PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with two low-level, high-concept Gestalt builds

Zrak
2015-10-18, 03:44 AM
Hi, Playgrounders. I'm hoping to pick your collective brains to help me build a couple characters The basic situation is that I'm trying to create two characters for a sandbox-style 3.5e gestalt game that begins at level three; I came up with a couple character concepts that I like and, moreover, feel lend themselves particularly well the possibilities of gestalt. The main problem is that I'm terrible at creating gestalt characters whose two halves work together to create a coherent, cohesive whole; generally, my gestalt characters always come out mechanically feeling like single-classed characters with better numbers, even if they're specifically designed around concepts that make use of both halves of the build. Rather than build the characters myself and, in all likelihood, arrive at the same end result, I thought I'd post the basic concepts here and ask for help from people with more experience successfully designing gestalt characters. In general, I'm not necessarily looking for help optimizing the power of either build, but more for helping tailoring the build to the concept and making the two halves of the gestalt work together.
While I already have some ideas for each build, they aren't set in stone, so feel free to suggest alternatives that throw out most or all of my tentative ideas, if you think they'll work better. Thanks in advance, and without further ado, here are the concepts, rules, and tentative builds.

I think the relevant aspects of the character creation rules are pretty simple, although I can check about anything else that comes up. In terms of material, anything from an official WotC source is allowed and third-party may be allowed on a case-by-case basis. Ability scores are 32 point buy, health is max for each HD, and the starting gold is 3,000. Level adjustment is allowed, and only takes up one side of the gestalt.

1) The Green Knight
The first idea I had was for a character who emulated a sort of amalgamation of the various versions of the Green Knight (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Knight) from Arthurian legend. In mechanical terms, this would end up as a buff-focused gish to reflect the character's knightly martial prowess and his strange, magical aspects. On an aesthetic level, the character should be green and wield as giant an axe as possible; these don't have to be mechanically justified, as such, but I'd much rather they have some connection to the mechanics, rather than being purely descriptive aspects.
Currently, my idea is a Primordial Half Giant Psion//Warblade, going into anarchic initiate on the psion side. I think the two halves of this character would actually be pretty easy work into a coherent whole as-is. . . if I hadn't forgotten everything I knew about building initiators. Like I said above, I'm open to other suggestions if you think another build would work better, but with what I have right now, I think the main thing I need help with is working out how to best make the Warblade half a mechanically and thematically contributing part of the build.
Fluffing the half-giant's giantish parent as a storm giant gives us the green skin, while Powerful Build justifies our giant axe; the LA isn't as much of an issue since it won't hurt as much in a gestalt build, and since it opens up the primordial template, which will help a lot of I end up with an Int- or Cha-based casting class. Psion is int-based and psionic, so it has good synergy with a primordial half-giant, and most psionic powers are fluffed vaguely enough to just make their displays nature-y versions of whatever's listed. Moreover, it leads into Anarchic Initiate, which has a lot of aspects that fit the Green Knight's nature-as-chaotic-foil-of-chivalry aspects and works in some of the mysterious magical properties. While Druid might seem like an obvious choice for the casting half, I'd actually rather avoid it for a couple reasons; first, it's a little too on-the-nose for my tastes; and second, while the fluff is too on-the-nose, the mechanics actually weren't that close to what I had in mind, since the Green Knight isn't really associated with shapeshifting in the wildshape sense and doesn't really have an animal companion beyond sometimes riding a horse. As for the martial side, I wlean towards Warblade honestly just because of the intelligence synergies, because a d12 HD suits the Green Knight's supernatural toughness, and because I just sort of assume some stances and maneuvers will suit the concept, but it's been long enough since I've made an initiator I don't really know where to start, which is why I think the Warblade/martial half is where I need the most help.
In terms of feats, I'd need room for Overchannel to qualify for anarchic initiate. Otherwise, all I really have in mind is taking Faerie Mysteries Initiate if it's allowed, which I'd assume it's not, since this is probably the only character I'll ever make where that feat is thematically relevant enough to excuse its colossal cheese, given the whole thing with Gawain and the Green Knight's wife, all versions of the Green Knight gaining their magical powers from their association with a woman, and the Green Knight's association with the natural/fey world.

2) The Hound of Urogalan
Way back in the days of AD&D, the first multi-class character I ever made was a halfling ranger/cleric of Urogalan the DM agreed to let me play despite its various clashes with the AD&D rules, probably because a Perky Goth halfling ranger was a welcome respite from and bulwark against the brooding Drizzt imitators that were probably at their peak around then. Given that Gestalt works along similar lines to AD&D multiclassing, I thought I'd make a sort of homage to that character. The general schtick I had in mind was a priest of Urogalan whose duty is to seek out the remains of the halfling dead wherever they may be (wherever (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Determinator)) and return them home for a proper burial. In mechanical terms, I'd want a divine caster who's uniquely skilled at infiltration and escape, in addition to the standard priestly skills of fighting his way through a dungeon and returning undead to rest. This build has a few more set-in-stone aspects than the Green Knight build (i.e. he has to be halfling and worship Urogalan) but I have less ideas of how to actually make the character beyond those basic aspects.
The very loose idea would be to combine a divine casting class on one half of the build with a more skill-focused class on the other half, but I'd also like to manage to get at least decent martial capabilities with a flail in there somewhere, mostly because when you have a deity with a super rad and mechanically decent favored weapon, it's a shame not to take advantage of it. A pretty easy route would be to just go Cleric//Ranger again, but I could see something like Archivist//Factotum outshining it, especially since I'd rather the skill-focused side of the character emphasize dungeoneering and general infiltration skills more than wilderness survival and Urogalan's domains don't exactly provide a lot of stellar or mechanically interesting options.

avr
2015-10-18, 07:28 AM
Looking at that second idea a swordsage seems like a good start. Shadow Hand maneuvers are natural for infiltration and escape and cleric buffs can assist with these - especially if you take the halfling domain. I really can't recommend using a dire flail though; besides that it looks silly it doesn't synergise with any swordsage fighting style. In particular a halfling might well want weapon finesse & shadow blade, and might be using dex-based Setting Sun maneuvers to trip with, none of which ask for a dire flail.

You could easily have dex 18, wis 16 and a mithral chain shirt for AC 22 before buffs, which is a trick your archivist // factotum can't match. The teleports for infiltration are a trick they can match but only a few times a day, while you can jump from shadow to shadow forever as long as you get a round between each.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-10-18, 11:41 AM
1) The Green Knight
I'm inclined to recommend some sort of Sorcadin for this, using Desert Half-Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs) to make him green. Sorcerer gives you access to Wings of Cover and ample spell slots for Arcane Strike, as well as (Extended/Persistent) Wraithstrike to combine with Power Attack. Note that spontaneous spells with metamagic applied only take longer to cast if the spell's original casting time is a standard action or more, so a (Lesser Rod of) Extended Wraithstrike is still a swift action to cast. Use Strongarm Bracers in MIC to use a large size weapon.

Desert Half-Orc is generally my go-to race for a fear build (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809) (example (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275093-its-a-villain-sort-of#5), example (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252815-3-5-Evil-Campaign#4)) since they can qualify for Human regional feats like Dreadful Wrath, and dip Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon) and get Menacing Demeanor from the Otyugh Hole to boost Intimidate. You could go Fighter 9/ Warblade 10/ Fighter 1 on one side, with the Zhentarim Soldier (archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels (reflavored) and take Weapon Supremacy with his Fighter 10 bonus feat. That leaves the other side for Sorcerer and full casting prestige classes (Incantatrix 4+, Abjurant Champion, etc.), though you won't be able to fit Paladin 2 or Half-Orc Paragon 1 into that without losing spellcasting or Weapon Supremacy. Get Nymph's Kiss at 1st level for extra skill points, a bonus to Intimidate, and the fey flavor.

2) The Hound of Urogalan
I would definitely go Cloistered Cleric/ PrCs// Swordsage for this. Trade the bonus Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion, trade one of your other domains for Earth Devotion which can be used to automatically cause a charge to fail, and take the Repose domain. Get the spontanous domain casting ACF in PH2 for Repose, which enables you to prepare a Cure spell in each of your domain slots, and spontaneously convert prepared spells into the useful higher level Repose domain spells once you get them. At Cleric 3 trade the Repose domain's granted power (identical to the Death domain's power) for Divine Restoration in Dungeonscape, which enables you to spontaneously convert prepared spells to cast (Lesser, Greater) Restoration. Go something like Swordsage 20// Cloistered Cleric 5/ Divine Oracle 4/ Anything 1/ Contemplative 10, gaining the Protection domain and Law Devotion from Contemplative. For that one mystery level see if you can work an adaptation of Seeker of the Misty Isle, but its goal would be to locate the remains of your fallen brethren, to get the Travel domain as well.

Zrak
2015-10-18, 01:55 PM
Looking at that second idea a swordsage seems like a good start. Shadow Hand maneuvers are natural for infiltration and escape and cleric buffs can assist with these - especially if you take the halfling domain. I really can't recommend using a dire flail though; besides that it looks silly it doesn't synergise with any swordsage fighting style. In particular a halfling might well want weapon finesse & shadow blade, and might be using dex-based Setting Sun maneuvers to trip with, none of which ask for a dire flail.
I hadn't thought about swordsage at all, that's a great suggestion. I'll have to look over the maneuvers, just like I'd have to with Warblade, since I really have forgotten most everything I ever knew about Tome of Battle.
I think Urogalan only uses a dire flail in FR, I think it's just a regular flail in other settings. Still, no finesse is a major bummer and not being on any discipline's weapon list is insult to injury. I guess I could use spiked chain, since it can be finessed, is a shadow hand weapon, and at least looks kind of like a flail, which I'll keep in mind. I'd still prefer a regular flail if I can make it work, but that's not exactly looking easy, so spiked chain is probably the way to go. It'll cost a feat, but that's why they make Strongheart halflings. Thanks.

1) The Green Knight
I'm inclined to recommend some sort of Sorcadin for this, using Desert Half-Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs) to make him green. Sorcerer gives you access to Wings of Cover and ample spell slots for Arcane Strike, as well as (Extended/Persistent) Wraithstrike to combine with Power Attack. Note that spontaneous spells with metamagic applied only take longer to cast if the spell's original casting time is a standard action or more, so a (Lesser Rod of) Extended Wraithstrike is still a swift action to cast. Use Strongarm Bracers in MIC to use a large size weapon.

Desert Half-Orc is generally my go-to race for a fear build (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809) (example (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275093-its-a-villain-sort-of#5), example (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252815-3-5-Evil-Campaign#4)) since they can qualify for Human regional feats like Dreadful Wrath, and dip Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon) and get Menacing Demeanor from the Otyugh Hole to boost Intimidate. You could go Fighter 9/ Warblade 10/ Fighter 1 on one side, with the Zhentarim Soldier (archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) substitution levels (reflavored) and take Weapon Supremacy with his Fighter 10 bonus feat. That leaves the other side for Sorcerer and full casting prestige classes (Incantatrix 4+, Abjurant Champion, etc.), though you won't be able to fit Paladin 2 or Half-Orc Paragon 1 into that without losing spellcasting or Weapon Supremacy. Get Nymph's Kiss at 1st level for extra skill points, a bonus to Intimidate, and the fey flavor.

I hadn't really thought about using a fear build, but that's actually a really good option; fear builds are solidly useful and one of the main things the Green Knight does in just about every version of his appearance is scare the living hell out of everyone at court. I might take Paladin/Half-Orc Paragon in place of some of the fighter or warblade levels, since losing out on Weapon Supremacy, if we even make it all the way to twenty, is a shame but not the end of the world.

I probably won't use Wings of Cover, despite it being a ludicrously good spell, just because the Green Knight doesn't really have any associations with dragons or winged creatures and, moreover, avoiding attacks is basically the opposite of what he's known for. One of the reasons I was thinking psion, that I forgot to mention, was to use vigor (or vigor/share pain) to be able to just shrug off catastrophic amounts of damage. On the other hand, dropping wings of cover frees up more second level slots for wraithstrike. Without going for the thug fighter variant, I'd have less skills than I might like, especially without int as a casting stat, but that's not the end of the world, and I could always go for a (refluffed) thug variant if I really miss the skills that much.

This one I'll still probably have to think about some more, but these are all really good ideas, thanks.

2) The Hound of Urogalan
I would definitely go Cloistered Cleric/ PrCs// Swordsage for this. Trade the bonus Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion, trade one of your other domains for Earth Devotion which can be used to automatically cause a charge to fail, and take the Repose domain. Get the spontanous domain casting ACF in PH2 for Repose, which enables you to prepare a Cure spell in each of your domain slots, and spontaneously convert prepared spells into the useful higher level Repose domain spells once you get them. At Cleric 3 trade the Repose domain's granted power (identical to the Death domain's power) for Divine Restoration in Dungeonscape, which enables you to spontaneously convert prepared spells to cast (Lesser, Greater) Restoration. Go something like Swordsage 20// Cloistered Cleric 5/ Divine Oracle 4/ Anything 1/ Contemplative 10, gaining the Protection domain and Law Devotion from Contemplative. For that one mystery level see if you can work an adaptation of Seeker of the Misty Isle, but its goal would be to locate the remains of your fallen brethren, to get the Travel domain as well.
I already had Cloistered in mind to get knowledge devotion, especially since there's really no reason not to go Cloistered as a gestalt character. The other ideas for sprucing up or replacing the lackluster domains (especially Earth devotion; I don't know how I forgot this, since one of my favorite 3.5 clerics used earth devotion) and adding non-deity domains are all great; I'd been looking for a way to get the Travel domain, since it's super appropriate to the concept, but didn't even think of refluffing Seeker of the Misty Isle. Contemplative is always great, and Divine Oracle fits perfectly. Other than maybe making a last ditch attempt to figure out a way to make flails more viable, I think the Hound is basically done. Thanks!

EDIT: Flail could be workable if I can back-port the Pathfinder feat Guided Hand and get it added to Shadow Hand's list of associated weapons. Since it's not really any better and arguably worse than using the spiked chain, and costs the same number of feats (Channel Smite (or equivalent) + Guided Hand, rather than EWP + Weapon Finesse), I wouldn't think it would be turned down, but who knows.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-10-18, 06:14 PM
I hadn't really thought about using a fear build, but that's actually a really good option; fear builds are solidly useful and one of the main things the Green Knight does in just about every version of his appearance is scare the living hell out of everyone at court. I might take Paladin/Half-Orc Paragon in place of some of the fighter or warblade levels, since losing out on Weapon Supremacy, if we even make it all the way to twenty, is a shame but not the end of the world.

I probably won't use Wings of Cover, despite it being a ludicrously good spell, just because the Green Knight doesn't really have any associations with dragons or winged creatures and, moreover, avoiding attacks is basically the opposite of what he's known for. One of the reasons I was thinking psion, that I forgot to mention, was to use vigor (or vigor/share pain) to be able to just shrug off catastrophic amounts of damage. On the other hand, dropping wings of cover frees up more second level slots for wraithstrike. Without going for the thug fighter variant, I'd have less skills than I might like, especially without int as a casting stat, but that's not the end of the world, and I could always go for a (refluffed) thug variant if I really miss the skills that much.

This one I'll still probably have to think about some more, but these are all really good ideas, thanks.

If you're not concerned about Weapon Supremacy, maybe go something like Sorcerer 2/ Paladin 2// Half-Orc Paragon 1/ Human Paragon 3, then take Sorcerer + PrCs 9// Zhentarim Thug Fighter 9, and then finish out with Sorcerer + PrCs 7// Warblade 7. That gets 20th level Sorcerer spellcasting and +20 BAB, with 7th level maneuvers and stances.

Zrak
2015-10-18, 06:39 PM
Hm. What about replacing Paladin and Warblade with Crusader? I'd still end up with Cha to saves and smite, plus zealous surge, steely resolve, and a higher totally initiator level, and I'd only lose 14 HP and Warblade features I couldn't make that much use of, anyhow, right? I think the only other drawback is the wonky crusader readying mechanic, but that's way less of a concern given the sorcerer half of the build.

Would a half-giant be eligible for human paragon? I don't really see why not, since they're as human as a half-orc in terms of heritage, but it's hard to say. Also, it depends on whether the half-orc paragon ability is what allows the half-orc to take human paragon levels in general, or just in addition to other paragon levels. Desert half-orc is definitely a mechanically better choice, and still is a huge green dude when you get down to it, but the half-giant seems a little more thematically appropriate, if I can get it to work, since giants have more connections to similar folklore and the desert part of desert half-orc is kind of a fluff stretch. I'd be okay losing the HP, +1 BAB, and +2 intimidate, but losing the human paragon levels loses caster levels, which I'm less keen on.