PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ranged DPR Ideas

BTB
2015-10-18, 09:29 PM
Hey I'm playing in what I'm fairly sure isn't a horribly high power party and we need a solid source of ranged DPR. I'm starting at level 3 and I'm frankly kind of sick of archers and blasters. I've built too many of both. But when I go looking support for thrown weapons seems abysmal, and I worry that if I build a rnaged magus to the degree to which I normally build magus, I'm either going to do too much damage or step on our witches toes if I go the debuff route. I'm really trying to just think of creative ranged characters I might actually enjoy for a long term campaign.

stack
2015-10-18, 09:54 PM
Well, I suppose a captain America style brawler throwing his shield might be different enough for you? There is enough to make throwing work there, but you are several levels shy of a few handy items (belt of mighty hurling, for example).

Any third party availible?

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-10-18, 09:59 PM
Ranged damage... you said you were tired of archers and blasters. Since I'm assuming kineticists can fit into the latter category, how about a gunslinger or a flying blade swashbuckler? The latter is one of the better thrown weapons classes I hear. Alchemists too, if you don't mind straying too close to a blaster.

The problem with this is that ranged damage comes down to basically one of those categories; it's a bit hard to vary to much from 'shoot things' and 'boom'.

Tohsaka Rin
2015-10-18, 09:59 PM
I suggest looking at page 4 of the forum, at the Dreamscarred Press Soulknife page, as they've got a nifty class variant in there that uses a cloud of floating, mentally-controlled weapons to fight, and you can fling 'em with your mind, too.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/13/134858/2765395-Gilgamesh.jpg

A bit like this, actually.

BTB
2015-10-18, 10:18 PM
I can probably sell the DM on psionics, and I'll look into flying blade and brawler. I never got super into the ACG so I missed a lot there. And Kineticist is a decent idea, blaster is mostly because I know how to build tehm well enough that I'm either too strong or feel like I'm not living up to my potential. A lot of good ideas here though, thanks.

Psyren
2015-10-19, 03:54 AM
Sling gets a fair amount of support in PF as well, has much longer range than thrown weapons and you still add Str to damage. Think of it as a composite bow with no cap.