PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] One handed Reach Weapon.

D4rkh0rus
2015-10-18, 10:15 PM
Hi playground!
In my search of making a sword and board character (due to coolness factor) I came upon a bit of a roadblock, I want to give the character most of the special combat goodies (tripping, AoO, Disarming, etc) but I also wanna hold a shield (yeah, IK animated exists, but... Meh, Doesn't look as cool to me imo).

I remember reading of a one handed reach weapon, like Ivy's Sword from soul calibur, but... I cant remember what it was. Does anyone know?

OldTrees1
2015-10-18, 10:43 PM
Kusari Gama in the DMG is a Light Spiked Chain for some reason.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-10-18, 10:43 PM
Kusari-gama from the DMG extra weapons, exotic light spiked chain pretty much and Spinning Swords from Secrets of Sarlona, this one is onehanded, but I can't recall if it can be used vs. adjacent enemies

Jowgen
2015-10-18, 11:28 PM
+1 for spinning sword (does threaten adjacent). They're way cool. I mean, what other weapon can you finesse, PA, one hand AND wear as a belt :smallwink:

Also, might I humbly recommned the Fiendish Long Arm graft from Fiend folio for extra natural reach? In fact, I'll just link the melee combo guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?127026-3-X-Person-Man-s-Guide-to-Melee-Combos) for reference, since there's bound to be something relevant to what you want to do in there.

Bucky
2015-10-18, 11:30 PM
Whips also work, but deal nonlethal damage only and don't get AoOs.

StreamOfTheSky
2015-10-18, 11:35 PM
There's also the lance, if mounted.

Whips also work, but deal nonlethal damage only and don't get AoOs.

Use a whip-dagger instead. I think it's in arms and equipment guide? There might also be a "bladed whip" or "scorpion whip" somewhere.
Whips aren't true reach weapons, though. They hit further away, but provoke AoOs and don't threaten for them, either.

D4rkh0rus
2015-10-18, 11:52 PM
Kusari gama is almost perfect, but I want to PA with the weapon, I think the spinning sword was it, but I don't have secrets of sarlona to check just what it does... ><

Rubik
2015-10-18, 11:58 PM
Kusari gama is almost perfect, but I want to PA with the weapon, I think the spinning sword was it, but I don't have secrets of sarlona to check just what it does... ><One-handed exotic reach weapon, looks like a whip with three flexible steel coils attached to a handle. Threatens both at reach and adjacent. Can be worn as a belt, with the handle used as a buckle; DC 15 Search check is required to find it on your person, with a +6 bonus to the DC if Sleight of Hand is used to hide it. Cannot be wielded 2-handed, but can be Finessed. 50 gp, 1d6 slashing 19-20/x2 for a medium character.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-10-19, 12:00 AM
If you can spare a level and some skill points, you might want to dip a level into Exotic weapon master for the Uncanny Blow stunt so you get 2:1 returns on your sniping sword.

Jowgen
2015-10-19, 12:02 AM
One-handed exotic reach weapon, looks like a whip with three flexible steel coils attached to a handle. Threatens both at reach and adjacent. Can be worn as a belt, with the handle used as a buckle; DC 15 Search check is required to find it on your person, with a +6 bonus to the DC if Sleight of Hand is used to hide it. Cannot be wielded 2-handed. 50 gp, 1d6 slashing 19-20/x2 for a medium character.

Minor correction, it "can't be wielded in two hands to apply 1-1/2 times a character's strenght bonus on damage rolls". That's very specific. You can still 2-hand it like any other 1-handed weapon, you just don't get more strenght bonus damage. Power Attack 2-handed for extra power attack damage, for example, still works fine as written.

EDIT: Also, in case you wanna really save feats, the Exotist Fighter variant from Dragno 310 gives a bunch of exotic proficiencies. Might be worth checking out if it's on the table.

D4rkh0rus
2015-10-19, 10:49 AM
Thank you very much for the information guys! :P

Fouredged Sword
2015-10-19, 12:00 PM
There is also the Shield and Pike feat that allows you to wield a piercing reach two handed weapon AND a light shield. This allows you to get all the nice 1.5X str and bonuses to trip ect while wielding a shield.