PDA

View Full Version : Statting up Borderlands monsters.

Agrippa
2015-10-18, 05:07 AM
In the Borderlands games the world of Pandora is home to a panoply of fantastic, if deadly man-killing beasts. All the way from spiderants and crab worms to skags and bullymongs. That's not counting the human adversaries or living Eridian superweapons like the Warrior and the Destroyer. So has anyone thought about how to stat these creatures out?

BWR
2015-10-18, 05:46 AM
Do you mean actual stats or a general approach to stat'ing?
Haven't played the games but if you look hard enough you will probably find something similar to most of what you can find in games somewhere in D&D's history.

DrKerosene
2015-10-18, 07:53 AM
I agree with mostly refluffing/reskinning MM creatures, maybe with some minor template alterations. The Borderlands1 wikia enemy page says you've basically got three types of enemies, Beasts, Humans, and Guardians. You've excluded humans, which I get.

Skags, basically non-tripping wolves, right? Most have an at-will spit attack, maybe a tongue lash option. You can usually advance creatures by HD and size a bit, throw on an elemental template for the big-badass versions. Templated Dire Wolves, maybe with the Horrid template, and/or Titanic, should really be able to cover Skagzilla and the named skags, right? The Chameleon template should give a creature a 10ft touch-attack enabling tongue, if you really want Skag tongue action.

Are Rakk that different from eagles with Flyby Attack? Their Hives can probably be built with some weird Host-Swarm template thrown on an advanced elephant or huge-something. I've seen bigger things that could be used, but I don't recall what else the Hives could do.

Spiderants, Scythid, Varkids, Drifters, and Craw Maggots are most likely just variously templated giant-vermin, Crystalisks seem be a little more complicated if you're not just trying to mimic how they play (slow, ranged piercing attack, can burrow, lava immune?). I'd consider something like a half-earth elemental template. Threshers might be based off of the purple worms and it's lesser kin.

Invisible Stalkers can probably be based on Blink Dogs, Displacer Beasts, or something in that vein. If you don't mind giving them a couple levels of Monk for the Invisible Fist ACF that might work too. I know some Fey would probably work too. Bullymongs are either basically Giants with climb speed (and extra arms?), or something big with Rock Throwing as a feat/ability, right?

The immobile gun turret things should be easy enough to make. Some of the claptrap roboticized things would probably work with half-golem templates. Trash feeders are basically bloodwing. Zombie humanoids should probably be easy enough to do with the various undead books and templates. Also, I forgot about the WereSkags.

Those Construct Loaders from the second one, that create extra robots? Can probably be based on Thoon Madcrafters, or Outsider chain-summoning but they give the uses to their summoner instead of doing it individually (probably only for a boss). The other robots can probably be made with some at-will spells to replicate their main shtick (like Magic Missile).

The Guardians? They're electric-damage dealing (mindless) constructs with shields, right? If not, I'd consider taking the Hobgoblin relative, the Varag, add some classes levels and templating them until I get the feel I want.

I'm not that familiar with all the DLC, but the DnD one should be easiest. Bosses and vehicles seems the most awkward, but I've been meaning to actually use some Mad Max ideas with big background boss-type enemies.

Alistaroc
2015-10-19, 04:25 PM
Girallons would be perfect Bullymongs.

Agrippa
2015-12-11, 03:45 AM
Hi, haven't posted here for a little while, I hope that's okay. I have a pretty good handle on stating up skags as modified and reflavored krenshers. Right now I'm trying to figure out spiderants. Any ideas on how to stat them?