PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Half-Gold Dragon Dire Weasel Monster of Legend

WeaselGuy
2015-10-18, 06:46 PM
So. Just as a sort of thought experiment, based on a few random threads I've been reading lately, what would some of you guys do with a Half-Gold Dragon Dire Weasel Monster of Legend? Dire Weasel from MM1 Pg 65, Half-Dragon from MM1 Pg 146, Monster of Legend from MM2 Pg 213.
3HD, LA+3 from Half-Dragon, LA+7 from Monster of Legend.

I had considered 5 levels of Fangshields Ranger (FR:CoV 41) and 2 levels of Stalker of Kharash (BoED 75) for flavor to finish up the last 7 levels, but I'm curious to see what the Playground can do to my crazy idea :smallbiggrin:

For the record, Monster of Legend is applied before Half-Dragon, taking the Animal to Outsider (Native) and then to Dragon.

Bad Wolf
2015-10-18, 07:52 PM
Well, this would be the stats.

Size/Type: Medium Dragon (Fire, Cold, Native)
Hit Dice: 3d8+6 (19 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 25 (+4 Dex, +11 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 21)
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+13
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+12)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+12)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach, blood drain, breath weapon, two of your choice
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, fire immunity, cold immunity, two of your choice
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +13, Will +8
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 25, Con 22, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 17
Skills: Hide +11, Listen +4, Move Silently +11, Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Stealthy , Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate hills
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4–6 HD (Medium); 7–9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: 10

And 24 skill points. It mainly depends on what special qualities and attacks from MoL you choose. I'd advise picking the option that gives you 5th level cleric casting and the Protection, Strength, and War domains. And maybe the permanent spell turning special quality.

WeaselGuy
2015-10-18, 07:57 PM
There's also Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, and Great Fortitude as bonus feats from Monster of Legend.

I really do think the Cleric casting option is probably the best one there. Also, I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure MoL only gives 1 extra Special attack... For Special Qualities, how does Spell Turning and Haste sound?

Bad Wolf
2015-10-18, 08:24 PM
There's also Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, and Great Fortitude as bonus feats from Monster of Legend.

I really do think the Cleric casting option is probably the best one there. Also, I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure MoL only gives 1 extra Special attack... For Special Qualities, how does Spell Turning and Haste sound?

Great Fortitiude and Power Attack are from the Minotaur base creature used in the example, but the other two are correct.

Right, one attack and two qualities. With Haste, you have a 70 foot ground speed. Also, you get a +4 bonus on Jump checks for every 10 feet beyond 30. So you have a Jump modifier of +27. Spell Turning means you only have to watch out for area and touch spells, so get Improved Evasion somehow and stay the heck away from people.

At ECL 20, you'd have 12th level cleric casting. Which isn't ideal, but you'd pick something more sensible if you wanted something playable.

FocusWolf413
2015-10-18, 08:50 PM
If the dex is 25, why is there only a +4 dex mod to ac?

WeaselGuy
2015-10-18, 08:55 PM
Great Fortitiude and Power Attack are from the Minotaur base creature used in the example, but the other two are correct.
Hmm, from the way I read the MM2 3.5 update, it made it seem like GF and PA were included, but I initially was of the same inclination as you.

so get Improved Evasion somehow and stay the heck away from people.
Thoughts on where to get Improved Evasion, and make it stay useful?

At ECL 20, you'd have 12th level cleric casting. Which isn't ideal, but you'd pick something more sensible if you wanted something playable.

After somehow picking up Improved Evasion, I'm pretty sure I'd be even lower than 12th level Cleric casting. Thoughts on what can be done with 2 levels of Rogue or Monk and 5 CL of Cleric?

If the dex is 25, why is there only a +4 dex mod to ac?
The same reason the Hit Points are 3d8+6, when it should be 3d10+18 (MoL ups the hit die to d8, and Half Dragon ups it to d10. With a Con mod of +6, you get 18 hp over 3 levels instead of just 6).