PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cleric of Shar needed.

kkortekaas
2007-05-23, 10:13 AM
Greetings folks,
Now, a game was sprung on my for tonight (was scheduled for two weeks from now), and while I have most of my game plan laid out, the one thing that I hadn't gotten around too was the stating of the big bad. I'm in desperate need of a Level 4 Cleric of Shar for a game that is occurring this evening. This character will be the primary antagonist for a group of PC's.

Things of note:

- I don't care what Domains the Cleric has, as long as the conform to Shar's Domains.

- Consider the NPC to have roughly the average character wealth for a 4th level character.

- Stats, nothing too exotic, probably 3d6 flip lowest.

- He / She is the leader of a bandit gang that is operating out of the Hermit Wood in Cormyr. They have been raiding caravans capturing supplies and slaves for purposes unknown.

- This is actually my lead in for Tearing of the Weave, it will so happen that the Cleric captured the contact for Tearing of the Weave, and the PC's will free him.

- I don't care if I've gotta use spells or strength of arms to wack the crud out of my party but I need this NPC to have at least 1 Cleric level.

If anyone could provide me with one that'd be fantastic.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-23, 10:15 AM
do you need fluff or just crunch?

kkortekaas
2007-05-23, 10:20 AM
Crunch, but I'll take the fluff if you've got it.

Talya
2007-05-23, 10:34 AM
Obviously you want her to have the Shadowweave feat, it's standard for Shar's faithful. That also means you'll want her to stick to illusion, enchantment and necromancy for maximum effectiveness.

kkortekaas
2007-05-23, 10:36 AM
I'm curious to find out what gets tossed together.

kkortekaas
2007-05-24, 06:28 AM
Well, The group never got to a point that they could face the Cleric, so if it's still available, I'd love to see it

tarbrush
2007-05-24, 12:10 PM
This isn't really what you want, but it's a damn fine BBEG anyway.

The Twice Betrayer of Shar (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=478716)

SpiderBrigade
2007-05-24, 12:45 PM
This isn't really what you want, but it's a damn fine BBEG anyway.

The Twice Betrayer of Shar (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=478716)If by "Damn fine" you mean "will be disproportionately difficult to kill," then yes :smallbiggrin:

kkortekaas
2007-06-06, 09:42 AM
Okay, I'm probably breaking a rule, but I would really appreicate some help on the info below. (For the record I did post in the character builder thread and didn't hear so much as a whisper)

1. I was wondering if someone could assist me in creating a 4th level Cleric of Shar, hopefully with a level progression so I can tweak if needed.

Books: I've got access to the PHB 3.5, DMG, Races of the Wild, Races of Destiny, Races of Stone, The compelte 3.0 & 3.5 Forgotten Realms source book collection up until this date

Race: I'd prefer Human, but if you can swing in any of the other core races (those from the PHB) then by all means do so.

Class: As above, Cleric level 4, but if you want to dabble in something else by all means do so (I just need a level 4 antagonist)

Ability Scores: 3d6 Flip lowest (1 becomes 6), then place

Alignment: Doesn't matter

Concept: Sneaking and hiding are core to this concept, as is knowledge of nature and religion. Her mother is an elven priestess, while her father is a human scout. Prefer fighting with longsword and kukri, but not necessary.

Other: The Cleric of Shar, is going to be an antagonist for an upcoming adventure, and I don't expect him/her to survive (although I'd like to make my PC's pay a price when they bring him / her down)

The Cleric is commanding a group of bandits operating out of The Hermit Wood in South Eastern Cormyr (Forgotten Realms) and is raiding passing merchant traffic taking both Goods, and People. I'd like him to be somewhat optimized because I want him to be a pain to take down.

Expect average character wealth -10% and if he can afford it, he can own it. He's actually part of the Church that is involved in Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave, and this adventure serves to tie the group into the story line.

If you require additional info, Please let me know.

hewhosaysfish
2007-06-06, 11:06 AM
Race: I'd prefer Human,
[quote]
[quote]
Concept: Sneaking and hiding are core to this concept, as is knowledge of nature and religion. Her mother is an elven priestess, while her father is a human scout.

....???

Anyway, does Shar get the Trickery domain? I don't have the books but it's kind of in her ballpark and it would net you Hide as a class skill and Invisibility as a domain spell. As for the Move Silently, the whole bandit thing only really requires you so strike from ambush, rather than creep up behind anyone. I youcould just rely on a high Dex and not wear the full tin-can that most Clerics do.

Knowledge(religion) is a class for clerics but you only get Knowledge(nature) though the Animal, Knowledge or Plant domains and none of those are really Shar's thing. Nor is Travel for the Survival. Your best bet there might be a one or two level dip into Ranger. Ranger is a good banditty sort of class. It will give you a chance at the the Knowledge(Nature) and the survival (and the Move Silently) as well as supplying the proficiency with longswords and khukris. And if you take two levels you can pick up TWF for free.

Of Ranger levels don't boost your clerical casting but that's not the cardinal sin it would be if this were a PC: If you think you're losing something by not getting those higher levels spells, just tack on another couple of Cleric levels- no-one's counting.

Amiria
2007-06-06, 12:53 PM
Shar doesn't grant the Trickery Damain.

If you want to be rather sneaky with lots of skill points and Knowledge (Nature) as a class skill then be a Cloistered Cleric. No heavy amour then, just light armour and hopefully a good dex score. Maybe a Monk's Belt later.

A buffed up Cloistered Cleric is only slightly weaker melee than a standard cleric. He just relies more on spells for the extra punch.

Take the Able Learner feat (RoD). All cross-class skills also cost only one skill point per rank then.

Person_Man
2007-06-06, 01:36 PM
For anyone who is too lazy to Google Shar and look at the open source info on her:

Shar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shar_(goddess)) is the FR goddess of dark, night, loss, forgetfulness, unrevealed secrets, caverns, dungeons, and the Underdark. She's Neutral Evil. Her domains are Cavern, Darkness, Evil, and Knowledge.

For stats: Wis > Con > Cha > Dex > Str > Int.

For domains, I would suggest Darkness (free Blind-Fighting feat, access to Armor of Darkness spell) and Knowledge (lots of useful Divination spells, +1 CL on Divination, all Knowledge Skills as class Skills).

For race, it sounds like you want to be a half-elf, not a human. Half-elves are generally considered the weakest race, but they get access to the Sociable Personality feat, which rocks. Otherwise, human is your best choice for the bonus feat and Skill points.

For feats, I would suggest Blindsight 5' Radius (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/divineFeats.html), Sociable Personality, Extend Spell, and Silent Spell.

As a basic strategy, you should use your Divination spells to find out as much as you can about your enemies. Then use Diplomacy and Gather Information information Skills to manipulate circumstances to your benefit. (Frame your enemies, convince the town guard to arrest them, convince the king to give you a position of authority, convince your enemies that you're really their friend, gather incriminating evidence and then use it to blackmail people, etc). Sociable Personality allows you to re-roll any Diplomacy or Gather Information check, so with patience/circumstance bonuses (eg, use of Div spells), a decent Cha, and investment in those Skills, you'll almost never fail.

In combat, stay away from enemies.

Buy a Ring of Invisibility if you can. If not, cast Blacklight (Darkness domain) or Darkness and hide. Luckily, you'll have limited Blindsight, so darkness and invisible enemies won't have much of an effect on you. Summon monsters/undead to fight for you, or cast various area of effect spells that don't count as attacks (walls, Blade Barrier, etc) to control the battlefield and let your other party members do the heavy fighting. At higher levels, you can cast everything using Silent Spell, and you won't give away your position when casting while Invisible, so it'll be nearly impossible to target you.

dauphinous
2007-06-06, 02:00 PM
i recommend going human. Make that elf his adopted mother.

Skip the Knowledge domain. If it's a one-shot bad guy, go with Evil. Protection from Good at caster level 5 means it will last the whole encounter, even when prepped a minute ahead of the combat. Use a Desecrate, too, then summon some undead (Summon Undead from Libris Mortis, works just like Summon Monster, only calls undead. Just substitute 'skeleton' for whatever monster you'd ordinarily call, basically) in the Desecrated area after the fight starts. The material component for Desecrate sucks some gold away, too.

Spend some of the gold on one-shot magic items. That way you can give the bad guy nice stuff without worrying about the party getting their grubby paws on it. One-shot Spectral Hand (300gp) combined with Inflict means no walking up and taking the hits. One-Shot Mage Armor (50gp) means no worries about armor. Scroll of Cat's Grace (150gp) means actually hitting with ranged touch attacks (probably, anyway). Use them as you would prep spells.

Feats:
Spell Focus(conjuration) - for the save on Inflict
Necromantic Presence (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Necromantic_Presence,LM) - gives turn resistance +4 to all controlled undead within 60 feet
Fell Drain (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fell_Drain,LM) (metamagic) - use this on an Inflict Minor Wounds to make it a 2nd level spell that deals 1 point of damage and one negative energy level with no save.

Matthew
2007-06-07, 07:54 AM
Huh. Surprising this never appeared. How did this turn out? Did you manage to build a Cleric of Shar in time?

[Edit] Oh, I posted this in the Character Builder Thread. I hadn't realised it belonged to this Thread and was needed on such short notice. So, anybody got any different ideas as to how this might have been approached?

1. I was wondering if someone could assist me in creating a 4th level Cleric of Shar, hopefully with a level progression so I can tweak if needed.

(5,000 GP, 32 pts.)

Elven Female Cleric of Shar AB 3(6/7), AC 15, HP 21,
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Attributes: Strength 14, Dexterity 14, Constitution 10, Intelligence 14, Wisdom 15, Charisma 14,
Saves: Fortitude +6, Reflex +3, Willpower +6,
Feats: Stealthy, Point Blank Shot,
Skills: Observe 0(4), Listen 0(4), Search 1(5), Sneak 3(7), Hide 3(7), Knowledge Religion 7(9), Spell Craft 7(9),
Equipment: Leather Armour +1,* Long Sword +1 (1D8+3), Masterwork Dagger (1D4+2), Composite Long Bow for Strength +2, 20 Arrows +1 (1D8+4),

Domains: Evil, Darkness,
Prepared Spells: 5/4+1/3+1,

*A more heavily armoured variant would have Mail Armour +1 and a Heavy Shield to get AC 20.

Roland St. Jude
2007-06-09, 10:12 PM
Sheriff: I'm not sure why the OP started a second thread to ask the same question, but I've merged the two. Minor wierdness may have occurred during the merger.