PDA

View Full Version : Double Weapon + Weapon Finesse = ???

KIDS
2007-05-23, 04:54 PM
Having searched through the various forums and google, I can't find an answer to this....

If using a double weapon (which is a two-handed weapon as classified) "counts as using a one handed and a light weapon", how does Weapon Finesse interact with it? Can I apply dex bonus from weapon finesse to attacks with only the second attack from the double weapon, only the first, both or none? Which part of it trumps which one? Specifically, if I could use a Two-Bladed Sword or something basing myself off only DEX, it would be a great boon, so I need to know how this works.

Thanks in advance.

Jasdoif
2007-05-23, 05:05 PM
If you're using both ends of the weapon, you attack as though two-weapon fighting with a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. You can finesse with the offhand end, just like you can with any light weapon.

If you're using only one end of the weapon, you attack as though using a two-handed weapon.

Is a double weapon considered a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon plus a light weapon, for the purposes of feats such as Weapon Finesse and Power Attack?

A double weapon can be wielded in two ways, either as a one-handed weapon and a light weapon, or as a single twohanded weapon. Either way, it follows the normal rules for using such weapons.

Wielding as Two Weapons: The primary end (the “onehanded weapon”) adds your Strength modifier to damage, and the secondary end (the “light weapon”) adds one-half your Strength bonus to damage. When using Power Attack, bonus damage applies only to the primary end. If you have Weapon Finesse, you may add your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with the secondary end (but not with the primary end).

Wielding as One Weapon: Add one-and-one-half your Strength bonus to damage rolls. When using Power Attack, double the bonus damage granted by the feat.

The Sage strongly recommends that characters who wield double weapons record attack and damage values for both methods of use, to speed play.

Arbitrarity
2007-05-23, 05:15 PM
I really like the IH take on double weapons, with 1 1/2 STR being applied to all attacks. Makes them actually worth a feat.

And since you have no dwarves/gnomes, no urgoshes/hooked hammers without a feat!

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-23, 05:17 PM
I really like the IH take on double weapons, with 1 1/2 STR being applied to all attacks. Makes them actually worth a feat.

And since you have no dwarves/gnomes, no urgoshes/hooked hammers without a feat!

Or you could just use a Greatsword for the same effect and do more damage.