PDA

View Full Version : Level 2 wealth

Sahegian
2007-05-23, 11:06 AM
What is standard wealth for a level 2 character? I'm at work and can't remember how much gold a level 2 fighter should have access to.

Ian
2007-05-23, 11:13 AM
Somewhere between 899gp and 901gp...

Sahegian
2007-05-23, 11:16 AM
Somewhere between 899gp and 901gp...

Hum, I was never very good at math. Could you clarify?:smallsigh:

Person_Man
2007-05-23, 11:22 AM
It's in the DMG. It's also closed content, so technically no one is supposed to post it.

Swooper
2007-05-23, 11:29 AM
I always wondered how the hell someone is supposed to gather that much by 2nd level. I mean, where does a group of 4 1st level characters gain 3600gp? They're propably not fighting anything much harder than [insert random CR0-1 humanoid here], and those are usually dirt poor. Also, who in their right mind would pay more than maybe a few hundred gp for some task that a group of 1st level characters can handle? I wouldn't. My richest character at 2nd level had around... 200-250gp at that point (which, incidentally, he's still at) and the DM was damn generous.

I'm not criticizing, I'm really just wondering. It doesn't add up! How do you gain that much cash in your first adventure?

brian c
2007-05-23, 11:44 AM
I always wondered how the hell someone is supposed to gather that much by 2nd level. I mean, where does a group of 4 1st level characters gain 3600gp? They're propably not fighting anything much harder than [insert random CR0-1 humanoid here], and those are usually dirt poor. Also, who in their right mind would pay more than maybe a few hundred gp for some task that a group of 1st level characters can handle? I wouldn't. My richest character at 2nd level had around... 200-250gp at that point (which, incidentally, he's still at) and the DM was damn generous.

I'm not criticizing, I'm really just wondering. It doesn't add up! How do you gain that much cash in your first adventure?

Well, that starting gold amount is including the cost of equipment (that is, it should be equivalent to items that you find while at first level), and includes starting gold from first level too.

Ulzgoroth
2007-05-23, 12:12 PM
Yes, equipment. If you find a Half-plate (wince) that's a big chunk of your WBL right there. Masterwork anything makes a sizable dent too.

Also, 'dirt poor' doesn't seem all that accurate. Do they have bows or crossbows? Even a secondhand shortbow can be sold for 15 gp, and other ranged weapons are better. Two level 1 orc warriors might be a CR1 encounter (if I'm doing this right?), but their starting gear is, by DMG, 3d4 x 10gp each. Probably scale mail and a two-handed weapon. Even on resale, that encounter nets you 75 gp average, some of it in half-price equipment you might use (and maybe a bit more, if not all of their wealth is in equipment).

...actually, that accumulates your level faster than your money, doesn't it? The party gets 4 times as much XP as gold, and need almost as much gold as XP.

Well, one easy way to even it out: Throw a level 1 orc fighter or barbarian at them occasionally. That's CR 1 and comes with 900gp of hardware+loot, but the same xp award. And the hardware is worth more than half price, since it's very likely to be better than the PC starting equipment.

EDIT: Could some wise person tell me where you find appropriate wealth for NPCs with NPC classes above level 1? Can't find it...

Talya
2007-05-23, 12:19 PM
It's in the DMG. It's also closed content, so technically no one is supposed to post it.

That's not true. You're prevented from posting the chart.

You're not prevented from answering a specific question such as "what's the starting wealth for level X?" If you were, no DM could ever give his players the starting wealth they required unless they had all purchased the DMG separately.

Mr the Geoff
2007-05-23, 12:26 PM
Well, they are wealth by level Guidelines not set in stone rules.

Also wealth by level assumes you are following the standard loot per encounter. For a party of 4 level 1 PCs you would generally defeat, say, 1 CR3 encounter, 3 CR2 encounters and 5 CR1 encounters before you level up. Looking at the dmg you should have netted over 4000gp worth of loot from that haul, maybe nearer 4500gp, some in gold and some from minor magic stuff like potions.

You'll have spent some of that on consumeables but you only need to rake in 3600gp after costs to hit the wealth by level guidelines.

If your DM has you on about 250gp one of 3 things has happened:

1: you got bonus xp without treasure to match it, maybe from good roleplaying
2: you raked in enough cash but didn't factor in that you blew most of it on staying in inns, restocking rations and ammunition etc.
3: you failed a search check and missed the poorly locked treasure chest

Or. like me, you have a DM that has been playing since 1st ed and does things his way, has a low magic setting and expects gold and magic stuff to be special, not handed out willy nilly

Matthew
2007-05-31, 08:49 PM
EDIT: Could some wise person tell me where you find appropriate wealth for NPCs with NPC classes above level 1? Can't find it...
It's on page 58 in my 3.0 DMG, I think, though that may only refer to NPCs with Adventurer Classes. Not sure.

Jasdoif
2007-05-31, 09:12 PM
EDIT: Could some wise person tell me where you find appropriate wealth for NPCs with NPC classes above level 1? Can't find it...Page 127 in the DMG lists the gear value for NPCs, including 1st level.

Matthew
2007-05-31, 09:22 PM
Is the range 900-220,000 or is it lower? Is it part of a particular section?

Jasdoif
2007-05-31, 09:25 PM
Is the range 900-220,000 or is it lower? Is it part of a particular section?It's a table right near the end of the chapter on NPCs, and that is the range of its values.

Matthew
2007-05-31, 09:27 PM
Cool, mine's a 3.0 DMG, as I said, so it's on page 58 for me (which is the end of the section on NPCs). I just wondered if they had changed it as well as moved it. Thanks.

PinkysBrain
2007-05-31, 09:28 PM
Page 127 in the DMG lists the gear value for NPCs, including 1st level.
Actually I don't think that's meant for NPCs with NPC classes because if you do that you can get low CR opponents with an absolutely huge amount of gear.

Matthew
2007-05-31, 09:30 PM
A good point, though my DMG specifically says that combat with NPCs will yield increased amounts of treasure... any other tables for NPC Classed NPCs (just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it)?

Jasdoif
2007-05-31, 10:21 PM
Actually I don't think that's meant for NPCs with NPC classes because if you do that you can get low CR opponents with an absolutely huge amount of gear.This is entirely possible, since the section on sample NPCs that references the table only includes PC classes; however there's nothing specifically on the wealth of NPC classes other then starting gold for 1st level. I would have to say that NPC classes use the same table.

Were I to guess, I'd say that particular table is for non-adventurers, who get far more gold then XP compared to their adventuring brethren and thus have more money at a given level. Also, I believe it was Shhalahr who pointed out that the table is gear by level, not wealth by level; presumably higher level NPCs have a lot of their money tied up in buildings, furniture, commodities and other things that aren't personal equipment.

TheOOB
2007-05-31, 10:36 PM
900gp is easy to reach by second level. Lets take a fighter

Masterwork Longsword (315 gp)
Composite Longbow(100 gp)
Breastplate(200 gp)
Heavy Steel Shield(20 gp)
2xPotion of Cure Light Wounds(100 gp)
2xTanglefoot Bag(100 gp)
65 gp worth of misc eq

Classes that don't need half their wealth in weapons and armor get scrolls and potions instead.