PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Creating Blitzball in 3.5 (Football/rugby in a sphere of water)

NapazTrix
2015-10-18, 04:41 PM
https://youtu.be/1XNFlZnX8Ug?t=19

https://youtu.be/-IhFo1rXFH4?t=267

Blitzball:
If you don't want to watch the video, or need more info; Blitzball is a game between up to 20 players on 2 opposing teams, though normally only 6 on each side are out at a time, they need to grab and throw a ball into the opponents gate, whilst dodging tackling opponents. They have to account for water resistant when they throw and arc them around their foes, with some special moves incorporating water aerobics and flourishes.

Matches are 10 minutes, 5 minutes with a break and switch sides. Tournaments are around 3-5 matches round robin (so up to 15 matches in total), with some going throughout the day for practice and spectator matches.

The Sphere/Playground:
I will take this reddit post for the sizing: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/24ny08/blitzball_arena_dimensions_derived/

The Sphere of water is 50 meters in diameter and a volume of approximately 1 963 m3. D&D uses feet so that would be 164 feet in diameter.

Some backstory of the idea ingame:
One of my players was thinking of making Blitzball a sort of entertainment scene for his groups city, possibly inspired when they brought back to life an oasis in their desert city. I want to try and work something like this out for them, though mostly using magic, to suspend water in midair of this size that allows people to swim through it and play a game of Blitzball.

Ideas:
I know of Control water, but this is for raising and lowering, taking 3 level 7 clerics to cast it for the amount of water needed. But it doesn't say it can suspend it in air.

Are there any spells that could possibly pull this off? Devices or such in other books I could retrofit? If It isn't in the allowed I can still change it to fit.

Books allowed: Everything besides Other Campaign Books | Book of Erotic Fantasy | Druids | Artificers | Psionics | Homebrew.

Edit:
Create Water (Phb) to create the water necessary for the sphere, with 0.3048 (4 casts) water in diameter per level. Some combination of 538 levels of clerics to make enough (4 lv0 spells), or several casts. Possibly hold the water in a huge container then just use that over and over.
Airy water (Stormwrack) could be used to make the water breathable for the non-water folk. Can just Roleplay it that the water becomes clearer/whiter due to the spell, allowing spectators to view the match easier.

Uncle Pine
2015-10-19, 01:01 AM
I'm so happy you didn't ask for help to create rules to play Blitzball in 3.5, because it means that I can actually help (but if you do come up with a full set of rules feel free to share, Blitzball is so cool).

I think Stronghold's Builder Guide could have something to help you build a giant floating water sphere. If it doesn't, you can always build a simple container and fill it with water.

NapazTrix
2015-10-19, 06:39 AM
I am pretty sure they would just make it for the sake of the city and a source of income, rather than play it themselves. They don't exactly have the time to be training to play a watersport.

I will just make a load of team names, give them skill levels and if the party wants to they can endorse, train and the like a team of their choice and they will level up their blitzball playing faster. No One in the party is a good swimmer so I don't have to worry too much of them getting into the sphere.

Thing is the water can't be in a container due to the fact that people must be able to jump in and out of the sphere (In the cutscene a player is tackled out). Building the arena itself is pretty easy, it's just a load of stands and pews for people to sit and cheer at, whereas the floating water in the middle kind of has to be made and controlled by magic or magic devices.

Temotei
2015-10-19, 06:51 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?83696-Blitzball-A-Final-Fantasy-X-Game-Within-a-Game) might be of assistance for rules if you need help with those.

NapazTrix
2015-10-19, 07:08 AM
This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?83696-Blitzball-A-Final-Fantasy-X-Game-Within-a-Game) might be of assistance for rules if you need help with those.

Thank you very much for this, I did do a search on Blitzball but nothing came up. If players actually want to get involved I will look at this for help.

Though I really only need help with actually creating and controlling the sphere of water :smalltongue:

Uncle Pine
2015-10-19, 07:40 AM
Planar Bubble (Elemental Plane of Water) would get you a miniature blitzball arena with a radius of 10 ft., but it's a start.

EDIT: For the record, a diameter of 50 meters translates to a radius of 85 ft. in d&d.

Uncle Pine
2015-10-19, 12:56 PM
I've been reading through the Stronghold's Builder Guidebook and the only thing useful to your plan are chambers of airy water (basically rooms where everyone can breathe water as if it was air, the only difference from the spell from Stormrack is that you don't have to recast the spell). There's nothing about intangible walls you can use to contain water without containing people, although there are glass or transparent walls you can fill with clear airy water.

My suggestion at this point is to build a container larger than your usual blitzball field, fill it with airy water and use "glowing magic" to demarcate the boundaries of the playing field. Then, rule that any team with a player that ends his turn out of the boundaries lose/gets a penalty.

BWR
2015-10-19, 01:13 PM
I prefer this (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2007/04/28/episode-839-wide-world-of-sports/)simple rules variation.

NapazTrix
2015-10-19, 01:54 PM
I've been reading through the Stronghold's Builder Guidebook and the only thing useful to your plan are chambers of airy water (basically rooms where everyone can breathe water as if it was air, the only difference from the spell from Stormrack is that you don't have to recast the spell). There's nothing about intangible walls you can use to contain water without containing people, although there are glass or transparent walls you can fill with clear airy water.

My suggestion at this point is to build a container larger than your usual blitzball field, fill it with airy water and use "glowing magic" to demarcate the boundaries of the playing field. Then, rule that any team with a player that ends his turn out of the boundaries lose/gets a penalty.

The room doesn't give me dimensions or costs, rather just a cost for the entire stronghold.

I need to have gold value and sizes to try and work it to what the players can see and work with.

I prefer this (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2007/04/28/episode-839-wide-world-of-sports/)simple rules variation.

I do not like the cut of your jib good sir.

Uncle Pine
2015-10-19, 02:26 PM
The room doesn't give me dimensions or costs, rather just a cost for the entire stronghold.

I need to have gold value and sizes to try and work it to what the players can see and work with.

Costs of wondrous architectures in SBG are given "per stronghold space (ss)". 1 ss takes up a 20-foot-by-20-foot-by-10-foot space. The price of 1 ss varies depending on many factors as described in Chapter 1 of SBG (climate, terrain, distance from other settlements, etc.). Once you determine the size and price of your stronghold (in this case, your blitzball arena), you add the cost of any wondrous architecture you want times the number of ss affected. So adding the chamber of airy water to a 1 ss blitzball arena costs 8,500 gp, adding it to a 2 ss arena costs 17,000 gp, etc.

EDIT: The dimensions of a single stronghold space are detailed on page 8.