PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Qualifying for Uncanny Forethought without taking Spell Mastery

Nifft
2015-10-17, 04:38 PM
(...) You cast these spells like any other spell you can cast, once you host a mother cyst (if you are a caster who prepares spells, you can prepare all necrotic cyst spells without referring to a spellbook, as if you had the Spell Mastery feat for each such spell).
(emphasis mine)

I don't think this counts as actually having the Spell Mastery feat, but if it did, that would make Uncanny Forethought much easier to qualify for.

So, the purpose of this thread: convince me that Mother Cyst ought to count as Spell Mastery.

Or: let's find another way to get Uncanny Forethought without spending a feat on Spell Mastery itself.

Cruiser1
2015-10-18, 12:16 AM
I don't think this counts as actually having the Spell Mastery feat
So, the purpose of this thread: convince me that Mother Cyst ought to count as Spell Mastery.
There are several buffs and items that actually grant you a feat. There are other sources (such as Mother Cyst above) which grant you the benefit of a feat. Is gaining "the benefit of a feat" the same as being granted the feat itself? Most DM's would say that by RAW the answer is no.

However, a generous interpretation (especially when building characters) is that the most important "benefit of a feat" is being able to qualify for PrC's and such that have it as a prerequisite! :smallwink: Therefore since you are treated "as if you had the Spell Mastery feat", you could be considered to qualify for Uncanny Forethought which has Spell Mastery as a prerequisite.

Kelb_Panthera
2015-10-18, 12:27 AM
Bad niffft. Uncanny forethought is one of the most powerful feats for one of the most powerful classes in the game. Suck it up and pay your taxes.

If you absolutely must, and can afford to lose a level more than a feat slot then a one level dip in magewright from ECS gets you spell mastery.

Nifft
2015-10-19, 04:18 PM
There are several buffs and items that actually grant you a feat. There are other sources (such as Mother Cyst above) which grant you the benefit of a feat. Is gaining "the benefit of a feat" the same as being granted the feat itself? Most DM's would say that by RAW the answer is no.

However, a generous interpretation (especially when building characters) is that the most important "benefit of a feat" is being able to qualify for PrC's and such that have it as a prerequisite! :smallwink: Therefore since you are treated "as if you had the Spell Mastery feat", you could be considered to qualify for Uncanny Forethought which has Spell Mastery as a prerequisite. If Mother Cyst actually said it granted "the benefit of" Spell Mastery, that would be a valid argument, and I would be a happy penguin.

Sadly, it does not say such a thing.

Could you point me to some of the other things that grant free arbitrary feats?

Thanks!

Bad niffft. Uncanny forethought is one of the most powerful feats for one of the most powerful classes in the game. Having nice things without paying for them makes the nice things even nicer.

It's better to be rich and healthy, than sick and poor.

If you absolutely must, and can afford to lose a level more than a feat slot then a one level dip in magewright from ECS gets you spell mastery. Magewright is a good idea, especially for a Gestalt build -- it might be much easier to find a spare level on the non-caster side than a spare feat slot.