PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Elemental Spell & Lingering Spell questions

thecrimsondawn
2015-10-17, 08:40 AM
Easy questions enough. Elemental spell changes one damage type into another "or" it does half base damage, half new element damage. By its wording, what would happen if you applied it more then once to the same spell?
Elemental Spell (Metamagic)

You can manipulate the elemental nature of your spells.

Benefit: Choose one energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may replace a spell’s normal damage with that energy type or split the spell’s damage, so that half is of that energy type and half is of its normal type.

Level Increase: +1 (an elemental spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.)

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you must choose a different energy type.

and Lingering spell. What are some good uses for this metamagic? Since there is nothing in pathfinder that I have seen that changes the size of the area of effect of a spell, rather only its operational range, I cant seem to come up with any good combos with it.

Psyren
2015-10-17, 11:40 AM
By its wording, what would happen if you applied it more then once to the same spell?

Nothing, because this is against the rules: "You can't apply the same metamagic feat more than once to a single spell."

You can take the feat more than once to gain additional energy types to choose from but a given spell will still only get one.

and Lingering spell. What are some good uses for this metamagic? Since there is nothing in pathfinder that I have seen that changes the size of the area of effect of a spell, rather only its operational range, I cant seem to come up with any good combos with it.

1) Widen Spell increases a spell's AoE actually.

2) Lingering Spell basically turns your instantaneous spells (usually blasting) into a form of light battlefield control; they continue to zap anyone who enters the area and if there is a visual aspect to the spell it acts like a fog that obscures or blocks line of sight. So you can fireball some mooks in a doorway and not only did you take them out, but the fireball toasts anyone else who tries to go through that doorway next round, and any archers back down the hall from you can't target your team anymore. Blocking line of sight for a round can be very useful as you can effectively use it to no-save-blind the entire enemy team from targeting your side.

You can also make clever use of it with non-blasting spells, like Lingering Prismatic Spray, Lingering Holy Word or Lingering Glitterdust. You have to be clever to make the one round worthwhile though.