PDA

View Full Version : Hitting opponent with their light weapon during a grapple... "Light" for who?

Windrammer
2015-10-17, 01:57 PM
I'm a large character that grapples on occasion.

In a grapple, you can hit a character with their own weapon if it's light, with a -4 penalty.

Thing is, a medium character's longsword is basically a light weapon for me. So in relation to who does the weapon have to be light?

Is it an issue of weight for the character that's doing the grapple, or is it an issue of size for the constraints of space during a grapple?

If the issue isn't space I don't see why a large character wouldn't be able to hit someone with their own longsword in a grapple.

2015-10-17, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure what the RAW on this is, mostly because the grapple rules are a convoluted mess IMO. If I were DMing it, I'd say that you can make an opponent hit themselves with their own weapon if that weapon is a light weapon for you. This is realistic no matter the size of the grapplers, although I'm not sure how fair and balanced it would be.

Windrammer
2015-10-17, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure what the RAW on this is, mostly because the grapple rules are a convoluted mess IMO. If I were DMing it, I'd say that you can make an opponent hit themselves with their own weapon if that weapon is a light weapon for you. This is realistic no matter the size of the grapplers, although I'm not sure how fair and balanced it would be.

It would be an act of flavor more than anything. It's a lot more effective for me to just hit them, but I do disproportionate damage for the level we're at so I'm just trying to figure new things to do in combat that aren't just cleaving one guy after the other.

2015-10-17, 02:39 PM
It would be an act of flavor more than anything. It's a lot more effective for me to just hit them, but I do disproportionate damage for the level we're at so I'm just trying to figure new things to do in combat that aren't just cleaving one guy after the other.

If you're looking for a RAW answer, the RAW Q&A thread can probably find the answer better than I can; those guys really put the .... in analysis.

Windrammer
2015-10-17, 03:02 PM
If you're looking for a RAW answer, the RAW Q&A thread can probably find the answer better than I can; those guys really put the .... in analysis.

I didn't realize what that thread was until now... I posted there. Thank you.

2015-10-17, 03:11 PM
I didn't realize what that thread was until now... I posted there. Thank you.

No problem; always happy to help out.