PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [WIP] Theriurge Alchemist Archetype: A "Frankenstein"-style monster creator

Ethereal Gears
2015-10-18, 08:29 AM
So, in my Base Class Archetypes (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8e09cD4OAF3QXoyRHU3UVRYN2c&usp=sharing) folder, I've uploaded a new alchemist archetype called the Theriurge. This grew out of a discussion on the Paizo boards about how to create an alchemist that gets, effectively, an eidolon, albeit a physically created rather than magically summoned one. The idea is to let you create a custom magical beast or aberration or plant, et cetera.

I'm directing people to click on the link to the folder and access the archetype through there. Direct links to Google Drive stuff quickly become obsolete as changes are made and documents re-uploaded. The folder will always contain the latest updated version. As of now, I've yet to create discoveries for this class, and so any suggestions regarding these, as well as more "alchemical evolution" ideas would be very welcome!

Cheers,
- Gears

Ethereal Gears
2016-02-15, 12:06 PM
The theriurge has now been updated to include a new base form, called the myriad base form, that allows you to gain a swarm therion from the get-go. I've also made some changes to the swarm form evolution (which this new base form gains for free) to make it more balanced. I also added on a high-level evolution to let you wear your therion like construct armor.

Cheers,
- Gears

Ethereal Gears
2016-02-18, 10:36 AM
A final update and a bump for this one: I added the ability to gain the preservationist's bottled allies ability as a discovery. I'm not sure if it's balanced at such a relatively low opportunity cost, but it somehow didn't seem right to split it up into several discoveries. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure if this is something one is allowed to request, but if at all possible removing the [WIP] tag from the thread title would be great. While arguably still something of a work in progress (when is a homebrew project ever really done?), the achetype is a lot more finished now than when I first created the thread.

Cheers,
- Gears

Ethereal Gears
2016-02-25, 09:11 AM
Well, it seems I couldn't keep my hands off this archetype, so I made yet another series of fun little add-ons. It's now possible for theriurges who are able to create magical beasts to also create monstrous humanoids, and later on dragons(!!!), via a pair of discoveries. I thought this seemed like a nice way to balance the magical beast creature type, which otherwise isn't very attractive compared to the slew of immunities provided by constructs/oozes/plants/undead and the enlarged evolution pool gained by aberrations.

With all the stuff now added on, at 16th level a theriurge with the right combo of evolutions and discoveries could wear a living armor composed of a swarm of alchemical dragons. You're welcome. :P

Cheers,
- Gears