PDA

View Full Version : [Template] Psionically Conditioned Creature

Fax Celestis
2007-05-23, 07:09 PM
A psionically conditioned creature is one that has been exposed to repeated uses of psionic dominate, in an effort to "condition" the creature into subservience. These are most often found as the thralls of illithids, though dromites, thri-kreen, and psionic formians of an evil bent also create these creatures. A psionically conditioned creature has a blank, vacant stare, but appears as other members of its race do.

Creating a Psionically Conditioned Creature
Psionically conditioned is an acquired template that can be applied to any intelligent creature susceptible to mind-affecting effects. The psionically conditioned creature (hereafter referred to as the base creature) uses all the same statistics and special abilities except as noted here. The creature's master--when applicable--is the creature that used psionic dominate on the target the most during its conditioning.

Special Attacks
The base creature retains all special attacks that do not rely on Intelligence. The base creature loses any spell-like or psi-like abilities.

Special Qualities
The base creature retains all previous special qualities that do not rely on Intelligence and gains the following:

Hive Mind (Ex): All psionically conditioned creatures within 50 miles of each other and their masters are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No psionically conditioned creature in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.

Dominated (Ex): A psionically conditioned creature is considered constantly dominated by its master, and finds no activity too dangerous to perform. Similarly, it only will perform actions as commanded, even if such actions would normally go outside their typical behavior. If the link is severed with the hive mind and their master, the psionically conditioned creature has a 50% chance to attempt to take its own life. If it does not, it merely becomes catatonic until back within range of its original hive mind or its master.

Amnesia (Ex): A psionically conditioned creature does not have memory of the time before its conditioning process.

One Of The Many (Ex): A psionically conditioned creature gains a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, checks, and saves while within 100' of either its master or another psionically conditioned creature. Similarly, it receives a -2 penalty to attack rolls, checks, and saves while not within 100' of either its master or another psionically conditioned creature.

Berserk (Ex): When a psionically conditioned creature enters combat, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its conditioning will fray and the creature goes berserk. The uncontrolled creature goes on a rampage, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. The creature's master can try to regain control by speaking firmly and persuasively or attempting to regain control through the hive mind. The former requires a DC 19 Charisma check, while the latter requires a DC 19 Intelligence check. It takes 1 minute of inactivity by the creature to reset the berserk chance to 0%. If one creature in a hive mind goes berserk, there is a 20% chance that those within 100' of it will also immediately enter into a berserk state. If a creature's master dies within 100' of it, it has a 25% chance to immediately fly into a berserk rage.

Saves
A psionically conditioned creature gets a +6 resistance bonus to saves to resist mind-affecting effects that do not originate from the creature's master or within the hive mind. Similarly, a psionically conditioned creature receives a -6 penalty to resist mind-affecting effects that originate within the hive mind or from the creature's master.

Abilities
The base creature alters its ability scores as follows: Strength +2, Constitution +2, Intelligence -6 (minimum 1), Wisdom -2 (minimum 1), Charisma -4 (minimum 1)

Skills
The base creature cannot use Intelligence or Charisma-based skills.

Feats and Spells
The base creature retains all feats it still qualifies for, but loses any spellcasting ability or psionic powers it had.

Alignment
Always partially or totally neutral, and within one step of its master.

Advancement
By type, even if the base creature would normally advance by class.

CR
+0

Level Adjustment
This template is inappropriate for player characters and should not be used for such.

Becoming Psionically Conditioned
Any creature that is repeatedly subjected to psionic dominate can acquire this template. It is, however, at the DM's discretion if (and when) this template is acquired.

Psionically conditioning a creature is a Vile act and causes the psionically conditioned creature's master to move one step towards evil.

Removing the Psionically Conditioned Template
A creature that becomes psionically conditioned remains as such until either its death or until the template is removed. The template can only be removed through the use of a properly-applied wish or miracle spell, or the reality revision psionic power. If the creature perishes with this template and is then brought back to life, it does not lose this template (though it will attempt to take its life as noted under the "Dominated" ability if it is not within the range of the hive mind).

Fax Celestis
2007-05-23, 08:11 PM
Example Creature: Psionically Conditioned Dromite
Dromite, 1st-Level Warrior
Size/Type: Small Monstrous Humanoid (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+1 size, +3 natural armor, +3 studded leather, +1 light shield), touch 11, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or light crossbow +2 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Full Attack: Longsword +4 melee (1d6+1/19-20) or light crossbow +2 ranged (1d6/19-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., resistance to fire 5, scent, hive mind, dominated, amnesia, one of many, berserk
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +0, Will -3*
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 4, Wis 5, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +3
Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword), Blind-FightB
Environment: Underground
Organization: Swarm (4-24)
Challenge Rating: ½
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: As monstrous humanoid
Level Adjustment: --

*A psionically conditioned dromite gets a +6 resistance bonus to saves to resist mind-affecting effects that do not originate from it's master or within the hive mind. Similarly, a psionically conditioned dromite receives a -6 penalty to resist mind-affecting effects that originate within the hive mind or from it's master.

Hive Mind (Ex): All psionically conditioned creatures within 50 miles of the psionically conditioned dromite and his master are in constant communication. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. No psionically conditioned creature in a group is considered flanked unless all of them are.

Dominated (Ex): A psionically conditioned dromite is considered constantly dominated by its master, and finds no activity too dangerous to perform. Similarly, it only will perform actions as commanded, even if such actions would normally go outside their typical behavior. If the link is severed with the hive mind and his master, a psionically conditioned dromite has a 50% chance to attempt to take its own life. If it does not, it merely becomes catatonic until back within range of the hive mind or its master.

Amnesia (Ex): A psionically conditioned dromite does not have memory of the time before its conditioning process.

One Of The Many (Ex): A psionically conditioned dromite gains a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, checks, and saves while within 100' of either its master or another psionically conditioned creature. Similarly, it receives a -2 penalty to attack rolls, checks, and saves while not within 100' of either its master or another psionically conditioned creature.

Berserk (Ex): When a psionically conditioned dromite enters combat, there is a cumulative 1% chance each round that its conditioning will fray and he goes berserk. The uncontrolled creature goes on a rampage, attacking the nearest living creature or smashing some object smaller than itself if no creature is within reach, then moving on to spread more destruction. The dromite's master can try to regain control by speaking firmly and persuasively or attempting to regain control through the hive mind. The former requires a DC 19 Charisma check, while the latter requires a DC 19 Intelligence check. It takes 1 minute of inactivity by a psionically conditioned dromite to reset the berserk chance to 0%. If a psionically conditioned dromite goes berserk, there is a 20% chance that those in the hive mind within 100' of it will also immediately enter into a berserk state. If a psionically conditioned dromite's master dies within 100' of it, it has a 25% chance to immediately fly into a berserk rage.

Winged One
2007-05-23, 08:53 PM
You forgot to have it fixed by reality revision(unless you deliberately made psionics powerless against this for some reason). On that note, do limited wish or bend reality work? Also, you might want to note for those with an extremely Lawful moral compass that making one of these is a Vile act(since it basicly ammounts to destroying the base creature's soul). Finally, this should probably raise the CR at least a bit.

Aside from those nitpicks, this is really good, going strictly by the non-alignment sense of the word. If I ever DM, I might throw some of these at my PCs to establish just how evil my BBEG is.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-23, 08:59 PM
You forgot to have it fixed by reality revision(unless you deliberately made psionics powerless against this for some reason). On that note, do limited wish or bend reality work? Also, you might want to note for those with an extremely Lawful moral compass that making one of these is a Vile act(since it basicly ammounts to destroying the base creature's soul). Finally, this should probably raise the CR at least a bit.

Aside from those nitpicks, this is really good, going strictly by the non-alignment sense of the word. If I ever DM, I might throw some of these at my PCs to establish just how evil my BBEG is.

Point taken, though why would it raise the CR? The creature may be mildly stronger physically, but it's a lot dumber and loses a lot of features.

Cyrano
2007-05-23, 08:59 PM
So, according to these quotes

All psionically conditioned creatures within 50 miles of each other and their masters are in constant communication.

If it does not, it merely becomes catatonic until back within range of the hive mind
If, say, you have Psionically Dominated Uber Dragon (We'll call him A) and his halfling master (Whose appelation shall be 1) leaves, A can go into catatonia until such time as timid Kobold mastter (Z) shows up with psionically dominated Tarrasque (Jim), at which point A and Jim instantly "hive mind" together, which makes A once more the servant of a master...but the servant of master Z? Now, that would be
HYPER RIDICULOUSLY COOL
, but I just wanna be sure I understood you. Anyway, verah, verah, VERAH kewl.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-23, 09:01 PM
So, according to these quotes

If, say, you have Psionically Dominated Uber Dragon (We'll call him A) and his halfling master (Whose appelation shall be 1) leaves, A can go into catatonia until such time as timid Kobold mastter (Z) shows up with psionically dominated Tarrasque (Jim), at which point A and Jim instantly "hive mind" together, which makes A once more the servant of a master...but the servant of master Z? Now, that would be
HYPER RIDICULOUSLY COOL
, but I just wanna be sure I understood you. Anyway, verah, verah, VERAH kewl.

That would be correct.

Cyrano
2007-05-23, 09:07 PM
Ok....say also that 1 and Z create a massive war between their psionically dominated Solar Army and the Tarrasque Militia, will both sides get equal bonuses, effectively being one massive unflankable hive mind that's trying to beat itself to death?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-23, 09:08 PM
Ok....say also that 1 and Z create a massive war between their psionically dominated Solar Army and the Tarrasque Militia, will both sides get equal bonuses, effectively being one massive unflankable hive mind that's trying to beat itself to death?

Hm.

I hadn't considered two hive minds.

EDIT: Altered text. Now will only come out of catatonia if within it's own hive mind.

Winged One
2007-05-23, 09:16 PM
Point taken, though why would it raise the CR? The creature may be mildly stronger physically, but it's a lot dumber and loses a lot of features.

After a closer inspection of Berserk and One of the Many, I withdraw my suggestion.

katarl
2007-05-24, 12:22 PM
Theoretically, a player character could use this. Let's say that this player character is me. Whats to stop me from capturing creatures, subjecting them to several weeks worth of psionic dominate, and giving them this template?

Jack Mann
2007-05-24, 12:32 PM
The fact that only the DM can decide when to add the template?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-24, 12:33 PM
The fact that it's a Vile act and will move your character's alignment one step closer to evil?

I mean, okay, if you're in an evil campaign, then there's no problem with that, but otherwise, I think the rest of your party will have some issues with you doing that, not to mention the DM.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-05-24, 01:04 PM
And let's not forget the fact that even if you did do so, it wouldn't actually be all that bad for anyone; the template giveth, and the template taketh away.

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-05-24, 07:56 PM
Awesome! I've been wondering what the exact qualities of being an illithid thrall are. Now I can spring this on the players!