PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Edition Dual and Multi Classing

Jimp
2007-05-23, 05:22 PM
I'm going to be playing a 2nd edition game (first in a loooong time) for my friend's birthday soon but I've run into a problem with making my character.
He said he's starting us at 3rd level. I want to play either a dual classed human Kensai/Mage or a multi classed elven Theif/Mage (depends on our party's 4th member). The problem is that I'm not entirely sure how to split the levels between the two classes since in 2nd edition each class has a different EXP requirement. I've never tried a multi classed character in 2nd edition before so that's why it's only a problem now.
I already asked my friend (who's DMing) and he said that he can't figure it out.

Any help?

Dhavaer
2007-05-23, 05:30 PM
My only experience with 2ed was Baldur's Gate, so this might not be accurate.
In any case, it seems as though you split all the XP you get between the two classes, and they level up seperately at their normal rates. It works out that a thief/mage will generally end up with a thief level 1 higher than their mage level. I think it does something to hit point gain as well, but I'm not sure.

Glyphic
2007-05-23, 05:31 PM
Second edition is abit funky as far as Dual/ multiclass. Likely, your DM is assigning a value (3000-5000) of exp so -most- characters will be third level. You need to find out how much you have.

Humans can Dual class. Demi-humans can multi class.

Humans adventure to a certain point in one class, then switch to another class. The abilites of the old class cannot be used (without a huge EXP penalty to the encouter) until the new class excedes the old class in both levels and exp. Once that is surpassed, you can use the abilities of either class at whim.
For HP, you gain your first class levels of HD. After switching, you gain no new HP until you go above your old class.

Demi humans multi class; they split their exp evenly between 2 or 3 classes and advance simultaneously in each. Standard rules apply to each class. This means, as of 2nd edition, you can't cast arcane spells while wearing armor (but you could use a shield). You can't move stealthily in mail and above.
For HP, you roll both hit dice of each class, and divide the total by your number of classes, rounding down (minimum of 1 per die).

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-23, 05:32 PM
You get half hp from each class.

Whenever you get XP you XP is split between both classes. XP is always the same in both classes.

You can also tripple class, then you get a third of the hp and XP. It would be a bad idea though and you're limited to Cleric/Fighter/Thief I think.

Glyphic
2007-05-23, 05:35 PM
As far as Multi-class combinations go, it depends on your race.

Only half elven can tripple class. The two options are:

Fighter/mage/Cleric (or druid)

Fighter/mage/thief

Jimp
2007-05-23, 05:42 PM
Alrighty, that clears everything up. Thanks everyone.