PDA

View Full Version : Why wizards?

Aquillion
2007-05-23, 11:57 AM
People here always get into heated debates about wizards, class balance, and so on. I won't go into details, you know what the threads are like.

...but, why does everything always focus on wizards? Clerics and druids are basically as powerful as wizards (weaker in some areas, stronger in others, depending on whether you're using divine metamagic/turn-per-day-granting effects and with what restrictions, but basically on par overall.)

So what's the deal with wizards? Is there something about them, in particular, that starts arguments when CoDzillas tend to get a meh?

elliott20
2007-05-23, 12:00 PM
...but, why does everything always focus on wizards? Clerics and druids are basically as powerful as wizards (weaker in some areas, stronger in others, depending on whether you're using divine metamagic/turn-per-day-granting effects and with what restrictions, but basically on par overall.)

no they're not. they really aren't.

ask Emperor Tippy on how this works or look up Logic Ninja's guide to playing wizards. they will kill that question to death.

Emperor Tippy
2007-05-23, 12:00 PM
Wizards are the generic caster type.

And they beat Druids and Clerics in overall effectiveness and solo playability.

CoDzilla's power is also much more obvious to many people.

The wizards power comes not from a single spell but from all the different powerful things he can do. His versatility lets him win.

Ikkitosen
2007-05-23, 12:01 PM
Wizards get the best spell effects, and spells win D&D. A cleric may be able to fill both fighter and healer roles and make other people redundant (which is where a lot of the complaints come from) but wizards are just plain old more powerful.

This assumes maximum legal cheese btw - there's no reason you can't play D&D properly; you know, fun for all.

Mr the Geoff
2007-05-23, 12:04 PM
I guess it's the whole Wizards are most likely to defeat the encounter before the rest of you have had time to roll initiative where clerics and druids are all about buffing yourself up lunatic amounts but basically it's still just you or your summons hitting something very hard for lots of damage.

elliott20
2007-05-23, 12:14 PM
the sad part is, not all of it is really cheese, and all of it is legal as per RAW. it's just that, other classes don't get mechanics breaking powers.

Ramza00
2007-05-23, 01:08 PM
Different styles of play. Both are ridiculosuly good. The Cleric/Druid are more regular being sources of win (until the wizard reaches high levels). The wizard ends the encounter in one round, or he doesn't. One is endurance and will win eventually, one is I hit the I win button or I didn't.

Both are ridicilously good.

Green Bean
2007-05-23, 01:20 PM
I think the debates are about wizards because of their obvious 'weaknesses'. A Cleric or Druid doesn't provoke as much of a debate because they've got magic and tankability; they don't really have an obvious weakness. Wizards on the other hand, have some pretty obvious weaknesses, like their hit die, spellbook dependancy, or needing to have a general idea of what they're going to face the next day. The level of power arcane magic has more than makes up for these weaknesses, but it can be tricky to convince someone of that.