PDA

View Full Version : Savage/Undead/Template/Racial Progressions

ekarney
2015-10-17, 08:40 AM
I've been reading and getting over my head again.
But to clarify:
Savage Progressions from SS: You gotta take ALL the levels in it, and they have to be the first levels you take.
Undead Progressions from LM: You don't have to take all the levels but at least take one (Or at least is varies between Undead)
Template Progressions: ???
Racial Progressions from Wizards online: You don't have to take any levels of some, but you have to take all levels of others?

I've managed to lose both pairs of glasses so reading the blocks of text in the books is really difficult to do, I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out.

OldTrees1
2015-10-17, 09:15 AM
I don't know what these "online racial progression" are but the online template progressions (the Savage Progressions articles on things like Ghost, Lich, Celestial/Half Celestial, Werewolf, ...) have the following:

You can multiclass in and out of them as you please.

For instance you could have a
Human Wizard 11 / Lich 1 / Wizard +2 / Lich +2 / Wizard +100 / Lich +1 / Wizard X

torrasque666
2015-10-17, 11:13 AM
The racial progressions are ways to get the race, but you lose out on approximately as much stuff as you have levels in the class. So the Feytouched Racial Class allows you to start as a Feytouched, but you lose approximately half of the stuff that feytouched grants.

ekarney
2015-10-18, 10:54 PM
The racial progressions are ways to get the race, but you lose out on approximately as much stuff as you have levels in the class. So the Feytouched Racial Class allows you to start as a Feytouched, but you lose approximately half of the stuff that feytouched grants.

But I'm not required to take any/all of the levels?

torrasque666
2015-10-18, 11:13 PM
But I'm not required to take any/all of the levels?
No. Continuing my example of Feytouched, you could take the watered down version of the race to only gain

+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, +2 Charisma.
Fey Type
Low-Light Vision (Ex)
+4 against [Mind-Affecting]

You could then take the level of Feytouched Racial Class to gain

Charm Person (Sp):
Immunity to [Mind-Affecting]
+2 to Hide, Move Silently

For what its worth, my group does rule that you can't take things that require the Race until you've completed the progression, but normally that's not required.

OldTrees1
2015-10-18, 11:17 PM

Link to these racial progressions? I only know of the Savage Progressions (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/sp)(the template classes) Oh they are the 2nd link. :smallredface:

Racial classes allow a player to create a 1st-level character of a level-adjusted race at the same power level as a 1st-level character of a standard race. Thereafter, the character can take levels in her racial class in order to gain her full complement of racial abilities. These racial class levels follow the normal rules for gaining levels in a template class.