PDA

View Full Version : How best to carry books?

DreadArchon
2007-05-23, 11:09 AM
What's the best way to carry numerous books--say, 6 books and a small binder--while walking? I have a backpack, but it seems to be pretty hard on the bindings of the books, and I would like something a bit less damaging.

My current system, which is barely working, is plastic Wal*Mart bags, but I'd like something that can hold a couple more books.

Suggestions?

Penguinizer
2007-05-23, 11:12 AM
Maybe get one of those backpacks with a hard bottom. Or maybe one of those small suitcase things.

lillitheris
2007-05-23, 11:12 AM
I use a gym bag to carry my books in. It doesn't exert the same force as a book bag, keeping them all flat and nicely cared for. Granted, when I go to my games, I carry a few more books than that.

Why, oh, why don't they have more compilation books so I don't have to carry so many?

Sahegian
2007-05-23, 11:13 AM
Messenger bags seem to be a little less abusive on books in my experience, but they don't really manufacturer the books to last.

Another option is a laptop and pdf files. Its a lot lighter and if you already own the books it'd be hard to call it stealing.

Talya
2007-05-23, 11:14 AM
Scanner, Adobe Acrobat, DVD writer.

Indon
2007-05-23, 11:14 AM
I use the kind of backpack made for hiking. I find they generally expand well, in a nice book-shaped manner. I generally put cardboard or something into one section to function as backing, though.

Reinboom
2007-05-23, 11:18 AM
Scanner, Adobe Acrobat, DVD writer.

That's expensive :smallconfused:
and a hassle

I use either:
Sidebag, to carry about 4 books (PHB, DMG, and my main group's Complete Scoundrel and Spell Compendium)
Or!
A travelers case/bag. With the wheels. Putting cardboard pieces between books so they don't damage each other.

NEO|Phyte
2007-05-23, 11:19 AM
I'm using an old(10+ years) laptop bag, it holds the extent of my book collection nicely, with a velcro pocket for dice/M:tG decks

Person_Man
2007-05-23, 11:19 AM
Buy a car.

If a car isn't available, buy a scanner or get a job as a temp for a week and use the scanner in their office after your shift. Scan the pages you need, print them out, and put them into a character binder (or adventure binder).

If a scanner isn't available, talk to your friends. Coordinate on who brings what books. You usually don't need more then one copy of each.

If you game with jerks, buy a basket attachment for your bike.

If you don't have a car, a scanner, a job, friends, or a bike, I suggest suicide. Books are no longer a problem when you're dead.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-23, 11:28 AM
I just bring my laptop and a dvd with me. It covers's all my gaming needs.

And my books are now text searchable.

Mr the Geoff
2007-05-23, 12:37 PM
Hmm, I tend to use a car, but I have a 30-70 mile round trip to my game, depending on who's house it's at this week.

A little planning ahead means you don't need to double up. I only generally carry my PHB, PHB2 and DMG as these are the ones I tend to look stuff up from regularly.

I don't need to bring along the complete series, campaign specific stuff, monster manuals etc as I can generally borrow those when I am at the game from the person whos house we are using..

Talya
2007-05-23, 12:43 PM
That's expensive :smallconfused:
and a hassle

Not if you already have them.

Nothing quite so handy as having an entire library of D&D books available at the click of a mouse button.

Piccamo
2007-05-23, 12:51 PM
Not if you already have them.

Nothing quite so handy as having an entire library of D&D books available at the click of a mouse button.

My name is Piccamo and I approve this message.

elliott20
2007-05-23, 01:05 PM
or hell, if you got enough techy toys, have all of your books on your PDA.

Dizlag
2007-05-23, 01:14 PM
I can carry about 5-6 books in something like this (http://www.bagking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BagKing/PROD/07-02-02/716O) without a problem. Plus, I put my character sheets in a pocket folder. I'm old school ... no PCs at the gaming table, just a good old piece of paper and a pencil. :smallbiggrin:

Dizlag

elliott20
2007-05-23, 01:20 PM
there is one more thing though: it just feels nice to be able to flip through a book. I don't know why, but the books are just so much more fun to flip through.

Telonius
2007-05-23, 01:25 PM
there is one more thing though: it just feels nice to be able to flip through a book. I don't know why, but the books are just so much more fun to flip through.

Yeah, computer chips are much harder on the fingertips. :smallbiggrin:

Mr Croup
2007-05-23, 01:31 PM
I'd say that depending on how much you're willing to spend, an old hard case briefcase, a laptop bag with a padded interior, or a hard case backpack (like a motorcycle bag) would be your best bets.

Having either a hard exterior or padded interior will cut down on some of the wear and tear on books that they get from the bag itself being banged around. Also, if they are in a rigid case that doesn't flex, or snug inside the interior padding, they won't be able to move inside it as much with one side of the cover being stretched in one direction, and the other in the opposite, if that makes any sense. That'll definitely cut down on the damage as well.

Also, pay attention to how you are taking the books out of the bag, and how you're putting them in. If you reach in, grab a cover and pull it out by that, you're probably doing more damage that way than it just jostling around inside the bag. Same goes for if you're cramming them in.

Probably you're cheapest alternative would to go to a large fabric store where you can find large pieces of open cell foam, the type used for sofa cushions and the like. It's usually very inexpensive, so buy a large piece, cut it down so you can make inserts for your existing bag. Place one on the bottom of the bag, and one on each side. You can even grab some thinner foam, or cut thinner segments out of the larger piece to lay between each of the books. It'll add to the over all bulk of your bag, but it'll be like wrapping them in pillows, effectively.

cogross
2007-05-23, 03:11 PM
A bag of holding, of course! (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/88b9/)
I just use a backpack, and my books are OK.