PDA

View Full Version : Can you use this to become a taxi?

SangoProduction
2015-10-18, 01:39 AM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/force-hook-charge

The spell doesn't give a weight limit...so, what if you tied your party to you? Or if you are uber strong, carry them?

OK. The tying might not work, because it mentions restraints. But what if you just secure them to you, and had them sit on your back (as you try desperately to breathe under the weight of the barbarian)?

torrasque666
2015-10-18, 01:54 AM
Hmmm.... I'm wondering what would happen if you stuck a rod between you and your target that fastened to both of you. Perpetual Motion Machine?

SangoProduction
2015-10-18, 01:58 AM
Hmmm.... I'm wondering what would happen if you stuck a rod between you and your target that fastened to both of you. Perpetual Motion Machine?

lol! Right! Why did I not think of that! I extol the excellence of when the party did that with a wizard's tower that follows a book....but this is official!
Space travel, here we come!
I have a feeling that it would result in you getting impaled on the rod though, lol.

What if the rod was magically held at a relative position to you, and them, a relative position from the rod? How could you do that though? Perhaps a homebrewed immovable rod which is immovable to a specific object, rather than the planet.
Actually, if you did that, you wouldn't even need the other person. You could just hook on to said immovable rod, as it's an object.

twas_Brillig
2015-10-18, 08:56 AM

I was going to say "a forcing pulling two objects together would squish them equally against a rod in between them", but since the target doesn't move while you do, there's a lack of clear equal and opposite reaction.

That said, the spell does say you land adjacent to them "if your travel to the destination is not blocked", which I'd say a rod probably qualifies as, sadly. If there was a spell that moved you away from an opponent as they moved closer to you (like your Relatively Immovable Rod)... Of course, instantaneous effects mean that either 1) ends after the caster of Force Hook instantaneously moves next to the caster of Neener Neener Field, who then moves away themselves, or 2) lasts until some condition stops NNF from working (e.g. the caster collides with the next planet over). For the RIR (or a regular rod, if that works) it'd be case 2, unless the target flies through a gap that's too small for you to fit. Long story short: prepare feather fall and hope for a merciful DM.

Psyren
2015-10-18, 05:02 PM
Tying your party to you won't work - by RAW, the spell says it brings you and only you.

But if you can make your party count as an object in your possession - say, having them all climb inside a portable hole with a bottle of air, which you then put in your pocket - that would do it. But at that point you can just Dimenson Door or Shadow Walk with them for a better result than simply carrying them less than 100ft.

Mr Adventurer
2015-10-19, 01:32 AM
My question is, why is it a THIRD level spell?!

Inevitability
2015-10-19, 02:51 AM
My question is, why is it a THIRD level spell?!

What do you mean?