PDA

View Full Version : What is the all-time best AP?

Zhentarim
2015-10-18, 12:22 AM
I'm looking to buy a few AP's and they are generally not cheap, so I'm looking to see if there is some consensus on what the best 3 AP's are. I'd rather not waste my money on something not good.

I keep hearing about kingmaker. Is that one up there?

Cackling Poop
2015-10-18, 12:42 AM
What is an AP?

YossarianLives
2015-10-18, 01:41 AM
I'm pretty sure it means "adventure path". The OP should probably have put this thread in the 3.x subforum.

Zhentarim
2015-10-18, 11:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it means "adventure path". The OP should probably have put this thread in the 3.x subforum.

Will move it.

Telonius
2015-10-19, 09:53 AM
I've played two different adventure paths from 1-20: Shackled City and Age of Worms.

For Shackled City: the fluff is wonderful, the story is great, and I liked it so much I ran it as a DM after I played it 1-20 as a player. On the bad side, Shackled City is an older module, written before the internet completely broke the game into little tiny pieces. As DM, I had to completely rewrite something like 2/3 of the named NPCs to pose any sort of credible threat to my players. (Seriously, they were doing things like making a Cleric8/Fighter8 multiclass into a high-level sub-boss, and don't even get me started about the feat selection).

For Age of Worms: Much more difficult module for us. Good challenges, very portable (we ran it in Eberron) and enough tricky foes to keep players on their toes. Downsides: for the first half of the campaign, it seemed like there wasn't much of an over-arching story, more like monster of the week challenges with nothing to tie it together. I'm more into the collaborative acting than the hack and slash - not that there can't be both, it just seemed that it was really, really weighted to hack and slash. My experience may also be due to the DM's style; he was typically the power gamer in our group. But I can only go with what I saw of it.

So, bottom line: I think Shackled City had the better story, but you're in for a lot more work as DM. Age of Worms wasn't as interesting, but seemed better balanced mechanically.

ngilop
2015-10-19, 02:43 PM
I feel that Rise of the Runelords is by far and large Paizo greatest creation. ( have yet to play or even read/get Mummy's mask)

It starts out pretty awesome-super cool religious festival and POW goblins invade! Moves onto a pretty cool horro detective themed adventure, then off to a Hills have Eyes Feat: ogres.

The adventure is extremely well balanced and includes enough 'boss' fights that requires intuitive thinking rather than trying to superman through the encounter to keep it interesting.

Wrath of the Righteous had a lot, and I mean A LOT of potentional, but the mythic rules seem more tacked on rather than a part of the adventure itself.

Reign of Winter is CRAP CRAP .. crap. the whole thing seems jerky instead of a fluid story to me, the encounters are actually pretty decent, both non-and combat ones.

But what did I to me to loathe this adventure path is you end up IN EARTH! and HEY its Rasputin! ..what the $&^* ... That to me was just crap that was being shoved in my face. oh hey we go from Golarrian ro Sibera circe WWI? and then SLAP SLAP the 'missing princess' Anastaia is Baba Yaga's grand daughter and Tesla has an invention to save you.

But I am fully aware that my bias for Reign of Winter might be my love of history, so feel free to take this review with a grain of salt :)

Vhaidara
2015-10-19, 06:30 PM
Reign of Winter is just there to make you go "We just did what? With who? And the guy helping us was? And we did this because? AND WHERE DID MY SANITY GO?"

Seriously, I got it a little spoiled because my roommate bought one of the minifig booster boxes and pulled out a "Russian Soldier" mini. Still have it. Planning to use it for a PFS Gunslinger someday.