, still nothing would happen. They are in another dimension. Smacking town the opening of a balloon on your table won't do anything to the egg in the baloon. But they might not know that, so it makes for an even better story if it falls and they think they are gonna die. you could even take a quick bathroom break when that happens. But I'm mean so, ... you decide.

Regards
Me

"When age fell upon the world, and wonder went out of the minds of men; when grey cities reared to smoky skies tall towers grim and ugly, in whose shadow none might dream of the sun or of Spring's flowering meads; when learning stripped the Earth of her mantle of beauty and poets sang no more of twisted phantoms seen with bleared and inward looking eyes; when these things had come to pass, and childish hopes had gone forever, there was a man who traveled out of life on a quest into spaces whither the world's dreams had fled.

Of the name and abode of this man little is written, for they were of the waking world only; yet it is said that both were obscure. It is enough to say that he dwelt in a city of high walls where sterile twilight reigned, that he toiled all day among shadow and turmoil, coming home at evening to a room whose one window opened not to open fields and groves but on to a dim court where other windows stared in dull despair. From that casement one might see only walls and windows, except sometimes when one leaned so far out and peered at the small stars that passed. And because mere walls and windows must soon drive a man to madness who dreams and reads much, the dweller in that room used night after night to lean out and peer aloft to glimpse some fragment of things beyond the waking world and the tall cities. After years he began to call the slow sailing stars by name, and to follow them in fancy when they glided regretfully out of sight; till at length his vision opened to many secret vistas whose existance no common eye suspected. And one night a mighty gulf was bridged, and the dream haunted skies swelled down to the lonely watcher's window to merge with the close air of his room and to make him a part of their fabulous wonder.

There came to that room wild streams of violet midnight glittering with dust of gold, vortices of dust and fire, swirling out of the ultimate spaces and heavy perfumes from beyond the worlds. Opiate oceans poured there, litten by suns that the eye may never behold and having in their whirlpools strange dolphins and sea-nymphs of unrememberable depths. Noiseless infinity eddied around the dreamer and wafted him away without touching the body that leaned stiffly from the lonely window; and for days not counted in men's calandars the tides of far spheres that bore him gently to join the course of other cycles that tenderly left him sleeping on a green sunrise shore, a green shore fragrant with lotus blossums and starred by red camalotes..."

H.P. Lovecraft

Dalebert
2015-10-18, 10:41 AM

I want to play in your games!

One thing I'm curious about, are the players going to be able to communicate with the druid? I mean, otherwise it's going to be the druid making all the travel decisions. That means that you can put things to distract the druid in the path, things the character would be interested in for example.

There's an opening into the portable hole. They could presumably shout out. Even if you say it's too windy to hear shouting, a message cantrip could address that. But they can't see where they're going to express any opinions on it and the druid can't communicate back so it may be moot.

StechusKaktus
2015-10-18, 10:49 AM
H.P. Lovecraft

Sounds pretty, aside from that I don't really understand it. I'm no good with poetry in German, throw English in the mix and I'm totally lost. Do you mean to say I shouldn't use that weird physics logic cuz it robs us of the magic that is the dnd world?
mhh I was only trying to give options, if you want, have em die from the fall! I just thought maybe give them a scare if it comes to that and still have a way out if you don't wanna have em die xD

on another note, I like the idea of a foreign border. Nothing is more exciting then going through customs xD and you wouldn't need to inject much dnd into the scene, the people in real customs behave like trolls most of the time anyway. (no offence to anyone)

Regards
Me

Ardantis
2015-10-18, 07:36 PM
No, it's just my favorite example of trippy dream visions in literature.

Or is it just a vision?

That's the kind of side quest I want.

GorinichSerpant
2015-10-18, 09:50 PM
The ideas that come to my mind are:

You could have giant sky whales or turtles peacefully floating in the sky above the clouds. A small creature might fall into the basket, some sort of fairy, a talking bird, what have you. Two storm giants could be fitting each other on the clouds, causing a storm below them. A storm giant is throwing lightning at people for fun. At higher altitudes you could see the stars up close, turns out they are some sort of entities that float above the world. They could stumble upon two dragons (or other beings that can fly) from opposite sides of a conflict having a secret love affair in the clouds.

beckyangelix
2015-10-21, 09:26 AM
This is hilarious. I love it when players get creative!

eastmabl
2015-10-21, 11:18 AM
Kender. Flying Kender that steal the basket.

This. Party gets most of the way there, but now they're in the middle of something difficult that will take a session or two to clear up.

Dalebert
2015-10-21, 11:29 AM
I summoned two giant owls and me and a party member rode them to fly over an enemy camp and scout it out. This worried my DM. He felt like it was too easy to be able to just summon flying mounts and wanted to discourage it. He said it should at least take some specially-made riding gear to keep from falling off. I can see that. Problem is, it wouldn't be that big a deal to go ahead and invest in something like that and strap it on to keep doing something like this. How do folks feel? Is he overly concerned? Is it a valid concern that we can fly too easily?

Forum Explorer
2015-10-21, 11:39 AM
Silver Dragon Wrymling falls into the hole, asking to be hid from a bunch of bullies (which can be whatever you want)

Hungry halflings riding petradons attack

Accidental Discovery of the kingdom's new flying warship. They aren't bad guys, but it is classified, so they want to take your party prisoner.

A mad wizard in a hot air balloon is trying to research evolution by throwing gerbils out of said hot air balloon.

Caught in a stampede of pegasi. (which is also creating a storm, or they are running from a storm. Or maybe even storm giants?)

The party resting in the hole keep hearing whispers and having weird reoccurring dreams.

kaoskonfety
2015-10-21, 12:37 PM
Impress upon them that if it goes wrong: it will go REALLY wrong. Giant eagles would not have many predators so this shouldn't be a serious issue *most* of the time. Not much else can slow them down (unless you have like Nazghoul flying around hunting for stuff?)

Past that "how do I keep travel interesting".
- Storms force them to land *things* happen
- Dragon(s)
- re-occuring villain tracks them down and forces a landing (with a storm?)
- cloud/Storm giants demand tribute/toll (and have a quest for the party when they cannot afford it as they are fair and generous - don't you DARE say otherwise)
- possible exploration encounters/descriptions of wonder/plot hooks (did that mountain move?, perhaps we should check that out - is that a dragon/giant/tarrasque carcass ripped into 4 parts and partially devoured? what happened here? - did that shooting star impact that hill over there? man that crater is big!)

The sky 'should' be relatively safe - don't drop the bag, don't rip the bag, don't 'forget' that bag of holding the player has on them, don't enter an area dead to magic... just make sure you warn them if things go wrong they will go VERY wrong.
Let it be a large benefit most of the time and have the one off hose job session (Everyone falls into a lake full of GIANT EELS! Turns out (after the fight) they were owned by a Storm Giant who is pissy you killed her eels and made a god awful mess in her lake (she's an eel farmer/breeder as a hobby) and as she is chewing you out and you are recovering from falling damage and eel bites *SOMEONE FORESHADOWED* catches up cause you know, not flying anymore... and just keep pouring on the madcap for a few hours of random-ish fun and EXP.

N810
2015-10-21, 12:53 PM
Unknown to the players, they awoke a being of pure shadow who dwelt in the portable hole. :smallcool:

Sigreid
2015-10-21, 01:01 PM
I'd just toss in enough threat the first trip to let them know it's not without risk. Let them figure out how often the risk is worth it. Also, the risks aren't all airborne. Who isn't going to be curious about the big bird carrying a basket? I am.

Shining Wrath
2015-10-21, 01:06 PM
I'd just toss in enough threat the first trip to let them know it's not without risk. Let them figure out how often the risk is worth it. Also, the risks aren't all airborne. Who isn't going to be curious about the big bird carrying a basket? I am.

Good point; TPK is to be avoided, but a shot across the bow letting them know terrible things can happen when you're all crammed into an extra-dimensional space being carried by a party member with low double digit HP is fair enough.

kaoskonfety
2015-10-21, 01:19 PM

HA! - other adventuring parties are indeed going to be KEENLY interested in investigating this, and any with the actual resources to do so almost certainly will make the attempt.

Or you know "Fireball, did it drop any loot?"

Sigreid
2015-10-21, 01:41 PM
HA! - other adventuring parties are indeed going to be KEENLY interested in investigating this, and any with the actual resources to do so almost certainly will make the attempt.

Or you know "Fireball, did it drop any loot?"

My wizard has something of a habit of using lightning bolt when curious about flying things.

kaoskonfety
2015-10-21, 01:46 PM
My wizard has something of a habit of using lightning bolt when curious about flying things.

Been way too long since I've gotten to play a wizard type, now I need to find a game to play in so I can just keep blasting whatever catches my curiosity...

stenver
2015-10-21, 02:25 PM
I can reveal you guys my current plans - these are my top candidates in no particular order of the next game. I will choose on the spot, whatever seems cool.

* A gnome in an helicopter flies over to the curios eagle and casts speak with animals on himself. He tries to buy the basket from the eagle in exchange for a large rabbit he has on him
* They spot a cloud kingdom. Its occupied by giants. If they are respectful, they can expect to trade there. If they are not, the giants attack and drive the small folk out of their domain.
* Hungry Air elementals appearing as clouds from the distance try to eat the party.
* Griffons defending their airspace
* Hungry Perytons attacking
* An another eagle tries to mate with the druid eagle

I have got some other ideas like hippogriffons, a wizard hunting for eagles, gnome pirates, Roc mother looking for revenge of his child(They killed a Roc just last session), wyvern riders hunting, but I will leave these ideas to future session.

Note that I ignored all recommendations to bring the players to the ground. It is beyond me why people suggest forcing to bring the party to the ground and make an encounter there. Nearly every encounter is on the ground. It would be a grand waste of an opportunity. Besides, the players need to land after every 8 hours of travel anyway, so its not like I need to force them to come to ground for that.

Taejang
2015-10-21, 02:30 PM
<stuff>

Besides, the players need to land after every 8 hours of travel anyway, so its not like I need to force them to come to ground for that.
Great ideas! Does Wild Shape last 8 hours? I was thinking it was less than that, but I'm away from the book right now.

stenver
2015-10-21, 02:33 PM
It lasts 4 hours(hours * ((druid level) / 2)), but druid can make 2 wild shape per short rest, so just enough for 8 hours :)

ruy343
2015-10-21, 02:39 PM
A raven sees something shiny in the basket, flies down, opens it, and pecks out the portable hole. What do the characters do while this is happening.

The eagle sees a dragon up ahead in the distance in the direction they were planning to travel.

During the course of your travels, you encounter a planar distortion that you wouldn't have been able to notice from the ground. Maybe it's a portal to another realm. Maybe it's an essential part of how the world works and gets air elemental energy. Maybe it's tied to the overall plot and serves as a reminder that their quest is important. Maybe, just maybe it's the fabric of the world falling apart to let the All-powerful Snarl out of its prison.

Something like that :)

stenver
2015-10-21, 02:43 PM
By the way - if you guys are interested, you can read about the game here:

https://forgottenhorrors.herokuapp.com/#Session1

Maybe you will get a few other cool ideas for your game. Note that it will take some time for the page to load all the images. You can navigate between sessions on the left and the newest sessions are at the top of the page.

Lvl 2 Expert
2015-10-21, 02:50 PM
Attacking the lone Giant Eagle is a horrible idea and could potentially lead to a TPK when the party can't assist the Giant Eagle because their only solid ground is a large bird.

I think it's a great idea. Improvising a way to land anything when dropped from anywhere is a great roleplaying opportunity, and between the portable hole, the basket and the bird there are enough moving parts on this one for cool solutions. Since the stuff in the hole does not weight anything they really don't need a lot of cloth for a good improvised parachute for instance. If the hole is folded in a way which allows air to come in, they should be able to stick a hand out. Now they'll wish there still was a use rope skill they could have maxed out for tying cloth to a basket one handed while plummeting.

It will also serve another purposes: it will make the players think about when flying is not appropriate. This means that the next time they want to sneak up on Sauron they'll realize he could easily spot them while they were flying, and they'll approach through some sort of cover providing terrain or disguise themselves as orcs instead. They might even choose to approach the all seeing tower as a wolf with a basket in its mouth.