PDA

View Full Version : Good Wizard Buff Spells

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-18, 05:14 PM
So I will be using a mystic ranger sword of the arcane order/swiftblade and I am trying to determine some good arcane self buff spells. My DM okay ed me buying a custom spellbook so I can have anything I want at the cost off 100+150 x pages filled.

Zanos
2015-10-18, 05:51 PM
Greater Blink, despite its short duration, is probably one of the best universally good wizard buffs.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-18, 06:51 PM
That is definitely on my list. Sadly I am on my tablet so I do not have the list of spells that I have already selected. Found it partially:
0: Amanuensis, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Prestigitation, Read Magic
1: Nerveskitter
2: Heart of Air
3: Heart of Water, Haste, Greater Mighty Wallop, Greater Magic Weapon
4: Heart of Earth, Greater Blink
5: Heart of Fire

IcarusWulfe
2015-10-18, 08:26 PM
Haste is a good combat buff in my opinion

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-18, 08:35 PM
Haste is a good combat buff in my opinion

I am a swiftblade... and I listed it in the post mentioning which spells I had chosen...

I am back home and can add:
Enlarge Person at 1st and Fly at 3rd or maybe Overland Flight at 5. I won't get 5th level spells until 12th level unfortunately but my 3rd level slots are incredibly full so I am pretty sure I will be only very rarely preparing Fly.

Khedrac
2015-10-19, 03:48 AM
When I played a war weaver my standard tapestry load to buff the party was:

Haste - (already mentioned)
Greater Invisibility - if you opponents cannot see you the party has a huge advantage, not just the rogues
Fly - individual fly in a tapestry means no pesky 30' limit.
Protection from Evil - the blocking of mind-control effects is well worth a first level spell slot.

Other spells could then be cast as needed, of on occasion pre-loaded for a specific encounter.
Casting all 5 Protection from Energy spells happened quite a lot too (I used sonic attacks so it was usually worth adding that one, fire got skipped the most often).

Even a simple invisibility well timed can be a very useful buff - it can get a healer to the injured character safely (or vice versa), it can get a character up next to the enemy boss bypassing minions etc.
Bear's Endurance is nice if someone is not wearing a con item (some people take ages to learn that con > amulet of natural armor) - and it can save someone from dying.

Mass Darkvision is a good spell for a party trying to sneak invisibly round a complex. (Cast Zone of Silence and the enemy does not even get listen checks).
Anticipate Teleport is a good buff, but only if no-one in the party uses teleports.

Geddy2112
2015-10-19, 10:40 AM
Enlarge person is great for the party brutes, and reduce person is great for you and the other casters.

Lead blades, gravity bow, and longstrider are also great buffs, but only one is on your spell list. Since you have a custom book, you might be able to nab all three.

Heroism is also a must have-the duration is all day at higher levels.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-19, 11:01 AM
Enlarge person is great for the party brutes, and reduce person is great for you and the other casters.

Lead blades, gravity bow, and longstrider are also great buffs, but only one is on your spell list. Since you have a custom book, you might be able to nab all three.

Lead Blades and Gravity Bow are both Pathfinder, while this is 3.5. Heroism lasts 10 min/level which is not particularly long.

I am a brute in this case, as a Ranger who has access to Wizard spells. The PF spells look good; I may ask my DM about incorporating them later.

As a side note does anyone know of a way to nab druid spells as a ranger?

Flickerdart
2015-10-19, 11:27 AM
Greater mirror image is pretty handy because of its swift-action casting time, so the short duration is less problematic.

g3taso
2015-10-19, 12:45 PM
Nereid's Grace, Paragon Surge 3, Spell Immunity 4, Ruin Delver’s Fortune 4 (3x casting), Divine Power 4, Channel Vigor 3, Ward Shield 4, Favor of the Martyr 4, Surmount Affliction 2, Divine Agility 2, Friendly Fire4

(note these are mixed with Divine, and some are PF)

Gives the following (and a bit more as well)
Immunity: attacks that function specifically by causing pain (such as the wrack spell), blindness, charm and compulsion effects, confused, dazed, dazzled, deafened, exhausted, fatigued, fear effects, nauseated, nonlethal damage, paralyzed, poison, sickened, staggered, stunned,
Evasion ability;
Whenever you are the target of a ranged attack or a ranged touch attack, you can cast this spell to deflect the attack toward another target within 30 feet. Use the same attack roll. If the redirected attack hits the new target, resolve it as normal. Otherwise, the attack fails.
You gain a +4 competence bonus on Knowledge and Perception skill checks and on ranged attack rolls.
You gain a +4 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, Strength checks, and Strength-based skill checks You also gain 1 temporary hit point per caster level. More benefits if in actual melee combat. Remains conscious at –1 to –9 hit points and can take a single action each round while in that state, and does not lose hit points for acting.

Deophaun
2015-10-19, 05:24 PM

That "higher level" would be 24, once you Extend it.

No one's mentioned luminous armor? Ok, it might not technically be on the wizard's list, but any Good wizard can still cast it. And it lasts all day at level 8 without Extend.

The various resistance spells. Dragon scales is a nice combination of bark skin and resist energy. Wraith strike is technically a buff. Oh, dweomer vortex is an awesome but unloved spell. Protects you from at least 6 levels of spells 3rd and lower, or swift action discharge it as a "Screw your buffs" attack on the guy who otherwise has a CL of "No" on dispel checks for his spells (remember: it stops after it has dispelled 6 spell levels; that does not mean it cannot take out a single 9th level spell after also getting rid of a 1st and a 4th).

ZamielVanWeber
2015-10-19, 05:30 PM
I definitely plan on using Luminous Armor and, when my higher level slots aren't as used up, its greater version.

Dweller Vortex sounds extremely interesting. That will definitely need to go on my wish list.