PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Yuan-Ti Pureblood

RavenJovan
2015-10-17, 03:46 PM
I apologize for not making a formal request for comments, of which I would love to hear. I realize that the races are very likely OP, as such I'd like a way to limit them so that they are balanced but still beneficial and fun to run for myself and my players.

I'd like to think this complete but by all means judge away.

Yuan-Ti Pureblood

Medium humanoid (yuan -ti)
Speed: 30ft.
Racial Traits: +1 to Intelligence, +2 to Charisma
Tool Proficiencies: Poisoner’s Kit
Damage Immunities: poison
Damage Vulnerabilities: cold
Condition Immunities: poisoned
Senses: darkvision 60ft.
Languages: Common, Draconic

Innate Spellcasting: The yuan-ti's spellcasting ability is Charisma. The yuan-ti can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: animal friendship (snakes only), poison spray
Once per short or long rest at 3rd level: suggestion

Gnomes2169
2015-10-19, 09:16 PM
I actually made a pure blood character for one of my players, so my tips here are: 1) Give them proficiency in deception instead of a flat bonus and cut out the other skills.

2) Cut the magic resistance for now (at least), and only give them the poison spray cantrip and animal friendship (snakes only) from their spellcasting abilities at the base. Giving them magic resistance and the rest of their spellcasting abilities 1/day from a feat would be able to reintroduce what is missing, but magic resistance and advanced spellcasting are too potent for PCs to get for free on top of a skill proficiency, immunity to poison (an incredibly common danger in dungeons) and some base spellcasting.

In the same vein, you could probably handle the transformation into a Yuan-ti Malaison or Abomination with a feat or two.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-21, 07:01 AM
I actually made a pure blood character for one of my players, so my tips here are: 1) Give them proficiency in deception instead of a flat bonus and cut out the other skills.

2) Cut the magic resistance for now (at least), and only give them the poison spray cantrip and animal friendship (snakes only) from their spellcasting abilities at the base. Giving them magic resistance and the rest of their spellcasting abilities 1/day from a feat would be able to reintroduce what is missing, but magic resistance and advanced spellcasting are too potent for PCs to get for free on top of a skill proficiency, immunity to poison (an incredibly common danger in dungeons) and some base spellcasting.

In the same vein, you could probably handle the transformation into a Yuan-ti Malaison or Abomination with a feat or two.

Just thought I'd weigh in. Everything gnomes says is right, and just to highlight it...

Tiefling (PHB 43)
Yuan-Ti Pureblood (RavenJovan)

+2 Cha, +1 Int
+2 Cha, +1 Int

30ft. movement
30ft. movement

60ft. Darkvision
60ft. Darkvision

Resistance to Fire damage
Immunity to Poison damage and Poisoned condition

1/3/5 Casting
(Approximately) 1/3/5 Casting, except you get all of them at level 1

2 Languages
3 Languages

Crippling inferiority complex?
2 Weapon proficiencies
3 Skill proficiencies, 1 with expertise
1 Tool proficiency
Magic Resistance?!

Methusala
2015-10-21, 02:13 PM
Just thought I'd weigh in. Everything gnomes says is right, and just to highlight it...

Tiefling (PHB 43)
Yuan-Ti Pureblood (RavenJovan)

+2 Cha, +1 Int
+2 Cha, +1 Int

30ft. movement
30ft. movement

60ft. Darkvision
60ft. Darkvision

Resistance to Fire damage
Immunity to Poison damage and Poisoned condition

1/3/5 Casting
(Approximately) 1/3/5 Casting, except you get all of them at level 1

2 Languages
3 Languages

Crippling inferiority complex?
2 Weapon proficiencies
3 Skill proficiencies, 1 with expertise
1 Tool proficiency
Magic Resistance?!

I think it balances out with the natural enemies? i mean, everyone hates snakes, except orcs and bad things that will probably rob them anyways.

Maybe refining the social aspect could benefit the tieflings? i mean, nobody trusts snakes!

Ninja_Prawn
2015-10-21, 02:49 PM
nobody trusts snakes!

While everyone loves devil-spawn. Yes, it makes perfect sense now.

Methusala
2015-10-21, 06:22 PM

Are you saying he broke the rules? are you saying they are too powerful? it would seem so to me too, but i was just trying to back up a fellow fantasy nut.

Korasyl
2015-10-22, 06:01 PM
Just here to throw in my own bit of constructive criticism.

I do agree with pretty much all of the topics and changes.
(Plus, the Inferiority Complex caught me off guard, because it was brutally accurate. :P)

But I do have a few tweaks I think would be beneficial, in my own opinion anyway:

MAGIC RESISTANCE:
Granted, the custom race that I had created had magical immunity, but it imposed a VERY crippling weakness. Not only are they vulnerable to non-magical Blunt, Piercing, and Slashing, but they gain a large disadvantage when it comes to Strength and Constitution checks and ability scores.

Having Magic Resistance can be a POSSIBILITY, but everything must have an opposite.
I would say, since their Yuan-Ti (FutherMucking Snakes~) that they should be vulnerable to at least a few types of elemental damage. Cold is a good one, I think, since snakes are naturally cold-blooded?

Korasyl
2015-10-22, 06:04 PM
P.S. Ain't nothing wrong with the Scalies! <3

RavenJovan
2015-10-22, 06:05 PM

I made the edits like you suggested, cutting out a lot; I considered the elevation part but I don't think I'm going to add that in, thanks though.

Cassious
2015-10-24, 09:23 PM
I made the edits like you suggested, cutting out a lot; I considered the elevation part but I don't think I'm going to add that in, thanks though.

Incidentally I have just been homebrewing a playable Yuan-Ti pureblood race as well (how I found this thread actually). My final draft looks pretty close to what you have currently.

An idea I had for balancing magic resistance is to make the Yuan Ti have a 50% failure chance on all incoming friendly spell. That would make magic resistance a significant double edged sword when the party wizards haste spell fizzed on you because you have too much magic resistance…

JNAProductions
2015-10-24, 09:29 PM
Not really. Buffing isn't nearly as big in 5E as it was in 3.X.

Cassious
2015-10-24, 10:28 PM
Not really. Buffing isn't nearly as big in 5E as it was in 3.X.

Good point, and obviously quite variable depending on party make up. I ended up dropping magic resistance all together in the end since it didn't feel worth the sacrifices needed to fit it into the race in a balanced fashion. Just mentioned it as I thought it quite a thematic drawback to go with magic resistance.

RavenJovan
2015-10-24, 10:30 PM
Good point, and obviously quite variable depending on party make up. I ended up dropping magic resistance all together in the end since it didn't feel worth the sacrifices needed to fit it into the race in a balanced fashion. Just mentioned it as I thought it quite a thematic drawback to go with magic resistance.

Keeping the magic resistance is indeed a pain, best to just be rid of it.:smallsmile: