PDA

View Full Version : Illusions vs Undead.

The Shadowdove
2015-10-18, 06:04 PM
Hey peeps,

Do Illusions work vs undead?

That is all.

-Dove

Kryx
2015-10-18, 06:11 PM
There is nothing that says they don't, so yes.

Shaofoo
2015-10-18, 06:31 PM
By RAW it would always work no matter what unless the creature has truesight which would let it discern the illusion for what it really is.

Personally I would rule that intelligent undead could be affected but mindless undead will not care for illusions. If the undead does not think it cannot consider the illusion so it will not be affected by it. Same thing happening to constructs.

Sigreid
2015-10-18, 06:32 PM
Agreed. It's not listed on their immunities.

Belac93
2015-10-18, 06:44 PM
I would say intelligent undead are affected by illusions the same as living creatures. Unintelligent undead would be affected by certain illusions. They would go around a brick wall, or shamble after a human. Unless they detect by scent, then they might just ignore them.
They might even be affected better, because they are worse at problem solving than most animals, they might walk off a cliff through an illusory bridge, even after seeing a dozen other zombies fall right through.

Doof
2015-10-19, 03:09 AM
it does, but mindless undeads would have less reservations about, say, running (or shambling) up to the wall that just appeared out of nowhere and try to walk through it without interacting with it first. Intelligent undead might want to make sure it's not a wall of stone that was cast.

Inevitability
2015-10-19, 03:15 AM
I'd say non-intelligent undead are easier to fool with illusions than most other creatures. If a human thug is chasing after you, sees you round a corner, then discovers nothing but a brick wall past the corner, he's going to examine the wall and perhaps try to determine if it is an illusion. An undead isn't going to do any of those things; unless it was specifically commanded to do so.

Malifice
2015-10-19, 03:31 AM
Yep.

They see em just fine.

Doof
2015-10-19, 04:23 AM
I'd say non-intelligent undead are easier to fool with illusions than most other creatures. If a human thug is chasing after you, sees you round a corner, then discovers nothing but a brick wall past the corner, he's going to examine the wall and perhaps try to determine if it is an illusion. An undead isn't going to do any of those things; unless it was specifically commanded to do so.

I don't know, I think a zombie would more likely ignore the wall and continue forth. Like, jumping over a wall isn't going to stop a zombie from trying to clamber over.

Mara
2015-10-19, 05:53 AM
In 3e, mindless undead would auto-fail.

The idea is that illusions create false sensations and mindless undead could not recall the actual experience to realize what they sensed was false.

Though mindless undead are more likely to bump into walls.

Nothing is mindless in 5e though.

steppedonad4
2015-10-19, 06:14 AM
There is nothing that says they don't, so yes.

I swear that this, or "Does it say it does? No? Then it doesn't," is the answer to 99% of questions I hear about 5e.

Maxilian
2015-10-19, 11:18 AM
I don't know, I think a zombie would more likely ignore the wall and continue forth. Like, jumping over a wall isn't going to stop a zombie from trying to clamber over.

In the information given in the MM, it says that they will try to overcome obstacles (trying to pass by it), but in case they try to attack the wall, they will walk through it