PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Questions about reforged

PureChaosDI
2015-10-17, 12:56 PM
So, i'm currently playing a campaign as a warforged ranger and realised that reforged is something that i can aim for.

But i'm confused about level tree of the Reforged class.

What does the final reforging en-tale? races of eberron says " You lose any warforged feats
you possess" does that include the immunities and slam attack? or would i just loose my mithral body feat?

Also what is the process of reforging? or is it DM's discretion?

Thanks for answering my dumb questions :P

torrasque666
2015-10-17, 01:27 PM
For reference:

Final Reforging: Also at 3rd level, you undergo a dramatic physical transformation, often described as a reforging or birth. You lose any warforged feats you possess, undergoing a consistent physical change (losing any composite plating, armor spikes, metal tracery, and so forth) and losing the ability to use warforged components (any components you have installed are automatically detached). In exchange, you gain an equal number of bonus feats in place of the lost feats, and gain Unarmored Body as an additional bonus feat (ignoring the 1st level only prerequisite; see page 120). You can choose any feats you qualify for as your new feats.

So lets look at this bit by bit.

You lose any warforged feats you possess, undergoing a consistent physical change (losing any composite plating, armor spikes, metal tracery, and so forth)
This is in reference to the fact that many, but not all, [Warforged] feats are actual physical changes to the Warforged. So any of the 19 (technically 20 but I'll cover that in a bit) 1st party published feats that are in the category of [Warforged] (like [Shifter], [Metamagic], [Fighter Bonus Feat], etc.) that someone who reaches Reforged 3 has are lost. In exchange you get Unarmored Body for free (which is why I didn't include it in the 20 despite being a [Warforged] feat) and replace the lost feats with any other feats you qualify for. If all you have is Mithril Body, then you get just replace that, chosing 1 feat to do so. If you had Mithril Body, Jaws of Death, Second Slam and Shocking Fist, then you would chose 4 feats to replace the lost feats with.

and losing the ability to use warforged components (any components you have installed are automatically detached).
Simple and straight forward. Any Warforged Components (like a Battlefist, a Docent, a Behemoth Belt) that a Reforged may have had equipped no longer work (and any embedded component pops out).

You actually don't lose your immunities, as those are part of the Living Construct subtype and Reforged doesn't change that, or your slam attack.

As for "Reforging", it happens however the DM determines Leveling Up does. If the DM has Leveling Up take a week or so, likely to represent training of the new skills and abilities, then during that time frame you would likely be involved in somehow stripping yourself of your physical features. If it takes place instantaneously (per RAW), then they all just magically pop off. (I would probably imagine this as some sort of magical explosion with the new form emerging unharmed)

Long story short, the only mechanical effects are the loss of [Warforged] feats, and loss of the ability to use Warforged Components. Everything else is fluff, to be shaped at your whim (well, the DM's whim kinda, but that's a different topic)

PureChaosDI
2015-10-18, 04:37 AM
You actually don't lose your immunities, as those are part of the Living Construct subtype and Reforged doesn't change that, or your slam attack.

As for "Reforging", it happens however the DM determines Leveling Up does.

Thank you!

I've been looking for a simple English explanation of this for a few days now, I've been struggling because I guess I didn't understand that these things came from the construct subtype and not from other areas. I viewed them as racial feats and wasn't sure if they counted.

So can I pick up warforged feats after the fact? so say i get to reforging and next level i get an extra feat, could i pick up "Improved fortification" could i?
and would that stop natural healing, or just magical healing? because that seems like it would break the game ever so slightly.