PDA

View Full Version : Lv. 1 with 27 AC.

Vulgosh
2007-05-23, 02:51 PM
Kolbod with 20 dex, chain mail, Large steel sheild, size, natural armor, fighting defensively, combat experties, and dodge. ( I know its only against one opponet, and only in combat.

Droodle
2007-05-23, 02:58 PM
Wouldn't the 20 dex Kobold be better off in studded leather or a masterwork chain shirt?

Vulgosh
2007-05-23, 03:01 PM
Wouldn't the 20 dex Kobold be better off in studded leather or a masterwork chain shirt?

Well for the master work shirt you proabaly need to be over level 1 before you get enough money. But I have forgoten the max dex for chain mail.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-23, 03:02 PM
And you have -5 to hit.

Vulgosh
2007-05-23, 03:03 PM
And you have -5 to hit.

Be a fighter or cleric.

Jasdoif
2007-05-23, 03:12 PM
Wouldn't the 20 dex Kobold be better off in studded leather or a masterwork chain shirt?Masterwork armor only decreases the armor check penalty; max dex isn't affected.

Be a fighter or cleric.I dunno, that -5 to hit at first level sounds like a really bad idea for those classes at 1st level. What's the cleric going to do, cast summon monster I and hope the monster scores a crit in its single round?

Seffbasilisk
2007-05-23, 03:22 PM
Here come the swarm of two-word responses

Nat 20.
Magic Missile.
Brilliant Energy.
Pit Trap.
Climb Check.
Jump Check.
Swim Check.
Repel Metal
Shocking Grasp.
Ethereal Creature.

bosssmiley
2007-05-23, 03:38 PM
(in the spirit of the above post):

Big magnet.

martyboy74
2007-05-23, 03:46 PM

Nat 20.
Magic Missile.
Brilliant Energy.
Pit Trap.
Climb Check.
Jump Check.
Swim Check.
Repel Metal
Shocking Grasp.
Ethereal Creature.

Responses (N/A means no good response):

N/A
It deals a whole 1d4 points. If they actually deal enough to kill you, they're out of spells
First level character
N/A
Rope
Take off the chainmail, climb, put it back on
Ditto
First Level (and reality)
N/A, slight Magic Missile-ness
First Level

For the record, I also think that this is an extremely silly character.

melchizedek
2007-05-23, 03:49 PM
The problem with any high AC build is that, while it can stay alive, it isn't actually useful. This build in particular can do almost nothing besides stay alive. (This would depend slightly on class choices, but really, it wouldn't matter much.) Congratulations, you've created a character that other people have no reason to want to attack. After all, it can't hit them, and they can't hit it. They might as well just ignore it.

And, unless I'm missing something, how does a 1st level kobold have both combat expertise and dodge?

Indon
2007-05-23, 03:53 PM
The problem with any high AC build is that, while it can stay alive, it isn't actually useful. This build in particular can do almost nothing besides stay alive. (This would depend slightly on class choices, but really, it wouldn't matter much.) Congratulations, you've created a character that other people have no reason to want to attack. After all, it can't hit them, and they can't hit it. They might as well just ignore it.

Take Shock Trooper at level 3, then at least you can get some impressive charges, and hey, you're still well-defended.

And, unless I'm missing something, how does a 1st level kobold have both combat expertise and dodge?

I would assume either a level of Fighter, or a flaw.

Foolosophy
2007-05-23, 03:59 PM
Take Shock Trooper at level 3

BAB 6 req....

lord_khaine
2007-05-23, 03:59 PM
check the math, +5 armor, +2 dex, +1 nat armor, +1 size, +1 dodge, +1 size,
+1 expertice and +2 fighting defensive gives 24 in ac.
you forgot the max dex bonus of the chain mail.

swich the chain mail for a chain shirt, stop fighting defensive and you could get avay with 23 in ac, for only -1 to hit at first lv.

Indon
2007-05-23, 04:00 PM
BAB 6 req....

Then either take it at level 6, or be the best level 3 character ever.

Shock Trooper has Power Attack as a prereq anyway, iirc, so you'd have to take that first.

Behold_the_Void
2007-05-23, 04:13 PM
If it's a fighter it can have two feats, but that just means it's useless as it can't hit anything. Remember, you have to be attacking to fight defensively and use Combat Expertise. Speaking of which, Combat Expertise does not allow you to exceed your BAB, which would be 1. And as a Kobold, your strength is piss poor so you're likely sporting a -2 or so to hit, and won't do any damage anyway.

Diggorian
2007-05-23, 04:41 PM
I dont believe that fighting defensive and Combat Expertise can be used together. Checked the FAQ, couldnt find anything on it. From the description of the feat, fighting defensive is what ya do if ya dont have Expertise. They're the same concept but one does it better with the feat.

If I'm Orc NPC facing Cocky Kobold, after I miss badly with my crusty axe I'm going to grapple half pint. Draw an AoO, sure, but he's got so many minuses I'll risk it. Then serve up some knuckle sandwich, extra hairy.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-23, 04:46 PM
You're a Kobold, maxed out for Combat? I like your Gumption!

Aquillion
2007-05-23, 04:49 PM
You could accomplish as much by playing a level 1 large, heavy rock. Nobody will be able to kill you, but who cares?

Indon
2007-05-23, 04:52 PM
You could accomplish as much by playing a level 1 large, heavy rock. Nobody will be able to kill you, but who cares?

Yes, but nobody has to roll the kobold places.

I mean, I envision the pin cushion to be a pretty good scout. "Hey, we need to get the relic out of the infested cave. We could send in the rogue... hey, Kobold, how fast can you run?"

Sprinting grants an AC bonus, if I recall.

Vulgosh
2007-05-23, 05:17 PM

This character idea is most likely going to be just an Npc, but the idea is that the kolbod is a first level fighter.

Miles Invictus
2007-05-23, 05:20 PM
Unless Sprint != Run, you actually lose your Dex bonus to AC. Without the Run feat, anyway.

Also, I thought Combat Expertise replaced Defensive Fighting/Total Defense. (Don't know if that's RAW, but it makes more sense.)

Vulgosh
2007-05-23, 05:22 PM
Alright for the attack problem you cuold either wait until level 2 or replace one of the feats for weapon finess, for the grapple problem buy spiked armor and for the cost and max dex problem how about studded leather (suggested earlier.)

Indon
2007-05-23, 06:00 PM
Unless Sprint != Run, you actually lose your Dex bonus to AC. Without the Run feat, anyway.

Oh, man. I'm confusing D&D and Battletech again, I guess... ("What do you mean I can't have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Gauss Rifle?")

Darrin
2007-05-24, 06:38 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just take a LA 0 Tiefling/Aasimar, 1 level of Sorcerer, Precocious Apprentice (Alter Self), and then change into a Dwarf Ancestor? High dex, studded leather/chain shirt, and a heavy shield would get you an AC of 38.

Fourth Tempter
2007-05-24, 06:49 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just take a LA 0 Tiefling/Aasimar, 1 level of Sorcerer, Precocious Apprentice (Alter Self), and then change into a Dwarf Ancestor? High dex, studded leather/chain shirt, and a heavy shield would get you an AC of 38.

Alter Self is limited by Hit Dice. You would need five of them to Alter Self into a Dwarf Ancestor.

Matthew
2007-05-24, 09:05 AM
I dont believe that fighting defensive and Combat Expertise can be used together. Checked the FAQ, couldnt find anything on it. From the description of the feat, fighting defensive is what ya do if ya dont have Expertise. They're the same concept but one does it better with the feat.
They stack in 3.5, but they didn't used to in 3.0. I cannot find anything explicitly allowing it in the SRD or FAQ, but nor can I find anything specifically prohibiting it. Given that both are Dodge Bonuses and take place as part of an Attack Action, though, there's no reason why they wouldn't.

This topic has reared it's head time and time again. Armour Class 27 at Level 1 is no big deal, especially when you cannot even hit anything. An Elf with Dexterity (+2), a Mail Shirt (+4), a Heavy Shield (+2) and Total Defence (+4) has an Armour Class of 22 without any Feats. There are builds much cheesier than this out there...

elliott20
2007-05-24, 10:02 AM
they do stack.

according to the RAW, dodge bonuses always stack. And since fighting defensively and combat expertise both offer that kind of bonus, they stack.

But from another way of looking at it, consider this:

fighting defensively and full defense are mentalities. They are tactics that ANYONE can use, not just a fighter with combat expertise.

Combat expertise, on the other hand, is a feat and that means it requires special training to use. It is a specially trained tactic and technique.

As such, while the mechanical purpose and end result is similar, the source of it is different.

Also, if you don't let them stack, you punish the people who pick combat expertise. At least, until they hit level 2-3.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-05-24, 10:30 AM
Kolbod with 20 dex, chain mail, Large steel sheild, size, natural armor, fighting defensively, combat experties, and dodge. ( I know its only against one opponet, and only in combat.

As has been pointed out, the math is off because chain mail max dex is +2. Here's a more cost effective and efficient way to maximize him (assuming lvl 1 Fighter, or lvl 4 warrior - both are CR 1... warrior is the better option overall with more HP and BaB as both are proficient with all armor and shields) without giving hideous penalties:

Studded Leather: +3
Dex: +5
Size: +1
Natural Armor: +1
Tower Shield: +4
Combat Expertise: +1
Dodge: +1
Total: 26 AC, with a -3 to attack

Better option?:

Studded Leather: +3
Dex: +5
Size: +1
Natural Armor: +1
Tower Shield: +4
Sield Spec: +1
Total: 25 AC, with a +5 to attack with weapon finesse and a light or rapier weapon, or 27 AC +1 to attack fighting defensively (if a 4th level warrior, attack bonus is +10, +6 fighting defensively)

Person_Man
2007-05-24, 11:59 AM
Here's a superior Kobold melee build:

Level 1 Barbarian

Use the variant racial rules for kobolds (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:PdrEHFFWZrcJ:www.wizards.com/default.asp%3Fx%3Ddnd/we/20060420a+kobold+racial+variant&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a) (get 2 claws and a bite attack)

Use Ferocity rage variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) (+4 Str and +4 Dex when in Rage) or Whirling Frenzy (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedClasses.html) (extra attack).

Use Pounce variant from Complete Champion (sacrificing Fast Movement for it).

Feats: Touch of Golden Ice: Evil enemies must Save or take 1d4 Dex damage whenever you hit them with a natural weapon. Dragon Tail (gain tail attack), you need to take a Flaw though.

Your AC will be decent. You'll make 4 or 5 attacks, including a full attack at the end of a charge.

At high levels, follow the Power Attack tree, remembering that Power Attack applies to all natural weapons. Stay in full BAB classes. Buy grafts or use class abilities/spells to get more natural attacks. Take Improved Multi-Attack so that your secondary natural attacks have a -0 modifier.

Deadly from low levels, staying competitive in any setting up until the time your full caster friends get spells that can kill you or stop you in one round.

You don't need high AC if your enemies are dead. You just need respectable AC and hit points. No combat should last more then 1 round per enemy divided by the number of PC's.

SpatulaOfDoom
2007-05-24, 12:38 PM
Counters to your kobold

Level 1 human barbarian with improved grapple grabs your kobold and strangles him to death.

Level 1 Orc barbarian with 22str 26 when raging and the reckless offense feat and a flaw for weapon focus. +11 to attack normaly +13 when charging. He may still have a harder time hitting you than you hitting him but it'll be a one shot kill if he does and you'll probably have to hit him 3 or more times to take him down (small size, -4 str, and Str obviously isn't your primary stat)

Thoughtbot360
2007-05-24, 01:27 PM
Be a fighter or cleric.

If you're a cleric be sure to pick up the magic domain so you can buy scrolls of mage armor and a 1st-level wand of shield for more cheesiness. Also studded leather armor is at least, a good temporary solution until you can afford masterwork armor.

Nat 20.
Magic Missile.
Brilliant Energy.
Pit Trap.
Climb Check.
Jump Check.
Swim Check.
Repel Metal
Shocking Grasp.
Ethereal Creature.

*watches as Vulgosh is riddled with machine gun bullets, and each bullet inscribed with the words Nat 20, Magic Missile, Pit Trap, etc....*

Roderick_BR
2007-05-24, 01:31 PM
Drop the dodge feat and be a first level rogue. That way you can survive fights because you don't want to fight.
Really, I have a friend that keeps making impossible to hit rogues.
I tell him "but you won't be hitting anything with it"
And he always replies "I'm a rogue, I want to ESCAPE from the battle"

Person_Man
2007-05-24, 02:27 PM
Counters to your kobold

Level 1 human barbarian with improved grapple grabs your kobold and strangles him to death.

Level 1 Orc barbarian with 22str 26 when raging and the reckless offense feat and a flaw for weapon focus. +11 to attack normaly +13 when charging. He may still have a harder time hitting you than you hitting him but it'll be a one shot kill if he does and you'll probably have to hit him 3 or more times to take him down (small size, -4 str, and Str obviously isn't your primary stat)

So, whoever wins Initiative wins combat, pretty much like the rest of D&D. Though with high Dex, the Kobold would have a slight edge on that.

Diggorian
2007-05-24, 04:53 PM
they do stack.

according to the RAW, dodge bonuses always stack. And since fighting defensively and combat expertise both offer that kind of bonus, they stack.

You had me here. Yeah, they'll stack. I think Expertise should really provide a competence bonus given the nature of the feat. It'll still stack with fight defensive, but I dont care enough to houserule it.

Was mainly surprised I didnt realize it with my high AC tank PC. That's another +2 on AC he needs.

PerpetualNewb
2007-05-24, 05:09 PM
If you're a cleric be sure to pick up the magic domain so you can buy scrolls of mage armor and a 1st-level wand of shield for more cheesiness. Also studded leather armor is at least, a good temporary solution until you can afford masterwork armor.

Mage Armor provides an Armor Bonus. I didn't think it would stack with the Armor Bonus granted by the armor you'd be wearing as a Cleric...

Armads
2007-05-29, 02:50 AM
How about this
Kobold Binder 1 (with the weird vestige that lets you call full plate) and a tower shield, using total defense
Base: 10
Size modifier: +1
Armor bonus: +8
Shield bonus: +4
Dex modifier: +1
Dodge Target: +1
Nat armor: +1
Total Defense: +4

AC: 30

Vulgosh
2007-05-29, 10:30 AM
How about this
Kobold Binder 1 (with the weird vestige that lets you call full plate) and a tower shield, using total defense
Base: 10
Size modifier: +1
Armor bonus: +8
Shield bonus: +4
Dex modifier: +1
Dodge Target: +1
Nat armor: +1
Total Defense: +4

AC: 30

The idea was to make a level one character with high AC and to have Full plate you would probably be need to be higher level.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-29, 10:38 AM
He called the full plate with a vestige. It's temporary and free.

Behold_the_Void
2007-05-29, 10:40 AM
The idea was to make a level one character with high AC and to have Full plate you would probably be need to be higher level.

But the Binder Vestige gives it to him at level one, supposedly, so I don't see the problem.

fangthane
2007-05-29, 11:25 AM
One word with respect to the AC cheese...

Stirges.

Touch attack +7.

Stirges would suck the kobold dry. Or wait until he's leveled and send a Vargouille at him. Lousy hit points they may have, but his will save's not so hot either.

JungeonJeff
2007-05-29, 11:40 AM
Here's a superior Kobold melee build:

Level 1 Barbarian

Use the variant racial rules for kobolds (http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:PdrEHFFWZrcJ:www.wizards.com/default.asp%3Fx%3Ddnd/we/20060420a+kobold+racial+variant&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a) (get 2 claws and a bite attack)

Use Ferocity rage variant (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) (+4 Str and +4 Dex when in Rage) or Whirling Frenzy (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedClasses.html) (extra attack).

Use Pounce variant from Complete Champion (sacrificing Fast Movement for it).

Feats: Touch of Golden Ice: Evil enemies must Save or take 1d4 Dex damage whenever you hit them with a natural weapon. Dragon Tail (gain tail attack), you need to take a Flaw though.

Your AC will be decent. You'll make 4 or 5 attacks, including a full attack at the end of a charge.

At high levels, follow the Power Attack tree, remembering that Power Attack applies to all natural weapons. Stay in full BAB classes. Buy grafts or use class abilities/spells to get more natural attacks. Take Improved Multi-Attack so that your secondary natural attacks have a -0 modifier.

Deadly from low levels, staying competitive in any setting up until the time your full caster friends get spells that can kill you or stop you in one round.

You don't need high AC if your enemies are dead. You just need respectable AC and hit points. No combat should last more then 1 round per enemy divided by the number of PC's.

Nice build (although my GM would hit me for using that many variants), but it strikes me odd to have a Kobold thats Chaotic Good! -I mean, arnt they suppossed to be Lawful Evil? -I know "going against the flow" can make an interesting character, but isnt this a bit much :P

Helgraf
2007-05-29, 11:44 AM
Mage Armor provides an Armor Bonus. I didn't think it would stack with the Armor Bonus granted by the armor you'd be wearing as a Cleric...

In fact, this is correct. Mage Armor does not stack with any other armor bonus (such as real armor, or bracers of armor, or even the psionic power that gives an armor bonus).

And Shield won't stack if you're already getting a shield bonus from, say, a shield.

In both cases you'll only get the better of the two bonuses.

Person_Man
2007-05-29, 12:57 PM
Nice build (although my GM would hit me for using that many variants), but it strikes me odd to have a Kobold thats Chaotic Good! -I mean, arnt they suppossed to be Lawful Evil? -I know "going against the flow" can make an interesting character, but isnt this a bit much :P

Kobolds are only "usually" Lawful Evil. But its pretty common for PC's to play Drizzt like Chaotic Good characters that rebel against their Evil societies, to the point where its a cliche, and the truly "original" PC's will actually play the suggested alignment of their races.

On variants, I would simply say that full casters are so much more powerful then melee builds, that I pretty much allow anything for them. "Wow, your Barbarian has Pounce. My core only Wizard can kill everyone on the battlefield while standing a football field away. So obviously, you're Barbarian is overpowered."

JungeonJeff
2007-05-29, 06:36 PM
Kobolds are only "usually" Lawful Evil. But its pretty common for PC's to play Drizzt like Chaotic Good characters that rebel against their Evil societies, to the point where its a cliche, and the truly "original" PC's will actually play the suggested alignment of their races.

Hear hear! -half our table are usually "exile's" of some sort, which gets... well at least you would think.. -old, at some point.

On variants, I would simply say that full casters are so much more powerful then melee builds, that I pretty much allow anything for them. "Wow, your Barbarian has Pounce. My core only Wizard can kill everyone on the battlefield while standing a football field away. So obviously, you're Barbarian is overpowered."

The forum(s) seems to be leaning towards melee'er lacking against spellcasters, and I can see why, and therefor im happy our little group almost never plays super-paranoid spellcaster, with knowledge of every spell in every book ;). This makes, the normally good argument, a bit ineffective at our table. But leaving out rage-vaiants, I would sure still try and fir in the Tiger/Wolf Totem variant in most Barbarian containing build.

Laurellien
2007-05-29, 07:07 PM
Play a Germlaine instead, they're tiny.

FdL
2007-05-29, 08:03 PM

Nat 20.
Magic Missile.
Brilliant Energy.
Pit Trap.
Climb Check.
Jump Check.
Swim Check.
Repel Metal
Shocking Grasp.
Ethereal Creature.

Better yet, but encompassing all those: two letter response: DM.

Laurellien
2007-05-29, 08:11 PM
Touch spells and area effect spells will own you. As will save or sucks like sleep.