PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - Rise of the Runelords - Advice - All Undead Party?

unseenmage
2015-10-18, 03:34 PM
I intend to run a side game once every other month for our playgroup and we'll be running through Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition.

Any advice or pitfalls I should watch out for with the whole party being undead? Any battles or baddies that being undead will overly trivialize?

I'm hoping to make this a brisk playthrough where we get through at least one book per session.

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Edit: We're starting at level 2/CR 2.
Party so far consists of a fat Zombie Goblin Rogue who searches the corpses of deceased enemies for the physical soul as though it were an undiscovered piece of anatomy.
A Dread Skeleton (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/dread-skeleton-cr-1) who seeks to free the skeletons of the living from their fleshy prisons.
A necropolitan analogue built from the Race builder. But he might also be going Ghast Monk.
An undecided whose first thought was Vargoille but is probably just playing a ghoul or skeleton bard.
And one other who won't be able to rejoin us for a while but will surely play a melee mundane of some kind.

Also, due to a misspelling in my notes I'm seriously considering rewriting the adventures to be 'Rise fo the Runelords' instead where these undead get to fight for the forces of evil in scenarios where the PCs never arrived.
Suggestions are again more than welcome.

Starbuck_II
2015-10-18, 09:18 PM
I intend to run a side game once every other month for our playgroup and we'll be running through Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition.

Any advice or pitfalls I should watch out for with the whole party being undead? Any battles or baddies that being undead will overly trivialize?

I'm hoping to make this a brisk playthrough where we get through at least one book per session.

Thoughts and advice welcome.
Goblin dogs less of a threat since allergy no work. Goblin Snakes can't poison now. Attic Whisper less of a threat.

Well, in the Catacombs of Wrath

Vargouille isn't a threat vs undead. Erylium the Quasit (forget how Anniversary changed her) is sometimes changed to a Cleric (could then command the undead PC).

In the Goblin lair there are traps that use Fort saves (not going to work on undead).

In Thistletop Dungeon: Tentamont uses Fort saves to causes Con damage.
Every enemy caster should use Chill Touch to mess with PCs (causes fear effect) and Disrupt Undead cantrip.
Shadows will be no trouble for fellow undead.
Nualia, main boss is also, a Cleric so she can turn/command (with a feat them).

In general, watch out for That Damn Crab (from 3.5, he makes a return in Rise of Runelords).

unseenmage
2015-10-19, 03:11 AM
Idea! It is almost Halloween and the next time we play will be next Sunday. If we start the game then I could refluff the church festival to also be a Halloween-esque festival where the players being Undead wouldn't be quite so immediately obvious.

Does Golarion have a Halloween analogue?

Nibbens
2015-10-19, 09:08 AM
Goblin dogs less of a threat since allergy no work. Goblin Snakes can't poison now. Attic Whisper less of a threat.

Well, in the Catacombs of Wrath

Vargouille isn't a threat vs undead. Erylium the Quasit (forget how Anniversary changed her) is sometimes changed to a Cleric (could then command the undead PC).

In the Goblin lair there are traps that use Fort saves (not going to work on undead).

In Thistletop Dungeon: Tentamont uses Fort saves to causes Con damage.
Every enemy caster should use Chill Touch to mess with PCs (causes fear effect) and Disrupt Undead cantrip.
Shadows will be no trouble for fellow undead.
Nualia, main boss is also, a Cleric so she can turn/command (with a feat them).

In general, watch out for That Damn Crab (from 3.5, he makes a return in Rise of Runelords).

In books two, three and four, there are a couple necromancers with "command Undead" Most of whom are prominent villains. So your battles could turn into "unfun" fights very quickly.

Sandpoint is a very tightknit community. I would invision anything evil or "normally evil" such as undead and such having a hard time making allies with the town since they are so different than the 95% human population of Sandpoint. This could become a heavy sticking point as in every single book (up to book 4 at least) being in or going back to Sandpoint is the main crux. The town priest will even cast a sending to the pcs to bring them back at the start of book 5 if they don't get the hint to go back themselves.

Also, fight 1, book 1, the town priest casts cure light wounds on all the wounded PCs... This could pose problems, as being undead would injure them, as well as would father zantus even want to. You might have to go in a take a look at the motivations of all your major NPCs and such as well.