PDA

View Full Version : Mimics lost Intelligence in 5e?

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-18, 08:57 PM
Just browsing through the Monster Manual and I noticed that Mimics now have an Intelligence score of 5 instead of the 10 they enjoyed back in 3.5 (I've skipped 4th Edition, so maybe the change happened then). They also lost their ability to speak as well. I'm aware that these were aspects of the creature that were rarely used, but I've always liked them (and yeah, I know I can give them back as DM if I so desire).

Has there been any reasoning provided? Am I late to the party and this is old news?

Silavor
2015-10-18, 09:42 PM
Griffons also lost their intelligence and language capabilities. I guess Int is so much of a dump stat in 5e that even the monsters dump it now.

Strill
2015-10-18, 09:53 PM
It seems to be a trend. Familiars are no longer intelligent either.

Kane0
2015-10-18, 09:53 PM
Could always bring back greater mimics that have a higher int. I've always chuckled at the idea of a chamber that eats its residents.

Milo v3
2015-10-18, 11:07 PM
It seems to be a trend. Familiars are no longer intelligent either.

Wait... then what's the point of them over getting a normal pet? Are mages just delusional thinking that their cat is special?

Osrogue
2015-10-18, 11:12 PM
Wait... then what's the point of them over getting a normal pet? Are mages just delusional thinking that their cat is special?

Sense sharing+renewable resource. I prefer intelligent familiars too.

Osrogue
2015-10-18, 11:14 PM
Griffons also lost their intelligence and language capabilities. I guess Int is so much of a dump stat in 5e that even the monsters dump it now.

Intelligent mounts are treated differently by the rules than unintelligent mounts. Intelligent mounts are essentially DM controlled NPCs. For people who actually want to ride griffons, they need to be unintelligent.

Safety Sword
2015-10-18, 11:43 PM
The great thing about D&D though: If you're the DM you can just do what you like. Change it back if you feel you need to.

JAL_1138
2015-10-18, 11:55 PM

You're assuming a mage is going to get anywhere near a housecat, much less have one as a familiar, after what happened to his great-granddad back in CY 576.

Safety Sword
2015-10-18, 11:56 PM
You're assuming a mage is going to get anywhere near a housecat, much less have one as a familiar, after what happened to his great-granddad back in CY 576.

I giggled. Out loud. At work. :smallbiggrin:

Strill
2015-10-19, 12:16 AM

They obey your exact orders, you can command them telepathically, they are immortal, and you can see through their senses.

Malifice
2015-10-19, 12:42 AM
Otyughs got their own language too.

Flashy
2015-10-19, 02:02 AM

It's a spell that summons a spirit in the form of an animal now, rather than an actual pet. You can change the form, re-summon it if it dies, and actually project your consciousness to use its senses instead of your own.

Regitnui
2015-10-19, 02:06 AM
I think it's because of the old joke of adventurers being the real monsters in the setting; wandering around and killing sentient beings with a language and culture of their own simply because they aren't attractive bipeds with autumnal skin tones. Earlier editions of D&D have engrained that essential irony into RPGs to the point where TESV: Skyrim hung a lampshade on it. Dragons are rapacious, terrifying beasts that live to conquer and subjugate and whose society is built on the biggest and strongest being right. The game then turns around and tells you you're a dragon-soul too, so you're also a vicious rampaging monster with a thirst for conquest and looting, but nobody cares since you're humanoid and leave decent people (most named NPCs) alone while destroying criminals and monsters.

D&D making monsters more animalistic takes this paradox away, or lessens it. These creatures are just attacking you because they see you as food, not because you're committing trespassing or murder/genocide on them and everyone they ever knew from childhood. Nope, nice, safe, morally unambiguous predation here.

Ardantis
2015-10-19, 09:47 PM
I think unintelligent familiars was also designed to make the Warlock of the Chain familiar remarkable by comparison. Also you'd have to be some sort of weird Pact-bound 'being' to form such a close relationship with a magical outsider. Today Wizards are too bright and cuddly for that.

Seriously, Warlocks as a core base class seriously impact the flavor of other spellcasters.

Mrmox42
2015-10-20, 03:13 AM
Otyughs got their own language too.

I Wonder what Otyugh-speak sounds like :smalltongue:

Talakeal
2015-10-20, 03:28 AM

I believe the consensus was that otyughs are the lolcats of the d&d world, they speak a debased form of common with atrocious (albeit adorable) spelling and grammar.

Malifice
2015-10-20, 03:56 AM

A lot of tentacle waving I imagine.

Mrmox42
2015-10-20, 07:20 AM
Tentacle waving and farting-sounds, most likely :smallcool:

Regitnui
2015-10-20, 09:07 AM
"Ay luvz the garbadge. Om nom. Gimme moar garbadge."

Ardantis
2015-10-20, 11:09 AM
"Ay luvz the garbadge. Om nom. Gimme moar garbadge."

This. Just this.

DigoDragon
2015-10-20, 11:11 AM

"They were an ancient and advanced civilization that communicated in farts."
"What caused their extinction?"
"They discovered fire."

Hawkstar
2015-10-20, 11:20 AM
Dammit... where is that quote originally from?

Joe the Rat
2015-10-20, 11:35 AM
Huh, lookit that, Average (8-10) intelligence back in 2. I think what it comes down to is they were used more like the Semi (2-4) intelligence killer mimics and not the rational negotiators, so they made that the default.

Nothing stops you from making an intelligent and articulate mimic. I'd have one pretend to be a talking statue.

DigoDragon
2015-10-20, 11:57 AM
Dammit... where is that quote originally from?

If I remember it correctly, it's from the Doctor Who parody Curse of the Fatal Death (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM).

Sredni Vashtar
2015-10-20, 07:13 PM
Huh, lookit that, Average (8-10) intelligence back in 2. I think what it comes down to is they were used more like the Semi (2-4) intelligence killer mimics and not the rational negotiators, so they made that the default.

Nothing stops you from making an intelligent and articulate mimic. I'd have one pretend to be a talking statue.

I've actually been toying with using one as a BBEG, dealing with underlings as a statue draped in cloaks and robes to disguise it.