PDA

View Full Version : Need a Feat for AC

killingfish
2015-10-18, 03:42 PM
I have a Fighter Lv 9, going through my feats my gm noticed i had a Home Brew which gave me +2 ac on selected target (i didnt know it was HB)
so im looking for a feat which will give me any boost into my ac as im a tank for the party. pritty much all book aloud

Sir Toast
2015-10-18, 04:06 PM
Ok.
Since your a fighter you have proficiency in all armor but not in tower shields.
A. You could take the Combat Expertise Feat. This grants you the ability to take a penalty as much as -5 on your attack roll and the same number 9+5 or less) as a dodge bonus to your AC. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The changes to attack rolls and Armor Class last until your next action. To get this skill you need an intelligence of 13.
B. You could take the Dodge Feat: Once per turn you can choose one creature and get a a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks from that opponent. You can select a new opponent on any action.
A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses. To get this you need a Dex of 13. It can be taken as a fighter feat.
C. You could take the Mobility Feat: It grants you a +4 dodge bonus to your AC against AoOs caused when you move out of or within a threatened area. If you have a condition that makes you lose your Dex. bonus to your AC you also lose the dodge bonus. This can be selected as a fighter feat but to get it you need to have a Dex of 13 and the Dodge feat.

ranagrande
2015-10-18, 04:35 PM
Fighters do in fact have Tower Shield Proficiency. They're the only class that gets it for free.

Your best bet for an AC feat is probably Exotic Armor Proficiency to use Mountain Plate or something.

Vizzerdrix
2015-10-18, 06:13 PM
Aberrant Dragonmark- Shield will get you the Shield spell.
Mark of Xorit will get you DR5/byeshk.
And what about Combat Expertise?

Pluto!
2015-10-18, 06:16 PM
Law Devotion gives between +3 and +7 to AC (depending on level) 1/day, with additional uses if you dip out of Fighter (not really a cost, TBH) for Turn Undead.

Sir Toast
2015-10-18, 06:25 PM
Here's a link of 3.5e Defensive Feats (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Defensive_Feats), some of them might be helpful.

ranagrande
Fighters do in fact have Tower Shield Proficiency. They're the only class that gets it for free.

Oops your right. My mistake I'll take it off my post.

Darrin
2015-10-18, 07:08 PM
Shape Soulmeld: Wormtail Belt is good for +2 natural armor.

Theomniadept
2015-10-18, 07:18 PM
I, in good faith, canNOT recommend taking an exotic armor proficiency. You're taking one feat for +1 AC and there are no good armors. Battle Plate is 1 AC higher than Full Plate. Mountain Plate might give 10 AC but it has zero dex (Battle Plate and Full Plate have 1), and your movement speed is halved regardless of being a Dwarf or not. Also the carry weight is like 300 pounds, even 18 STR starting characters would be hard pressed to carry anything else other than armor and a weapon.

Shield Specialization is a good AC feat that adds +2 to a chosen class of shields - in other words, Tower Shields now give +6 AC. Why is this good? Because Shield Specialization qualifies you for the Shield Ward feat, which adds your Shield AC to Touch AC, meaning you can deflect Enervations with a shield.

Vizzerdrix
2015-10-18, 08:06 PM
Here's a link of 3.5e Defensive Feats (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Defensive_Feats), some of them might be helpful.

Friends don't let friends DanDwiki.

Strangers on forums don't let other strangers on forums DanDwiki either.

Yogibear41
2015-10-18, 08:21 PM
Heavy Armor Optimization and Greater Heavy Armor Optimization from Races of Stone both increase your AC while wearing Heavy Armor, as well as reduce the ACP. They can also be taken as fighter bonus feats.

If you have any natural armor, you can take Improved Natural armor multiple times for a +1 to Natural Armor each time.

Shield Specizliation and Shield ward from PHB 2 can be useful as well. Both are fighter feats.

What is your character's Race?

Zale
2015-10-18, 11:38 PM
Friends don't let friends DanDwiki.

Strangers on forums don't let other strangers on forums DanDwiki either.

Most of those are sadly balanced around the normal fighter feats; and as such terribly anemic.

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-19, 01:13 AM
I, in good faith, canNOT recommend taking an exotic armor proficiency. You're taking one feat for +1 AC and there are no good armors. Battle Plate is 1 AC higher than Full Plate. Mountain Plate might give 10 AC but it has zero dex (Battle Plate and Full Plate have 1), and your movement speed is halved regardless of being a Dwarf or not. Also the carry weight is like 300 pounds, even 18 STR starting characters would be hard pressed to carry anything else other than armor and a weapon.

The exotic armors are a trap. If you want heavier armor you can just get Thaalud Stone Armor (A:EoS p.108). +12 AC, 0 dex, -8 ACP, 180lb for 2800gp, and it's normal heavy armor.

Theomniadept
2015-10-22, 12:58 AM
The exotic armors are a trap. If you want heavier armor you can just get Thaalud Stone Armor (A:EoS p.108). +12 AC, 0 dex, -8 ACP, 180lb for 2800gp, and it's normal heavy armor.

Ah yes, of course. I knew that, of course I knew that, everybody knows that.

But uh....for the folks at home, could you explain what "A:EoS" stands for?

Curmudgeon
2015-10-22, 01:06 AM
That would be the adventure Anauroch: The Empire Of Shade.

True believer
2015-10-22, 02:54 AM
Protection devotion and if you go the dodge way you should probably choose the dodge variation feat in tome of battle.