PDA

View Full Version : Trick to Augment Synchronicity Power for Free

Rubik
2015-10-17, 04:00 PM
Okay, so the Synchronicity power from Complete Psionic allows you to spend your standard action to ready an action without specifying what event will trigger it. For an additional +2 pp, you don't have to specify what action you're taking.

Since readying itself is a standard action, and you can ready a standard action as a standard action, you can manifest Synchronicity to ready an action to ready an action. That way, at any point during the next round, you can trigger your readied action to ready an action, which you then immediately execute to do pretty much whatever the hell you want, thereby not needing to waste those power points for augmentation.

To break it down, once it's your turn, you:
1.) Perform whatever nonstandard actions you want.
2.) Manifest Synchronicity to ready an action. The action you ready? "Ready an action."
3.) After your round is over, trigger your readied action to ready an action to do whatever you want. The trigger? "Right now."
4.) Use your readied action to perform whatever Standard/Move/Free action you want.

Nifft
2015-10-17, 04:11 PM
2.) Manifest Synchronicity to ready an action. The action you ready? "Ready an action."

If you're allowed to say that, then you don't need Synchronicity.

The SRD says that declaring a Ready action requires more information, though:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready

Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. (some emphasis added)

Rubik
2015-10-17, 04:14 PM
If you're allowed to say that, then you don't need Synchronicity.Synchronicity allows you to avoid specifying what sets off your readied action, and you can use Link Power to one-up the action economy.

The SRD says that declaring a Ready action requires more information, though:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready

(some emphasis added)You have to specify the readied action that Synchronicity gives you (but not what triggers it), but as you're not actually performing the readied readied action, you don't have to specify what you're readying on THAT action until you actually ready it.

Nifft
2015-10-17, 04:23 PM
Synchronicity allows you to avoid specifying what sets off your readied action, and you can use Link Power to one-up the action economy. The action economy violation was always valid, and remains valid, but it wasn't what you were talking about.

The thing you were talking about does not seem valid.

You have to specify the readied action that Synchronicity gives you (but not what triggers it), but as you're not actually performing the readied readied action, you don't have to specify what you're readying on THAT action until you actually ready it.

Saying "ready an action" is not specifying the action. You'd need to fully specify what you're readying and what the condition will be -- which is a reduction in potency from what Synchronicity offers without the "trick".

Again, if you're allowed to partially specify the action that gets readied, then you don't need Synchronicity for this "trick" (which isn't a trick because it doesn't work). You could just say, "I ready an action to ready an action; the trigger condition is that I feel an urge to interrupt someone or something." That does not work. Your "trick" similarly does not work.

I mean, think about what partial specification would imply:
- "I ready a spell." -- "Which spell?" -- "Not telling!"

That's obviously wrong.

Necroticplague
2015-10-17, 04:26 PM
Hmmm....clever. Not sure "right now" is a valid trigger, but I don't see why ou can't decide that something that just happened did.

Also, it has to be said: yo dawg, I heard you like readying actions......

EDIT:Incidentally, couldn't you use this trick for normal Readied actions as well, under the same train of logic? You'd still need to specify under what condition the first would trigger, but it would essentially allow you to delay specifying what you intend to do until the moment comes (which, like all forms of informational asymetry, can provide a useful advantage)

Rubik
2015-10-17, 04:40 PM
The action economy violation was always valid, and remains valid, but it wasn't what you were talking about.

The thing you were talking about does not seem valid.You said that using this trick there is no reason to manifest Synchronicity. Yes, there is. Not only do you not need to specify what triggers the action (point #1 for using Synchronicity), but it lets you violate the action economy (point #2 for using Synchronicity). You said this obviates Synchronicity. It doesn't.

Saying "ready an action" is not specifying the action. You'd need to fully specify what you're readying and what the condition will be -- which is a reduction in potency from what Synchronicity offers without the "trick".

Again, if you're allowed to partially specify the action that gets readied, then you don't need Synchronicity for this "trick" (which isn't a trick because it doesn't work). You could just say, "I ready an action to ready an action; the trigger condition is that I feel an urge to interrupt someone or something." That does not work. Your "trick" similarly does not work.

I mean, think about what partial specification would imply:
- "I ready a spell." -- "Which spell?" -- "Not telling!"

That's obviously wrong.You do have to specify what action you're readying, I agree.

But readying an action is an action in and of itself, and you only perform that action when you perform that action. Specifying the specifics only occurs when that action happens, and that doesn't happen until you actually ready it.

IE, you're wrong about that.

Crake
2015-10-17, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry, I feel a little dumb, but what exactly does this solve? The +2pp effect from synchronicity essentially lets you perform any standard action as an immediate action instead within the next round. Setting your

Oh, now i get it now, it's late... ok?

Rubik
2015-10-17, 04:51 PM
Hmmm....clever. Not sure "right now" is a valid trigger, but I don't see why ou can't decide that something that just happened did.

Also, it has to be said: yo dawg, I heard you like readying actions......

EDIT:Incidentally, couldn't you use this trick for normal Readied actions as well, under the same train of logic? You'd still need to specify under what condition the first would trigger, but it would essentially allow you to delay specifying what you intend to do until the moment comes (which, like all forms of informational asymmetry, can provide a useful advantage)It can. But Synchronicity is already abusive as all get-out, so I figured I'd add to the pile.

Nifft
2015-10-17, 05:02 PM
You said that using this trick there is no reason to manifest Synchronicity. No reason in your post, yes. That was true and remains correct.

It's surprising that you would be ignorant of the context, since the context was your own post, but whatever.

You do have to specify what action you're readying, I agree.

But readying an action is an action in and of itself, and you only perform that action when you perform that action. Specifying the specifics only occurs when that action happens, and that doesn't happen until you actually ready it.

IE, you're wrong about that. So, you think that readying an action to "cast a spell" is valid?

I want to hear you try to justify that.

Rubik
2015-10-17, 05:09 PM
No reason in your post, yes. That was true and remains correct.

It's surprising that you would be ignorant of the context, since the context was your own post, but whatever.You said, "If you're allowed to say that, then you don't need Synchronicity." And I gave reasons why you would want to use Synchronicity. {scrubbed}

So, you think that readying an action to "cast a spell" is valid?

I want to hear you try to justify that.Yep. You can ready an action to cast a spell, so long as it's a standard action.

As for justification, it's right in the rules. You can go read them, if you want. They're in the SRD.

OMG PONIES
2015-10-18, 11:39 AM
Synchronicity
Clairsentience
Level: Psion/wilder 1
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round
Power Points: 1

Your eyes flash with visions only you can truly make out.

You gain a brief glimpse into the future that allows you to arrange a coincidence of events. When you manifest this power, you can ready a standard action (without spending an action to do so) and use it whenever you choose before your next turn. Unlike the normal use of readied actions, you need not specify the condition under which you take your readied action. If you do not perform your readied action before your next turn, you lose that action.

Augment: If you spend 2 additional power points, you do not need to specify the standard action you are readying. In effect, you can take your normal move action and then take any standard action at some later point in the round, depending on how events unfold.
Emphases added. Sorry that I bolded like half the quote, but still:
For 1 PP, you can specify a standard action and take it whenever you want before your next turn.
For 3 PP, you can take any standard action without specifying before your next turn.
Using Linked Power, for 6PP you can take any standard action without specifying in this turn, take a standard action as normal next turn, and still get another unspecified standard action next turn as well. Add in Schism and the like and this just gets silly :smalltongue:.

martixy
2015-10-18, 01:36 PM
Self-reference (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-reference) can (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_paradoxes#Self-reference) only (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grelling%E2%80%93Nelson_paradox) ever (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_paradox) result (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_paradox) in (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem) headaches (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undecidable_problem) ! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems)